IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

Damn, you're quick. I finished the first planet and got 969, and I was on the last piece for the second planet when I ran out of time. I used to play this a lot as a kid but never got much better! That's why Classic99 supports the method it uses for digitized sound on the title page (it toggles the cassette gate ;) )

post-12959-0-54202700-1530468947_thumb.png

• Like 1

Damn, you're quick. I finished the first planet and got 969, and I was on the last piece for the second planet when I ran out of time. I used to play this a lot as a kid but never got much better! That's why Classic99 supports the method it uses for digitized sound on the title page (it toggles the cassette gate ;) )

attachicon.gifClip0001.png

Hi Tursi,

Maybe I was lucky how the pieces were put together (I was just testing it to the next level as I did not see the score go up and figuring out how it works, I did not play level 2)

Cool you have the sound in classic99 !

* JS99er.net -- [Rasmus] I tried, but did not get the audio output here.

Could you please provide a normal DSK image with a standard 360K? In that state I cannot even fix it with TIImageTool. It looks like a CF7 image, but the geometry is broken, (not uncommon with disk-to-cf copies that claim to be 9 sectors/track, which is implausible).

Edit: If it is only PUSH1/2/3/4, then the attached image should work.

perfectpush.dsk

Edited by mizapf

Speech? Ah, this is done via the Audio gate? Not implemented in MAME, because never really needed. What does it mean to set/clear the audio gate? Does it cause a "pop" in the speaker (so that the sequence of pops becomes a sound)?

Speech? Ah, this is done via the Audio gate? Not implemented in MAME, because never really needed. What does it mean to set/clear the audio gate? Does it cause a "pop" in the speaker (so that the sequence of pops becomes a sound)?

Exactly, yeah. Electrically there's some bias on the cassette input, so gating on causes a little pop as the voltage jumps up, and gating off causes the voltage to drop (which doesn't always seem to cause audible sound). It's not much, so it's not very loud. In Classic99 I implement the voltage level on a pseudo-DAC channel (which I also update for very high frequency sounds - this allows the slower simulation to play back digitized audio convincingly).

Perfect Push is the only program I've seen that did it that way, everything else seems to use the sound chip - set to a high frequency and modulate the volume.

(Edit: hmm. Sounds like it's broken in Classic99 with the cartridge version - I just get some high pitched noise. Yet it still sounds recognizable on my old disk image. Not sure what the difference is!)

(Edit2: it's missing the speech data from >E000 onward. Globeron's disk image works and tracing in Classic99 suggests that just the 4 files are needed (mizapf's image works too)).

Edited by Tursi

Score 1683 -- ran out of time literally as I hit fire to push the last piece of the third rocket into place! I wasted a lot of time on the rocket being in the middle before I realized I needed to use an enemy to stop the last piece...

post-12959-0-64367200-1530662374_thumb.png

Edited by Tursi

I noticed the cartridge image did not speak. Does it load speech data after the program loads?

Nope, I checked for that and double-verified with Mizapf's disk image.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on... there's some fairly complex code that copies from RAM to VDP, then from VDP back to RAM, but it's not a straight copy (maybe an unpack loop?) Originally I thought it was doing some DSR tracking and pulling the loaded data, but now I'm not sure.

Copy protection of some sort, maybe? Would be strange to only lock out the speech though.

My old copy is a slightly different version - it's an EA#3 and loads the speech from a separate file, and doesn't have this trickiness. But I can't easily cheat and make a cart version of that since it loads the title page into VRAM before it goes back to the disk for the speech data.

Needs some hacking, anyway... for now I guess it's not missing much ;)

* JS99er.net -- [Rasmus] I tried, but did not get the audio output here.

I had no idea any software using this technique existed. I have a tape sound stream in JS99er already so it shouldn't be difficult to add this.

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 1

A little happier with this one - good combinations on the first and second level, finished the third, and had two pieces left on the fourth when I got boxed in by the enemies (my own fault, I was trying to trap them out of the way and screwed up).

post-12959-0-91831700-1530738348_thumb.png

• Like 1

I took it upon myself to make this into a ROM. It plays in Classic99 so I assume it will work with the FinalGROM or FR99.

This does not work for me on FG99. I copied the file to flash card and can see it in Windows, but it doesn't show up in the menu on the TI-99/4A. I tried renaming it from "Perfect Push_8.bin" to "PerfectPush.bin" also. Can see it in Windows, but doesn't show up in the FG menu on the TI.

Exactly, yeah. Electrically there's some bias on the cassette input, so gating on causes a little pop as the voltage jumps up, and gating off causes the voltage to drop (which doesn't always seem to cause audible sound). It's not much, so it's not very loud. In Classic99 I implement the voltage level on a pseudo-DAC channel (which I also update for very high frequency sounds - this allows the slower simulation to play back digitized audio convincingly).

Perfect Push is the only program I've seen that did it that way, everything else seems to use the sound chip - set to a high frequency and modulate the volume.

(Edit: hmm. Sounds like it's broken in Classic99 with the cartridge version - I just get some high pitched noise. Yet it still sounds recognizable on my old disk image. Not sure what the difference is!)

(Edit2: it's missing the speech data from >E000 onward. Globeron's disk image works and tracing in Classic99 suggests that just the 4 files are needed (mizapf's image works too)).

It is also possible to make these with a program of Ton. 1-bit sampler. https://m.facebook.com/groups/2209774843?view=permalink&id=10153449570349844

Sent from my VIE-L29 using Tapatalk

This does not work for me on FG99. I copied the file to flash card and can see it in Windows, but it doesn't show up in the menu on the TI-99/4A. I tried renaming it from "Perfect Push_8.bin" to "PerfectPush.bin" also. Can see it in Windows, but doesn't show up in the FG menu on the TI.

It runs on my FG99, but the speech does not work.

Questions about game play: is there any way to "pull" a ship piece or otherwise move it away from the wall, or is that part of the challenge? and is there any way to kill the aliens.