IGNORED

Opinions on the Wii U? Someone is offering me one for $100...

So someone is offering to sell me a 8 gb Wii U system for $100 shipped (the goods option too). That includes the gamepad, system, cords, and power supply and one virtual console game downloaded on it. Is it worth the $100? I mean that is an amazing price, but would I enjoy it? I can't even scrap together $100 at the moment :(. I might have to put up a sale post here later.

If in the end I can't afford it, would anyone like the guy's info? He put it on hold for me, but I can either tell him that my friend wants to purchase it or something. I would rather it go to someone here on atariage than a stranger to be honest. Thanks!

I have the Wii U. I truly enjoy it a lot. I have Super Mario U, Super Luigi U, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, and NES Remix. The NES remix is a must have in my opinion. A lot of classic NES games used as mini games and a great twistvto the concept. Plus it has Super Luigi Bros. Which is a reversed original SMB plus he jumps higher and a Nintendo World Championship bonus game. Super Mario 3D World looks amazing but don't have that one. A great multiplayer game if you like to have your family play. Captain Toad's TreasurevHunter looks great and is an adventure/puzzle game if you like Mario vs. Donkey Kong. For $100 I'd jump on the deal. I personally enjoy it. And if you have Wii games it is compatible for the Wii U, but not Game Cube games.

• Like 1

I have the Wii U. I truly enjoy it a lot. I have Super Mario U, Super Luigi U, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, and NES Remix. The NES remix is a must have in my opinion. A lot of classic NES games used as mini games and a great twistvto the concept. Plus it has Super Luigi Bros. Which is a reversed original SMB plus he jumps higher and a Nintendo World Championship bonus game. Super Mario 3D World looks amazing but don't have that one. A great multiplayer game if you like to have your family play. Captain Toad's TreasurevHunter looks great and is an adventure/puzzle game if you like Mario vs. Donkey Kong. For $100 I'd jump on the deal. I personally enjoy it. And if you have Wii games it is compatible for the Wii U, but not Game Cube games.

Darn it, I really want it now! That's what I am looking to do (play with my family I mean). Thanks for the insight!

Hey, I just wanted to chime in on this. I would jump on a Wii U @ $100. Largely for the same reasons Retrogamer81081 mentioned... I also feel like Nintendo has the best first party games, even if they do lean towards family friendly. I picked up mine with New Super Mario Bros WiI U in 2013 and have just about every first party game. Now with Splatoon, I feel like the system has a legitimate contender for "best of" for almost every genre. Go for it...

• Like 1

Backwards compatibility is also nice, although I wish that there was off-screen with the gamepad for Classic Controller enabled Wii releases.

I like that the Wii U automatically pillarboxes 4:3 content while stretching 16:9 widescreen games, rather than having to manually disable and enable stretch mode as appropriate for each game. And while most HDTV scalers can handle 480p fine, the Wii U does a much better job at upscaling it than my tv does. And I suspect it probably deinterlaces 480i titles like the Resident Evil Archives line and MadWorld better than most sets do.

And it does all this with perfect compatibility.

Edited by Atariboy

WiiU for $100 is a steal. The exclusive games are astoundingly good, stuff already mentioned like DKC:TF, NSMBU and The Wonderful 101 are must haves. And, since the console is not doing so good, alot of the cross platform games are way cheaper on the WiiU than the other system. I scored Watch Dogs for $12 brand new, and Sniper Elite V2 for $12 also.

And, I don't care how paranoid this makes me sound, but I don't worry about my WiiU spying on me and transmitting everything I do in my home to the NSA for meta-data collection.

I would jump on the chance for a $100 WiiU if I found one that cheap, because I need one to keep at work. haha.

Edited by Nuclear Pacman

$100?! Is this guy selling it for crack or something? Absolutely yes you should buy it! You'd almost be nuts not to. Just remember you'll probably need an external hard drive for it, since the internal storage won't get you very far in this day and age.

$100?! Is this guy selling it for crack or something? Absolutely yes you should buy it! You'd almost be nuts not to. Just remember you'll probably need an external hard drive for it, since the internal storage won't get you very far in this day and age.

Other than Mario Kart 8 DLC and the prospect of Fatal Frame 5 being an eShop exclusive, I think it would've worked for me. You can fit an awful lot of Virtual Console, smaller scale eShop exclusives like Shovel Knight, game saves, and such in 8 GB's.

Plus with how Nintendo likes 1st party games to go out of print and/or never seen a price drop, and high used price points for major Nintendo releases as they age, it's not such a bad time to start gathering up 1st party Wii U releases here and there.

They're not too likely to drop significantly and by waiting, you're as likely to risk paying original MSRP for a used copy as you are at actually saving anything.

And with some of the low print runs for 3rd party titles, now probably is ideal for that stuff as well, if one is interested in something like the Wii U's solid Need for Speed release from Criterion.

Edited by Atariboy

I enjoy my WiiU and would recommend it, but there's a reason you are getting that one so cheap... It's an 8 GB Model.
I got mine at launch thinking I could flip it, but then I went "nope" and kept it.
The problem I ran into fairly quick (even with disc-based games) is that everything was eating up those 8 GBs of space.
System updates alone took nearly half of the space, and I was left with nothing to install games or even game updates.
I ran out and got a small 32 GB flash drive (I wanted a tiny one that wasn't always sticking out of the console) and plugged that in.

If you do go for that, definitely invest in a flash drive or external hard drive. One of the few flaws of the WiiU is Nintendo pushing towards digital content but only giving you 32 GB (on all newer revisions) to deal with it all...

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

$100 is a good deal and adding external storage is easy, though of course does add to the cost if you don't already have an external drive available (it's not like the 32GB model is exactly generous either, though). It's my least favorite of the three current consoles with a potentially bleak future beyond this year, but there's still plenty of fun to be had with it if you personally like the game selection.