IGNORED

Intv programming contest game ideas

Here's an interesting article I just read; it's an interview with classic game developer James Hague:

An Interview with Game Developer James Hague

And to prime you all for the contest (and à propos to this thread), I'll leave you with his closing remarks:

Do you have any advice for up-and-coming game developers?
If you’re going to work on your own projects, please don’t stoop to cloning Galaxian and Tetris and Asteroids and Sokoban and Boulder Dash and so on. There are so many other ideas waiting to be explored!

Indeed, so many other ideas! :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

Is that a sequel or an unlicensed pirate version? ;-)

It was an entirely original game based on pancakes and a government project even Snowden doesn't know about. :D

There are no pirates in the game now, but there COULD be...

And it is a waste of time anyway as the most recently posted version has pancakes in it... ;-)

That Atari2600land Guy stole my idea! Mind reader! Does he think he owns all of breakfast now?

Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Catsfolly

]

Here's an interesting article I just read; it's an interview with classic game developer James Hague:

An Interview with Game Developer James Hague

And to prime you all for the contest (and à propos to this thread), I'll leave you with his closing remarks:

Do you have any advice for up-and-coming game developers?

If you’re going to work on your own projects, please don’t stoop to cloning Galaxian and Tetris and Asteroids and Sokoban and Boulder Dash and so on. There are so many other ideas waiting to be explored!

Indeed, so many other ideas! :)

-dZ.

On the other hand...

My jazz-piano playing friend told me that all the "greats" of jazz piano were classically trained, and then made the jump from classical to jazz.

He seemed to think that being grounded in the classics must be a good foundation for making good jazz.

So maybe programming a version of a classic game might give someone a good foundation for making new original games.

For instance, as a random example, if someone made a detailed study of and created their own version of say, "Pacman", it might help them to make a nice original maze game in the future.

Catsfolly

For instance, as a random example, if someone made a detailed study of and created their own version of say, "Pacman", it might help them to make a nice original maze game in the future.

Oh, no. That would never happen. That game would probably suck. :grin:

Seriously, your point is well taken and I agree with you overall. As I told Rev recently in a different conversation, it really does not matter to me if we get 5 version of Flappy Bird, as long as new programmers gain confidence and comfort on the platform that will hopefully lead to original works some day. :)

-dZ.

• Like 3

It was an entirely original game based on pancakes and a government project even Snowden doesn't know about. :D

There are no pirates in the game now, but there COULD be...

That Atari2600land Guy stole my idea! Mind reader! Does he think he owns all of breakfast now?

Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Catsfolly

]

Well, currently only round waffles, square waffles and pancakes (and bacon, syrup and jam.) That leaves you with sausages, muffins, croissants, honey and back bacon and any weird stuff the Europeans eat for breakfast...you could do the Secret EU Government Breakfast Project. And since they drive on the other side of the road in some parts, have everything move left to right...;-) and add French, German and Italian Intellivoice phrases.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

On the other hand...

My jazz-piano playing friend told me that all the "greats" of jazz piano were classically trained, and then made the jump from classical to jazz.

He seemed to think that being grounded in the classics must be a good foundation for making good jazz.

So maybe programming a version of a classic game might give someone a good foundation for making new original games.

Catsfolly

How about a new Music Synthesizer game for ECS?