IGNORED

Made an offer on ebay

I don't know if it's just happening to me lately but I've noticed sellers just let offers expire with no response. An offer is valid for 48 hours and the seller has that time to either accept or counter offer but I've been noticing offers just expire without a peep from the seller.

I've seen that a lot too but it's nothing recent, it's been going on for years.

I think some sellers add it just to keep people from telling them they want too much.

We need to make a Coordinated Attack on the "Make an Offer". Have 10 People offer basically the same Amount, plus or minus $25.00 or so...

We all have a general idea of what something is worth, but the Seller might figure that One Offer is just a "Low Ball" offer. But with Multiple Offers in the same range, maybe they will "get smart".

MarkO

There was the Vintropedia 2009 but it seemed to focus more on the highest achievable amount per item than a realistic average so sellers reading that publication would get the wrong assumptions.

Good thinking about a coordinated make offer campaign, in particular if they come in at random order so in the end it appears the last offer to consider is not the highest. Could be fun, in particular if it not traceable to anywhere discussing the auction.

• Like 1

There was the Vintropedia 2009 but it seemed to focus more on the highest achievable amount per item than a realistic average so sellers reading that publication would get the wrong assumptions.

I would assume there is something like the Kelly Blue Book in Europe, but in the U.S. it is the Standard to finding the Correct Price for a Automobile..

Good thinking about a coordinated make offer campaign, in particular if they come in at random order so in the end it appears the last offer to consider is not the highest. Could be fun, in particular if it not traceable to anywhere discussing the auction.

A Private Forum could be created for the Coordination.. Also, my Goal is Not to Devalue the Market, merely Educate the Sellers into doing their price Research Better.. ( What Research?? I heard that one of the Auction Houses sold a really old Apple for over a Half-Million, this one must be worth at least a 100th of that.. )

MarkO

Regarding used car prices, there seems to be at least one site for every country. Then again I haven't looked into the site you linked to, if car prices vary from state to state or are the same in the whole USA.

When translated to computers and video games, regions of course would matter, i.e. a Japanese PC Engine tends to be cheaper than an European TurboGrafx, and vice versa it is much easier to find an inexpensive Amiga 500 in Europe than to find one in the US. However market value on our stuff shouldn't depend on whether you're in Oregon, California or New Jersey (or for that matter the UK, Austria or Sweden), the market isn't that big and based on daily needs.

What I would like to see statistics on is how many of those items sellers who go "if I don't get well paid for it, I will recycle it instead of letting it go cheap", in the end actually toss their stuff instead of getting the money the market is willing to pay. I hope and imagine very few really take it to that extreme, but who knows?

Regarding used car prices, there seems to be at least one site for every country. Then again I haven't looked into the site you linked to, if car prices vary from state to state or are the same in the whole USA.

For the U.S., other than California, which has more strict Smog Restrictions, the cars are basically identical.. I am sure that Local Prices Vary, since the Cost of Living and Minimum Wage varies..

When translated to computers and video games, regions of course would matter, i.e. a Japanese PC Engine tends to be cheaper than an European TurboGrafx, and vice versa it is much easier to find an inexpensive Amiga 500 in Europe than to find one in the US. However market value on our stuff shouldn't depend on whether you're in Oregon, California or New Jersey (or for that matter the UK, Austria or Sweden), the market isn't that big and based on daily needs.

I agree... Because of International Shipping and Communication, a Common Price should be obtainable... The Cost might not favor your Local Economy, but your Market is much larger than your Local Economy..

What I would like to see statistics on is how many of those items sellers who go "if I don't get well paid for it, I will recycle it instead of letting it go cheap", in the end actually toss their stuff instead of getting the money the market is willing to pay. I hope and imagine very few really take it to that extreme, but who knows?

With some of the "Snarky Remarks" some of the Sellers have to members of the Old Computer Community, I wouldn't be surprised that they would just Recycle them for Spite... OTOH, some of these places that Recycle are good about finding items of Value and handling them appropriately.. The Apple I in San Jose was a good example...

MarkO

For the U.S., other than California, which has more strict Smog Restrictions, the cars are basically identical.. I am sure that Local Prices Vary, since the Cost of Living and Minimum Wage varies..

Local prices vary due to supply and demand. Larger markets (like cities) usually have lower car prices and more cars to choose from. Smaller markets usually have higher prices and less cars to choose from.

• Like 1

Local prices vary due to supply and demand. Larger markets (like cities) usually have lower car prices and more cars to choose from. Smaller markets usually have higher prices and less cars to choose from.

Very True, but Older Electronic Computers and Video Games are "portable enough" to not be limited to a Regional Area. As noted above, certain Regions have more of a given Model than other Models, like the Amiga 500, so the prices may be lower than more rare models or Brands. Also there is the Video Encoding Issues, that vary from Region to Region..

MarkO