IGNORED

New (alt) BIOS for Ultimate 1MB/Incognito

It's okay, I have an adapter for my burner on the way, I will just pull the chip and reflash it with the file located here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/212773-incognito-install-a-collectors-perspective/?do=findComment&comment=2769405

That will bring me back to zero. Then, I guess, I will go about looking up a way to update the CPLD? I need to flash the XIlinix chip for that, correct? I need a cable for that, no? Anyone have the pinouts?

I have flashed many updates before with no issues, but today I ended up bricking my Ultimate1mb while trying to get all the latest updates. Now I boot to black screen. I mistakenly loaded the SIDE SDX ROM into U1mb. PBI Bios, Bios and Side-loader flashed and were working good, but SDX would not boot. I loaded Uflash via SIDE loader and tried to flash SED 4.47 again and screen went scrambled and locked up. After reboot, only black screen.

I have a xilinx programmer and have used this successfully quite a few times. Will flashing the .jed file get it back to working? The V2.Jed files seem to not be available on Candles site now. Is anyone hosting them now?

I have a G540 Programmer/chip adapters. and a Sic Cart with an adapter to use a chip that looks just like the chip on the U1mb (Square with 7 pins on 2 sides and 9 pins on the other 2 sides)

I have never flashed my U1mb Rom outside of the computer before, Anyone know of a good thread that steps though the process of flashing in a programmer?

Best Regards

Robert

Edited by venom4728a

I have flashed many updates before with no issues, but today I ended up bricking my Ultimate1mb while trying to get all the latest updates. Now I boot to black screen. I mistakenly loaded the SIDE SDX ROM into U1mb. PBI Bios, Bios and Side-loader flashed and were working good, but SDX would not boot. I loaded Uflash via SIDE loader and tried to flash SED 4.47 again and screen went scrambled and locked up. After reboot, only black screen.

I have a xilinx programmer and have used this successfully quite a few times. Will flashing the .jed file get it back to working? The V2.Jed files seem to not be available on Candles site now. Is anyone hosting them now?

I have a G540 Programmer/chip adapters. and a Sic Cart with an adapter to use a chip that looks just like the chip on the U1mb (Square with 7 pins on 2 sides and 9 pins on the other 2 sides)

I have never flashed my U1mb Rom outside of the computer before, Anyone know of a good thread that steps though the process of flashing in a programmer?

Best Regards

Robert

Please refer to my recent post on how to determine if your programmer is capable of flashing your chip.

BTW, was that a little Freudian slip there?

SDX

SED

:)

Jed with v2 should be on pigwa, but is not needed if you already got v2 in your Ultimate.

In G540 you could program this 32pin (PLCC form) flash rom, but only if you have SST chip. Amic is not supported in G540 - I have it to and had to buy SST.

Use image from post 736 - http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240034-new-alt-bios-for-ultimate-1mbincognito/page-30?do=findComment&comment=3453196

Jon - is it possible to write program, which will test if Ultimate has v1 or v2 xilinx code?

• Like 1

It would be the flash memory that's corrupt, not the Xilinx. Just reflash the ROM with the most recent full .rom file that was posted recently.

Please refer to my recent post on how to determine if your programmer is capable of flashing your chip.

BTW, was that a little Freudian slip there?

SDX

SED

:)

No slip, just too tired, also probably why it ended up bricked... :)

Jed with v2 should be on pigwa, but is not needed if you already got v2 in your Ultimate.

In G540 you could program this 32pin (PLCC form) flash rom, but only if you have SST chip. Amic is not supported in G540 - I have it to and had to buy SST.

Use image from post 736

Thank you to all for responding.

I gave flashing a shot with the G540.

After loading the ROM , the software asked what format it was in? bin, hex, Intel or something like that. I chose BIN. because BIN was the only choice that produced an output where I could see some recognizable words, like SDX. Should I have chosen BIN? I do not know?

Next, I noticed I could not find the AMIC chip in the programmer software, as you also pointed out, I had an SST from my SIC! cart; so I tried to use that instead.

Placed the chip/chip holder in the programmer and closed the lever, positioned as pictured in the programmer software.

I try to read the chip. Lockup fail.

I try to Erase the chip, Success!

I try to program the chip, the software erases again, success, NEXT: it is either verifying or reading the rom form the chip, light flickers for about 4-5 seconds. then goes out and software is locked up. repeated several times always ends with the same results. Did I do something wrong? Does the G540 just suck?

Is anybody willing to sell a couple pre-flashed SST Roms?

Best regards

Robert

Edited by venom4728a

Is anybody willing to sell a couple pre-flashed SST Roms?

Best regards

Robert

I have some AM29F040 that I use in my Ultimate 1Mb machine and an Incognito 800., But unless you post a ROM file for me to Flash on the rom you would be stuck with my Creative Rom contents.

REV2FEMUROM
REV4FNK ROM
ALTIRRAFROM
MYBIF124ROM
ATBASIC ROM
ATARI C ROM
OSBASIC+ROM
RIVERAIDROM
PAC-MAN ROM
FROGGER ROM
QIX     ROM
DELUXINVROM

$4.00 + shipping. for 2

Edited by rdea6

It's okay, I have an adapter for my burner on the way, I will just pull the chip and reflash it with the file located here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/212773-incognito-install-a-collectors-perspective/?do=findComment&comment=2769405

That will bring me back to zero. Then, I guess, I will go about looking up a way to update the CPLD? I need to flash the XIlinix chip for that, correct? I need a cable for that, no? Anyone have the pinouts?

I am quoting my own message. interesting! ;-)

UPDATE:

Got the PLCC adapter. Flashed it. Some weirdness initially, but second try was the charm. Reinstalled it. 800 Booted back to original Incognito BIOS. NEAT!

Cartridges work. NEAT!

BIOS settings won't save. @#$%^&*()

Change battery. Still no save @#$%^&*(*&^%$#

Check battery. Batteries are being drained at a PRODIGIOUS rate. Cannot figure out why. Thankfully CR2032 batteries grown on trees at my house. Cannot figure it out at all. Curse LOUDLY. Look *very closely* at battery holder. See something VERY weird. Negative contacts hook around edge. Positive contacts are on bottom of holder.. Ummmmmm. THis is why batteries are draining. Being shorted out by the holder.

So, I can either de-solder the battery holder and flip it around or I dunno. Of course, it is SMT, so that will be fun. Any suggestions? Just to make sure, can y'all check this pic? I am not crazy, right?

post-16779-0-72180200-1458456784_thumb.jpg

All you need to do is bend the (+) terminals so that they are upright (Verticle), put the battery back in so that the edge of the battery is contacting the (+) terminals and push-in...

AH, simplicity itself. All is well. CF card works great. AM not going to flash the new BIOS just yet. I am curious: Does anyone think that the battery grounding itself out would have caused the problems? It would have been doing that while I was flashing.

-M

Here's the Incognito build of the same firmware:

attachicon.gifIncognito Firmware beta release.zip

Exactly the same update procedure as with Ultimate 1MB (update all three components - BIOS, PBI BIOS, and loader - then power cycle), with the big difference that little testing has taken place. That said, the firmware is 99 per cent identical to Ultimate 1MB, but there are enough differences that some additional bugs may exist. Since nailing the IRQ bug earlier this evening, I've just been tweaking using uFlash on real hardware and haven't had to pull the flash ROM out of the board once, so I doubt there are any show-stoppers.

Is this the latest version for the Incognito? I'm ready to upgrade! :-)

Jon,

How possible would it be to add a command to the Loader? Something like Jump to mounts. This would be useful when re-entering the loader with drives previously mounted.

Sometimes I get so focused on what I'm doing that I forget exactly what I had mounted. :)

Just an idea...

Also, with the Ultimate SD cart, pressing X to disable does not do a full reboot back to the Incognito boot screen (Logo for setup, L for loader...). Is this a cart or a BIOS thing?

How possible would it be to add a command to the Loader? Something like Jump to mounts. This would be useful when re-entering the loader with drives previously mounted.

I already added a shortcut (Ctrl+B, reboot being reassigned to Ctrl+R) in the latest (unreleased) loader to toggle BASIC on and off, but what you're describing is basically attaching an accelerator key to a menu tab. I'll give it some thought. The shortcuts have to have some kind of modifier key since just typing characters enters search mode (which I personally find indispensable now I've gotten used to it being there).

Also, with the Ultimate SD cart, pressing X to disable does not do a full reboot back to the Incognito boot screen (Logo for setup, L for loader...). Is this a cart or a BIOS thing?

Neither, really: it's just that it's impossible to get that far back up the boot hierarchy from software in the OS. The boot logo (if enabled) is part of the main BIOS code and this is only mapped into the OS ROM space when the machine is hard reset (with the Reset key). The Atari OS can't map in that BIOS ROM and re-enter the state the machine was in when it was first powered up with the Incognito config unlocked.

It doesn't make much practical difference anyway: it's largely cosmetic. Even though you don't see the boot logo, the OS still boots cold when you disable the cart.

Edited by flashjazzcat

On my U1M/SIDE2 set up, I put a FAT16 partition, the APT partition, and a FAT32 partition. It seems like mounting ATRs from the FAT32 partition with the SIDE loader are read/write. Is this correct? How stable is this set up?

It's pretty cool being able to run SpartaDos 3.2 and MyDOS with the SIDE2.

It seems like mounting ATRs from the FAT32 partition with the SIDE loader are read/write. Is this correct? How stable is this set up?

Yes that's correct. ATRs have been read/write since the first version of the PBI BIOS, but maybe I didn't underline this thickly enough in the documentation. ;) They ought to be extremely reliable by now, especially in the revised firmware.

Where can I get a .bin file to flash to SST chip through a USB burner? Is this one suitable:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240034-new-alt-bios-for-ultimate-1mbincognito/?p=3453222

Yeah - you can use that one, but naturally there will have been a few fixes since then. Hit a strange bug in the Incognito loader/PBI which I need to sort out, then I'll release everything, including some complete 512KB ROMs. :)

In the meantime, a software fix which prevents partition table corruption in RAM in typical circumstances:

attachicon.gifinpbi154.rom

Power cycle or refresh partition table after applying this update, since $D5xx equates have moved.

Two months later, I finally notice that these changes broke the Incognito XEX loader. Reverting to the original RAM layout (which breaks the partition table) fixes the loader... sigh.

EDIT: I think I found a random arrangement which keeps everything happy.

Edited by flashjazzcat

On my U1M/SIDE2 set up, I put a FAT16 partition, the APT partition, and a FAT32 partition. It seems like mounting ATRs from the FAT32 partition with the SIDE loader are read/write. Is this correct? How stable is this set up?

It's pretty cool being able to run SpartaDos 3.2 and MyDOS with the SIDE2.

What you found is the strength of all this! ATR's are handled like real hd partitions. It's R/W, pretty fast (not as fast as native (apt) partitions but ok) and very stable.

So yes, you can have 16MB ATR Image as HD on your CF card, and work further on Emulator or on real hardware. Wasn't easier before!

Since pre-beta tester ProWizard doesn't use Incognito and it's been a long time since I released an Incognito update, here's the latest build. I'd appreciate at least a second pair of eyes on this before I go for a release candidate for both platforms. ;)

Incognito BIOS 0.54, Loader 0.43 and PBI BIOS 1.61.zip

Note: stuff moved around in PBI RAM again, so HDD will momentarily go offline after update and come back on next power-cycle.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2