IGNORED

New (alt) BIOS for Ultimate 1MB/Incognito

Since pre-beta tester ProWizard doesn't use Incognito and it's been a long time since I released an Incognito update, here's the latest build. I'd appreciate at least a second pair of eyes on this before I go for a release candidate for both platforms. ;)

attachicon.gifIncognito BIOS 0.54, Loader 0.43 and PBI BIOS 1.61.zip

Note: stuff moved around in PBI RAM again, so HDD will momentarily go offline after update and come back on next power-cycle.

I will put this one in right now. The Incognito 800 it is going in is VERY fresh new and 100% stable without further modification. This, of course, means, everything will go south.

So far the only issue I'm having is the known problem with some bank switching cartridges. It actually runs great in Colleen mode with 52K of RAM, but with SpartaDOS disabled. With SpartaDOS enabled in Colleen mode, it runs but locks up when running a command. In XL/XE mode it loads, but then locks up whenever I try to do anything, no matter what settings I have set (e.g. SpartaDOS and PBI disabled).

Since pre-beta tester ProWizard doesn't use Incognito and it's been a long time since I released an Incognito update, here's the latest build. I'd appreciate at least a second pair of eyes on this before I go for a release candidate for both platforms. ;)

Note: stuff moved around in PBI RAM again, so HDD will momentarily go offline after update and come back on next power-cycle.

There is something strange going on with the SIDE loader. I have a large number of directories and after I come out of one from browsing the files it reloads the list and the directory I was in is no longer being displayed. Do that a couple times and list starts going crazy.

SIDE.JPG

Edited by Frankie

There is something strange going on with the SIDE loader. I have a large number of directories and after I come out of one from browsing the files it reloads the list and the directory I was in is no longer being displayed. Do that a couple times and list starts going crazy.

SIDE.JPG

Please send me a compressed image of your CF card: it would be most useful to try and replicate the issue here.

I will put this one in right now. The Incognito 800 it is going in is VERY fresh new and 100% stable without further modification. This, of course, means, everything will go south.

I assume this is a pre-emptive "the new BIOS broke everything" set up? :) By all means leave it as is, but backing up your current ROM and trying the new build would be really helpful. ;)

So far the only issue I'm having is the known problem with some bank switching cartridges. It actually runs great in Colleen mode with 52K of RAM, but with SpartaDOS disabled. With SpartaDOS enabled in Colleen mode, it runs but locks up when running a command. In XL/XE mode it loads, but then locks up whenever I try to do anything, no matter what settings I have set (e.g. SpartaDOS and PBI disabled).

I haven't tested SDX in Colleen mode much (it doesn't seem an optimal SDX set up), but I'll have another look. It's hard to debug Incognito, but I have the Freezer at least.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Yeah, it still does that for me, but only when in Colleen mode. It seems better when in a directory with some XEX files among the greyed out ATRs.

The new loader fixed the double player width Mario in Donkey Kong. :)

Nothing else to report yet about this latest update.

Yeah, it still does that for me, but only when in Colleen mode. It seems better when in a directory with some XEX files among the greyed out ATRs.

Right... So you may have nailed the bug here? If all names on a page are greyed out?

The new loader fixed the double player width Mario in Donkey Kong. :)

Great: good to know, thanks.

Jon, do you still have the CF card image of my drive? If so, go to the Loader when in Colleen mode, and go to \Games\A\AD.

You will see a full page of greyed out files. Hit the down arrow and the next page shows 2 more files. Hit the up arrow and nothing happens. Hit Return and it gets you out.

It looks like if there is more than one page of greyed files, then it won't let you go up. If there in an XEX file on each page, up and down arrows don't get stuck.

On a single page of greyed out ATRs, the up and down arrows are locked out as expected. I suspect this is where the bug lies, in the lockout code.

I have never had any graphic corruption since the fix you sent me.

Hope this helps.

I'll go ahead and try that: wish I'd known there was an issue sooner. I'll just discard ATRs when PBI is off if it's gonna be a headache. The greyed out entries just clutter the list anyway. ;)

Having very recently flashed my 800XL and enjoying the new features (loader! yay!) and being thrown by the ATR menu skipping for a few seconds until I realized PBI was off, I was going to suggest this might be a good idea anyway :)

• Like 1

Went to do the update. Flash.xex via the SiDE loader tells me the CPLD needs to be updated . . . {sigh}

All is good so far. Not having any problems yet. Just been doing what I normally do when I have the Incognito setup running I played a few XEX games loaded ATRs (non dos atrs) aka SpartaDos data disks boot to ERROR NO DOS but that is normal I just jump back to bios menu and press 'C' and it comes back to D1: like it is suppose to.. No roms on the CF to test yet..

I played a few XEX games loaded ATRs (non dos atrs) aka SpartaDos data disks boot to ERROR NO DOS but that is normal I just jump back to bios menu and press 'C' and it comes back to D1: like it is suppose to.

That's the OS booting from the SDX partition when SDX is off. The ATR mounting should temporarily override the boot drive and revert it to D1:. Be sure that's happening, otherwise it's not working correctly.

There's one more problem I need to investigate: two 1200XLs here occasionally get stuck on a black screen on Help+Reset and when I power cycle to get out of it, the NVRAM has been reset. Infrequent but irritating.

I see that one of my 1200XLs, even before the alt BIOS was installed. I never did get it working.

That's useful info: I wondered if it happened with the original BIOS and seemed to recall it did. I'll try Avery's SPI code, but the problem is so intermittent that it's a bugger to test fixes.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Problem fixed thanks to Frankie. Some arcane code was called to reset the menu page offset when coming out of a subdirectory and said code was faulty, with the bug only triggered if there were sufficient folders in the parent directory to fill multiple pages. Fixed now. Greyed out ATRs do not seem to be a factor but I removed those anyway, and thanks to those who provided feedback on that too.

isidel44.zip

Edited by flashjazzcat

Sorry to beat this to death, but can I get a link/PDF/hail mary/smoke signal as to the process to update the CPLD on the Incognito so I can run .XEX/UFLASH from the FAT partition?

Did a forum search and found a thread about it, if that's any use:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206610-ultimate-1mb-upgrade/

Note: procedure for U1MB is identical to that for Incognito.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Did a forum search and found a thread about it, if that's any use:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206610-ultimate-1mb-upgrade/

Note: procedure for U1MB is identical to that for Incognito.

AHh, see I was looking for Incognito specific. Never know when they are the same/different. Thanks!

It actually runs great in Colleen mode with 52K of RAM, but with SpartaDOS disabled. With SpartaDOS enabled in Colleen mode, it runs but locks up when running a command. In XL/XE mode it loads, but then locks up whenever I try to do anything, no matter what settings I have set (e.g. SpartaDOS and PBI disabled).

Had a chance to do some testing in Colleen mode and SDX seems to work fine with 48KB/Axlon Enabled. Perhaps SDX is trying to use $C000-$CFFF for sector buffers in 52KB mode - in any case, it hangs here as well. I couldn't see any issues using SDX in XL/XE mode, although I have few external cartridges to test.

Had a chance to do some testing in Colleen mode and SDX seems to work fine with 48KB/Axlon Enabled. Perhaps SDX is trying to use $C000-$CFFF for sector buffers in 52KB mode - in any case, it hangs here as well. I couldn't see any issues using SDX in XL/XE mode, although I have few external cartridges to test.

The problems that I've noticed are only with using an OSS Basic XE cartridge or MyIDE II cart. Others have worked fine, including an AtariMax 8Mbit Flash Cartridge, SIC!, and Side 2. Although, I had to use a hammer to get the SIC! and Side 2 into my 800...

• Like 1

The problems that I've noticed are only with using an OSS Basic XE cartridge or MyIDE II cart. Others have worked fine, including an AtariMax 8Mbit Flash Cartridge, SIC!, and Side 2. Although, I had to use a hammer to get the SIC! and Side 2 into my 800...

I think carts are always going to present problems with the PBI BIOS until the CPLD is fixed (see earlier remarks about CCTL writes passing straight through to IO RAM). Other than that, I have no idea. Once the configuration is locked and BIOS setup gives up control, it's out of my hands. ;)

I think carts are always going to present problems with the PBI BIOS until the CPLD is fixed (see earlier remarks about CCTL writes passing straight through to IO RAM). Other than that, I have no idea. Once the configuration is locked and BIOS setup gives up control, it's out of my hands. ;)

That's what I figured, so I'm not too concerned about those being a problem right now. I'm glad everything else is working great!

It sure would be nice to get Basic XE working soon though.

• Like 1