IGNORED

High Score Competition (July: Midnight/Midnite Mason)

arcadeshopper

Oh ... wrong platform.

0008a.png

Edit: This is a screenshot from MAME as well, running "Space Invaders" on an Atari 2600 console. TI Invaders is obviously much more elaborated, but this Space Invaders is just 4K in size, while TI Invaders is 4 KiB ROM + 6 KiB GROM.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2024 at 4:20 PM, mizapf said:

Hmm, missed the 10000. But I'm getting closer to it. Could keep my pulse in a safe range this time. 🙂

0057_2x.png

I almost never got to see the inchworms while playing this game--and that was in Merely Aggressive mode. . .the further monsters were nearly mythical, but I did see them a few times. Yes, my gameplay sucks. . .

• Like 3

BTW, do you know that in TI invaders, the easy level can be selected by pulling the joystick left, while the hard level is joystick right? Also, Redo and Back work all the time while the defect base is being replaced by a new one, and instead of Redo/Back at the Game over screen, you can also press 8 or 9.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, globeron said:

and in the other level shooting the red spaceship the max I can hit is till 100 point so far.

My max in this round is 167, but I managed it twice up to XXX: once back in the 80s, the second time just some years ago.

• Like 3

Wow! Downright Nasty mode really is!  :)

It has been fun to revisit this old classic. Back in the day I could play seemingly endless games (on Merely Aggressive mode), level after level. I remember one time my sister and her friends watched me play for like 15 minutes in awe of my brilliance.  lol.

As an adult I now appreciate just how well done this game is. It is a complete package, it does everything it needs to very well. The sounds effects are terrific and the pacing and sounds really amp up the intensity as things progress.  The saucer challenges between levels are a nice break/de-stressor between the levels.  Very well rounded and implemented game for the era, and the gameplay totally holds up today. A true classic.  

IMG_7531.JPG

• Like 5

16029.  I was soooo off tonight, when I finally hit this score I just said "screw it."  (In not so nice terms -- good thing I do not stream what I have to say during some of these games.)

See the link above for the replay.  The winning game starts around 1:12:50, plays until around 1:23:22 (I think my local recording time and the stream time differ a little.)  Yeah.  I played over an hour before I could get my legs under me.

tiinvadersscore1602921-Jun-2024.thumb.png.778c6a74494c3fb3ca438de03550bac0.png

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

That looks like a clear win for you @OLD CS1! Congratulations!

Actually, I found a high score list I set up in 2013, where I noted a score of 16817 that I reached that year for TI Invaders/hard. However, we all know Aesop's words, Αὐτοῦ γὰρ καὶ Ῥόδος καὶ πήδημα. Also, I reached that score with 50 Hz, and we already noticed that this is a huge difference to 60 Hz.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Αὐτοῦ γὰρ καὶ Ῥόδος καὶ πήδημα.

Truer words never spoken.

Cool.  This is my first win.  I actually want to see about getting a higher score sometime, because I understand some of my failures in the game.  But, not this month.

For July, I am going to push Midnight Mason (aka Midnite Mason.)  This is one of my favorite games, and one of the first ones I purchased with my own earnings.

• Like 1