IGNORED

Mega Man Legacy Collection (XB1, PS4, 3DS, PC)

Atariboy

I always have this exact conundrum with Capcom...

I hate how they do some things, but then I realize I have to choose one of two paths:

1. Support any Mega Man game (or other likable Capcom series) in hopes of getting more and better games in that series.

2. Don't support Capcom's generally lazy cash grabs because they should put more effort in.

I tend to go the former rather than the latter because I'd rather put money in with hopes of enough support bringing about more games I actually want. Then I start thinking "but I'm supporting lazy business tactics!" and keep going around and around until I just don't know what to do...

I JUST WANT MEGA MAN LEGENDS 3 ALL RIGHT!?!?

• Like 1

Only Legacy Collection 1 will be on cartridge for the Switch. You get Volume 2 with the purchase, but it's a DLC code.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/02/the_mega_man_legacy_collection_1_and_2_are_headed_to_switch_on_22nd_may

Not a bad way if one is dying for the original NES games on their Switch, but if you love physical media, this really is only Mega Man Legacy Collection Volume 1.

Was curious what the file sizes were for these two. The Playstation Store shows volume 1 as 289.6 MB and volume 2 as 4.96 GB. So a comfortable fit for an 8 GB Switch cartridge.

That Capcom is sticking this on a 1 GB cartridge probably isn't shocking anyone. They're not one for placing the interests of gamers ahead of their balance sheet, which is a major reason why they're not the giant that they once were. Treating your customers right is the best way to be rewarded financially.

I wish they'd of at least stuck Mega Man 7 and 9-10 on the cartridge. Plenty of room for those to fit here comfortably. Seems a shame to relegate those three to digital only status on the Switch just because the weakest of the the lineup is such a large game thanks to all the uncompressed FMV.

At least I assume that's what ballooned the size of volume 2 compared to volume 1. It certainly couldn't of been Mega Man 9 & 10 I would think, since they're small downloads on the PS3. And since Mega Man 7 is surely being emulated, that leaves their port of MM8 as the prime suspect for why volume 2 was over 17 times larger than volume 1.

Edited by Atariboy

I did some research back when this garbage started happening with Resident Evil and I found out the current expense to the 3rd party is that an 8GB game card costs about/around the same value as a dual density blu ray for the PS4/One costs.

Knowing that, I actually find it pretty damn offensive for them to be that cheap not to put the whole game on a card. Also being .96GB over perhaps if they were to allow themselves to properly find better ways to compress the data like people did in the day with chip based storage they could have maybe wedged it tightly into a 4GB space.

it's just Capcom stepping on the necks of their buyers again, especially as mostly common on the Nintendo platforms. They give something nice in one hand, and when you look down at it, give you a nasty right cross to the kisser with the other. They suck.

I was going to buy the game, but now almost surely will not, definitely not for what they're asking. I backed off RE Revelations too when I found that #2 wasn't on the card, so why treat Mega Man any different. Hopefully is sells awful so they learn a lesson. If they see their fully placed games on chip do well and their halfassery sells like garbage maybe they'll catch wise.

EA is learning this lesson right now in the UK. Did you see the story from yesterday? They price dropped that FIFA Sports game of theirs. It had come out with a chunk of the retail package missing the other versions got and at full retail price. It sold so badly it was almost if not the worst sales tracking game in the region. They dropped the price by cutting like a 1/3 off the top, and suddenly sales went up 500% steadily since. It's not one of the best selling games as of that change date in the same space. Imagine that? Cut 1/3 of the game at full price -- no sales. Cut 1/3 of the game and 1/3 of the price -- BIG sales. Shocking! Nintendo owners aren't the blind morons they treated them as. Capcom needs this basic lesson in economics it appears.

• 1 month later...

I picked up the Legacy Collection 2 a little while ago (Xbox One version) and wanted to chime in that this collection might be the best way to play Mega Man 9 and 10 these days. The overall image has been improved and is much sharper than the 360 versions I have. Also, all of the DLC is included and there are extra challenge modes included that you don't get with the original releases. I still need to try Mega Man 7 and 8, but I think the pack is worth having for 9 and 10 alone, particularly with how cheap you can get it physically (I nabbed mine for $10 at Wal Mart).

• Like 1

Capcom has posted a Mega Man X Legacy Collection trailer.

Looks like two volumes again, with the lineup split up down the middle.

No clarification obviously on if everything will be on cartridge for the Switch. But with what we know about the upcoming Mega Man 1-10 bundle, I'd be skeptical and would count on there being a day 1 download to install additional game data to sd card.

So if one wants a true physical release, you probably should plan on a XB1 or PS4 copy (Edit: Assuming retail versions are even released. Does this Japanese trailer confirm that?).

Edited by Atariboy

Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 + 2 releases in Japan on July 26, 2018 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC. The game will get a physical release only on PS4 and Switch in Japan, where the PS4 version will come in two discs and the Switch version will come with a Switch cartridge and a download.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/04/10/mega-man-x-legacy-collection-1-2-officially-announced-releases-july-26-in-japan/

So I guess that confirms physical releases and a day 1 patch for the Switch versions. I assume Capcom won't be passing over the XB1 for a western retail release (unlike in Japan where they're making it a digital exclusive for obvious reasons).

Edited by Atariboy

I didn't see anybody directly mention this, so I thought I'd post it.

They've revealed that the split is indeed 50/50.

X1 thru X4 will be on the first collection.

X5 thru X8 will be on the second collection.

I'm going to pick up both of them via the two disc set for PS4. It'd be cool on Switch, but I don't think I'd care for anything past X4 on Switch.

And a little article from Capcom~

http://www.capcom-unity.com/capkel/blog/2018/04/10/mega-man-x-legacy-collection-1-and-2-launch-july-24th

OK, so it appears they are bundling both together for $40 physically. You'll still get two separate discs, but at least they are coming together in the same package. That's reasonable to me considering you get all eight games with it (I mean, heck, it costs nearly $40 just to acquire a copy of X8 on its own on PS2). I will probably pick this up in that case. I assumed they were going to split the physical collection into two releases like with the original Mega Man Legacy Collections.

• Like 2

Thats on disk though but what about the switch? Its a known Capcom is brutally cheap to where they put MML1 on a 1GB card instead of pennies more for a 2GB to fit both games. Would they do this again and have the X part 2 series a download keeping up the cheap streak if it's released at all.

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 with Mega Man 7 for the Super Nintendo, Mega Man 8 for the Playstation, and ports of the NES styled Mega Man 9 & 10 from the Wii generation is just shy of 5 GB in PS4 form on the Playstation Store.

Perhaps I'm underestimating compression techniques, but I really doubt that Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 with two PS1 and two PS2 games is anywhere close to fitting within the confines of a 2 GB cartridge. I'm unsure what developer is handling it other than knowing that it isn't Digital Eclipse, but I bet it's the same one as behind Mega Man Legacy Collection 2. If so, that probably seals the deal that it will be significantly larger than that earlier compilation.

And knowing Capcom, I wouldn't be surprised if volume 1, which is what comes on cartridge for the Switch, also requires a sizable day 1 update to access some of the content. The first two X games are of course SNES games, but X3 quite possibly is a port of one of the CD versions (Although I'm hoping for the SNES original) and X4 will have to be based off something like the PS1 version.

Considering the size that MMLC1 is on the Playstation Store, I'm skeptical that today's Capcom will put X1-X4 on a cartridge that will fully accommodate it.

Edited by Atariboy

Like with Mega Man X Collection for the PS2/GameCube, You can fit all 6 Games on 1 Disc

I don't see the Logic releasing Mega Man X Legacy Collection for the PS4/Xbox One/PC on 2 discs

All 8 Games plus Extras can fit on a Single Blu-Ray Disc, On the Switch..don't know how big the cards are

Pre-order is up on Gamestop! I know most of you don't like GameStop, but I'm going to link all three versions anyways~

PlayStation 4

Nintendo Switch

Xbox One

Unsure about other placings having it up...but they're doing this kinda weirdly shortly, so I'm jumping on it now to be safe. I'd assume everybody, but maybe they're keeping the physical copies on a limited release?

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 with Mega Man 7 for the Super Nintendo, Mega Man 8 for the Playstation, and ports of the NES styled Mega Man 9 & 10 from the Wii generation is just shy of 5 GB in PS4 form on the Playstation Store.

Perhaps I'm underestimating compression techniques, but I really doubt that Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 with two PS1 and two PS2 games is anywhere close to fitting within the confines of a 2 GB cartridge. I'm unsure what developer is handling it other than knowing that it isn't Digital Eclipse, but I bet it's the same one as behind Mega Man Legacy Collection 2. If so, that probably seals the deal that it will be significantly larger than that earlier compilation.

And knowing Capcom, I wouldn't be surprised if volume 1, which is what comes on cartridge for the Switch, also requires a sizable day 1 update to access some of the content. The first two X games are of course SNES games, but X3 quite possibly is a port of one of the CD versions (Although I'm hoping for the SNES original) and X4 will have to be based off something like the PS1 version.

Considering the size that MMLC1 is on the Playstation Store, I'm skeptical that today's Capcom will put X1-X4 on a cartridge that will fully accommodate it.

I kept seeing 2GB thrown around, but my original point is still very valid because it's a known that the 8GB Switch card cost to a developer is on par with a blu ray rate for the PS4/XB1, so I'm still at a loss why Capcom would be so cheap and offensive about it risking a lack of sales from infuriated consumers on a leading system. It's grade A stupidity at its finest.

As NinjaWarrior pointed out the MMX Collection itself fits on a GC disc, and those are padded out always to fill the full 1.5GB space they have, so it could be loaded or fairly middling at that.

NinjaWarrior currently the Nintendo Switch card choices are 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB. The 8GB games cost what a blu ray pressing does. 16 and 32 get notably more expensive where they stopped at 32GB because the costs just hurt enough to where the Switch tax some losers charged is entirely validated and fair at that price. Yet Square-Enix was happy to throw out at launch no less on a 32GB card Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 for a standard non-inflated price, so there is profitability there even if that probably did cost them less as the games were already out and just ported.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Surprisingly, there are no save states with the X collection.

In better news since that's a handy feature that I'd of liked to have seen, X3 is the superior SNES version rather than the PS1 version that was ported the last time Capcom compiled these games together over a decade ago. While both would be preferable, at least they've selected the best version to feature.

And X4 is the PS1 version, which apparently lacks some background effects that the Saturn version has.

Edited by Atariboy