IGNORED

New (alt) BIOS for Ultimate 1MB/Incognito

Actually, I'd already catered for the situation described above: the bug was caused by a typo. Try this PBI update:

Ultimate:

attachicon.gifulpbi155.rom

Incognito:

attachicon.gifinpbi155.rom

This whole section of the API needs some amendments. The loader really needs to be able to toggle the state of BASIC on the next reboot without having to simultaneously perform a volume mount. I'll add a separate SIO command for setting flags in the next version.

Hi,

I can confirm, that disabling basic with this new rom works fine. Thanks for the great support!

Cheers,

Jozsi

• Like 1

1st... GREAT WORK FJK!!! Big thanks for all the hard work.

Now my lil problem...

After the latest updates I have the problem, I can't use the SHIFT key for cold start. If i change the BIOS-Settings to use the SELECT key for cold start, it's working well.

Both SHIFT keys are working great in BASIC or SELFTEST but not if I try to use it for cold start.

Am I the only one having this problem?

greetings Mario

toolfnt.zip

This tool font has been added to all of the OS Roms that I use for my Atari Emulation with Altirra.

For some reason I have just really began to enjoy this font. I have even added it to my Last Word folder on my partition to use as my default font.

Some of the Atarians here at AtariAge have requesting sharing of Ultimate ROMS.
SO Here is my addition to this list.. All the latest bios, pbi, and side loader roms in the ST39F040.ROM

rdea6

*Note [warning]
Also the OS roms have been modified to to disable ATTRACT mode.

REV2FHKR.ROM has the SIO patch by Hias 1.30

REV4FNK.ROM is for use with my XEGS game slots

ALTIRRAF.ROM is here just because the U1M rom has room for 4 OS slots

MyBIOF11.ROM is mostly used on my Atari 800 XL and used with the MyIDE 2 cart.

Ultimate.atr

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or does anyone else have trouble with toggling stereo on and off with the latest versions?

It does not work for me. I have been told it works with the Lotharek board, but I have checked and double-checked my wiring and it is correct. The old BIOS switched it on and off just fine, but the new one does not.

Now, I *just* recently saw a post that had different connections for the +5VDC & GND for the USWITCH, but not sure if that would make a difference or not.

At some point I had it working with a U-Switch board I'd built based on Lotharek's original diagram, but then I installed one of Lotharek's new switches and I believe a newer version of the U1MB BIOS as well and discovered it wasn't working. With the stock BIOS it does work though. It doesn't matter where you get the power from, I just grabbed power from the same sources as the 74LS08, right next to the POKEY.

At some point I had it working with a U-Switch board I'd built based on Lotharek's original diagram, but then I installed one of Lotharek's new switches and I believe a newer version of the U1MB BIOS as well and discovered it wasn't working. With the stock BIOS it does work though. It doesn't matter where you get the power from, I just grabbed power from the same sources as the 74LS08, right next to the POKEY.

Well, that's what I thought, but was willing to think outside the box. However, I am very glad that someone else was experiencing the same thing.

Is it just me or does anyone else have trouble with toggling stereo on and off with the latest versions?

I take it you mean the option to toggle stereo is greyed out, otherwise it could not fail to work since it toggles the exact same pin (M0). This would suggest your stereo board was not detected in the first place, or a change in its state could not be detected in software after toggling the switch. Which version of the new BIOS signalled problems?

The original BIOS toggles M0 (and the reported stereo status) regardless of whether it's connected to anything and whether there is a second Pokey in the computer, so it might be worth checking that the stereo state actually reflects what the original BIOS is telling you. The new BIOS simply toggles M0 and tests for stereo with the switch on and off. If the option is greyed out, it means that toggling M0 does not actually affect the stereo board. If it did, it would not be greyed out. We cannot blame the IRQ based stereo detection code, meanwhile, since it plainly detects your stereo board in its always on state. Unfortunely in your case stereo is also detected when M0 = 0, assuming the u-switch is wired to M0 and not S0 or S1 (which the original BIOS would not care about).

Edited by flashjazzcat

Yes, it does actually toggle on and off with the old BIOS. Not only does the LED turn on and off, but I can hear the stereo or mono output. The original U-Switch specifications which I'd built my original board off of was just the LS04 and CD4066 wired in. The new one that I received has resistors and capacitors, along with LEDs to show power and switch status. Due to the capacitors there's now also a delay in switching. Perhaps that is what is causing the issue with your detection?

Due to the capacitors there's now also a delay in switching. Perhaps that is what is causing the issue with your detection?

Ah, and so we uncover the cause. ;) A delay in switching is unexpected and will indeed break detection, since I don't wait around. I can add a short delay if it would help, but I don't want to prolong the boot stage much. How many machine cycles do I need to wait?

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

A lot. I don't think detection is going to work. I can check actual timing in a bit, but it's variable and is probably a full second or more.

Interesting, since detection was developed using a couple of machines here equipped with Lotharek's U-Switch boards. I'm adding a couple more and will test those too. The whole stereo handling is part of a drop-in module anyway, so I can just make a modified version which skips detection if you like.

I can test with the modified version, but it seems like it would make for less confusion to just have a single version and drop the detection.

This is what his new U-Switch boards look like now:

http://lotharek.pl/zasoby/produkty/112/zdjecia/002_o.jpg

These are the same boards used when developing the code. Unfortunately the computer I've just fitted a stereo Pokey board to doesn't boot at all, which makes broader testing a little difficult, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how switching stereo on and off can take up to a second when the U-Switch in my 1200XL is apparently able to complete the transition in the space of a few machine cycles. I'll add a wait for VBlank prior to each test for second Pokey but I might also email Lotharek for some clarification. Aside from aesthetics, detection - providing one doesn't have to move mountains to accomplish it - is as useful as a means of visually asserting that everything works as it is effective at demonstrating that they don't.

EDIT: Emailed Lotharek.

Edited by flashjazzcat

This is what his new U-Switch boards look like now:

http://lotharek.pl/zasoby/produkty/112/zdjecia/002_o.jpg

What a difference a day makes. The A4/Bell jumpers on the 800XL's stereo board were reversed. The BIOS now detects and toggles Stereo Pokey via U-Switch without problems. I have three Lotharek stereo boards here with U-Switch soldered to them right now and all three work in the 800XL and 1200XL, apparently switching the state of stereo within the quoted "few NS".

I'm still a little unclear as to whether you're using a Lotharek U-Switch or something you've built yourself. I'm going to add a wait for VBLANK between each write to M0 anyway, but since things work without the pause here it'll be helpful if those with problems can test. I'm perfectly happy to provide custom plug-ins for special switching equipment, but unless I can be satisfied that stereo detection doesn't work with the recommended hardware (Lotharek Stereo Pokey and U-Switch/Candle Stereo board), it's not something I'm especially keen to remove from the standard build.

Here's the stereo board in the 800XL (removed from the socket so that the U-Switch - which sits under the edge of Ultimate 1MB - is visible):

post-21964-0-22953000-1455541544_thumb.jpg

Here's the +5v/GND wiring under another of the three tested boards:

post-21964-0-79923600-1455541542_thumb.jpg

The only other variable I can imagine is NTSC/PAL, but that's something I can test later today.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

My version of the Ultimate 1MB ROM image contains the following modules:

- SpartaDOS X v4.47 (7-02-2016)
- SIDE Loader v3.8
- BIOS v0.49
- PBI BIOS v1.57
- XL OS BB000001 rev. 3 (1.3)
- Altirra OS v2.80-test15
- Atari OS B (PAL)
- Q-Meg+OS v4.04
- Atari BASIC C
- Altirra BASIC v1.50
- Galaxian (cartridge version)
- Frogger (cartridge version)
- Missile Command (XEGS slot #1).

:)

You can download it also from here --> http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/projects/Ultimate1MB/ROM%20images/ and watch how to flash the old version of U1MB (with BIOS by Candle`o`Sin): http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/projects/Ultimate1MB/ROM%20images/video/Ultimate%201MB%20ROMs%20flashing.mkv

https://youtu.be/ZHFH1BCoW6I

P.S. "Separate files" version by Draco and Skrzyp.

Ultimate 1MB (AIO image).atr

Ultimate 1MB (AIO image).rom

Ultimate 1MB (separate files).atr

Edited by voy
  • Like 2

Thanks for those. At last I've started writing documentation pending a version 1.0 release and an update for all APT drivers to address an issue with 24-bit sector addressing which only surfaced now that FATFS.SYS is able to handle >32MB partitions. What I might tactfully term "miscommunication" four years or so back resulted in DUNUSE being dropped since it was understood to be deprecated. In fact SDX kernel and FATFS.SYS use DUNUSE for bits 16-23 of sector address instead of using 32-bit XDCB, so all drivers have to have it reinstated for compatibily's sake.

• Like 3