IGNORED

New (alt) BIOS for Ultimate 1MB/Incognito

• 1 month later...

Time for an update, I think. :) The constant postponements with regard to releasing the firmware turned out to be blessings, since a nasty bug concerning AtariMax carts was brought to my attention and fixed a month or so back, and this evening I think I've fixed SD/CF adapter operation, which was hitherto extremely flaky in the loader. Turns out the SD/CF adapter wasn't always sending DRQ low following a transfer, and on top of this it flipped out when a new command was issued before DRQ deasserted. No such issues exist with 'proper' CF cards, and the fix for SD/CF adapters is cheap (spurious data register reads issued until DRQ deasserts prior to issuing the next IDE command) and free from side-effects. I know quite a few people purchased the SD/CF adapters that Lotharek started selling and that's why I spent three evenings looking into the issue until I figured out what the problem was.

I've issued the update to a couple of people who reported problems with these adapters and if their feedback is good, I'll release the firmware immediately afterwards.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 15

Time for an update, I think. :) (...)

I've issued the update to a couple of people who reported problems with these adapters and if their feedback is good, I'll release the firmware immediately afterwards.

Sweet!!!

Not always I say this but... THANKS for such *amazing work* and continuous effort to distill pure quality throughout these years...

And, of course, quality DOES take time! ;-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For those patiently waiting for the firmware update: I now have the slight issue of my Incognito board having developed a fault with extended RAM, resulting in D5 of PORTB being ignored and all extended RAM models being half the size they are supposed to be. This is a confirmed hardware fault (even the original Incognito firmware displays the same behaviour), and has not been fixed by replacing all jumper wires and ribbon cables. Fortunately the firmware update is complete anyway, and I'll stop trying to troubleshoot the issue and get on with releasing everything. It's fairly typical that my own hardware ends up wearing out while I develop software updates, of course. :) It's only unfortunate that I wasted an entire evening suspecting a bug in UFLASH when in fact it was a hardware error causing the board to be bricked every time I tried to flash a 320K SDX build to the ROM.

• Like 4

Success: the CPLD must have suffered bit-rot. :) I finally dug out the JTAG cable and reprogrammed the Xilinx chip and 64 banks are reported again.

I've seen problems crop up with the CPLD code on U1MB boards a couple of times in the past (even when no voltage spikes were involved) so I figured this was worth a shot. I had an U1MB board sent in last year which caused a system lock-up every time UFLASH was started, and was completely fixed by reprogramming the CPLD.

Anyway: back to business. ;)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 6

nope I've done it for a few people....take the laptop and the cord for a quick trip.... and in a few minutes they were back in business... it's not just you. The universe sometimes conspires against all of us. I do notice a slight pattern though.... those who move their machines a lot or tinker are the ones that need it. Others that just leave it plugged in and on the desk with everything hooked up not so much. Now the real pain in the *ss is the sio2sd atmegas all the time.... people who own those I suggest get their own setup on standby for when they flake out. :) I've got two sio2sd's sitting here right now (seems like always 1 or 2)... sigh, I've not even bothered yet. Now that you mention it, I should wire up new sio cables for them program them and pass them off to the kids....

I really need to show a few more people how easy this stuff is so when I kick others can make house-calls and the off retro clinic, before I forget which end of the iron to hold or push up daisies... it's already evident my wording and editing is history. Takes half an hour to type a rambling mess out. This muddled mess took more than ten minutes and it's full of issues... good days and bad days....

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I really need to show a few more people how easy this stuff is so when I kick others can make house-calls and the off retro clinic, before I forget which end of the iron to hold or push up daisies... it's already evident my wording and editing is history. Takes half an hour to type a rambling mess out. This muddled mess took more than ten minutes and it's full of issues... good days and bad days....

Sorry to hear that. But I've also started noticing problems with using the shift key when typing. It seems that my brain doesn't know how to sustain a held down shift key long enough for it to register with another key. After I write a sentence or two and re-read it, I see lots of things that were supposed to be shifted but are not (just had to go back and change two instances of 'i' to 'I' in this sentence). It's not a physical thing, so much as a mental issue. But if that's as bad as it gets I'll be perfectly happy. Just a little 'bit rot' of the brain is all ;) .

• Like 2

Hang in there bud!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Exact same issue this evening when flashing another 320K SDX ROM to the Incognito: bricked the board, and discovered that the last 64K of the SDX image got flashed to the bottom of the 320K region.

Presumably the Xilinx is shot and needs replacing. This is definitely not aiding the push to get everything prepared for release.

EDIT: Won't reprogram using Impact, so the Incognito is U/S until I get time to repair it.

EDIT: Angrily reflowed the CPLD and it appears fixed... This whole process now resembles death by a thousand cuts. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1