IGNORED

SHIFT838 Next Project

Shift838

Well after I purchased a couple of different joysticks from ebay seeing how they performed or lack there of. I have decided to make my own arcade style and quality joystick. These sticks will ill of course be ATARI compatible so they will be able to run on multiple systems. I am planning on making them out aluminum project boxes or other type of synthetic boxes. A material that will be sturdy.

I am awaiting parts to be shipped now. I am looking at 2 different firing buttons currently and may have 2 on the unit itself for left and right handed players. Possibly even the joystick shaft may be able to be swapped out from a smaller arcade joystick shaft to a longer one.

When I have one built I will take some pics and a video of it working.

More to come. I would like to have this completed by the August newsletter.

Edited by Cschneider
  • Like 2

Sounds like a great article. Making ones own joystick can be very satisfying. Not only will you get EXACTLY what you want, making the thing is far more enjoyable then just going out and buying something. The quality will be better too. These also make great 'first projects' as the there is minimal soldering, and what there is is easy to do.

Sounds like a great article. Making ones own joystick can be very satisfying. Not only will you get EXACTLY what you want, making the thing is far more enjoyable then just going out and buying something. The quality will be better too. These also make great 'first projects' as the there is minimal soldering, and what there is is easy to do.

You read my mind. it's will be a good read in the newsletter! Not this month though.

That reminds me I need to get this months out before the weekend.

See Fred Kaals website build your own Joystick --> http://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/joystick/joystick.html

(but I still stick to the Suzo "The Arcade" Joystick :-)

P.S.

I ordered this one so that I can use Atari joystick via an USB-interface on my PC.

(but I think the owner is in the hospital and I still did not receive it yet). If I have an update I will let you

know how this one works

USB Joystickadpter - K - V2.1

http://www.sinchai.de/index.php?main_page=page&id=17&zenid=f8d76cfb86887684be7cba088af3cd64

You mentioned that you wanted to make it with a 'sturdy' material. Have you ever considered Oak? If you have the right tools, wood is fairly easy to work with and lasts for generations, it looks and feels good as well. I made the joystick (pictured below) in 1986 and used it until 1990, and bought it back about a year ago. It's 29 years old and still looks pretty good. The top where I mounted the stick is clear plastic painted on the backside with black spray paint. I used the original TI joystick cable because at the time I was poor (new baby) and didn't want to spend more.

gallery_35324_1001_907974.jpg

I ordered this one so that I can use Atari joystick via an USB-interface on my PC.

(but I think the owner is in the hospital and I still did not receive it yet). If I have an update I will let you

know how this one works

USB Joystickadpter - K - V2.1

http://www.sinchai.de/index.php?main_page=page&id=17&zenid=f8d76cfb86887684be7cba088af3cd64

This is the adapter I'm using - and it works perfectly. You can play MunchMan with it and you won't miss the turns. :-)

Currently I am using the PS3 type of joysticks (both cabled version from TopTech) and Wireless from Oker.

(and yes...we miss the Munch-Man turns :-) I need to have my Suzo's The Arcade working on the PC).

But what I also need is this:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/236035-ti-emulators-and-joysticks-can-we-program-buttons-for-redo-back-and-enter/

(With the wireless joysticks I can sit 4-5 meter from the screen (using MESS, Classic99, V9T9, etc.),

but I need to have a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse next to me.

it would be very nice to get these functions to work on the wireless controllers "REDO", "BACK", "ENTER", "1" and "2"

(so that we do not have to switch to the keyboard each time, when playing ...

- Blasto, Barrage, Munch-Man, Parsec and most games relying on these function keys, etc.