IGNORED

High Score Competition (April: Starfort)

arcadeshopper

Hello, so today is the 3rd of April, and it seems that I get the highest score on the game that I choose!

Another victory for the TI 99 Italian User Club!!

Italy RULEZ!! :-)

On the other end I am a bit disappointed because the game I chose was probably not engaging enough... :-(

I hope to choose a more exciting one for April!

Last word about Slymoids: I cannot explain the differnence in points with Mizapf. I do try to hit enemies at the horizon or above the player, to have more points.

This is a game I played just today: I stopped at the Castel of Level 3, with a score just a little lower than the previous one (which was the best during March)

post-45282-0-90604800-1459695765_thumb.png

Maybe Mizapf waits for enemies to reach the bottom screen line to kill them?

• Like 1

Maybe Mizapf waits for enemies to reach the bottom screen line to kill them?

In most cases, yes. I caught some while approaching, but I'd guess about 20%, while 80% reach the bottom.

Congrats once more, and it's again up to you to choose another game.

Suggestions: Tombstone City (it was my second game for the TI, but I never got much practice), Guardian, Spotshot?

all right, all right it's time to take my decision...

Thanks for the many suggestions! I suggested very nice games, that I really would like to play with.

Well this month I'd like to see more people play with the chosen game, maybe Slymoids was not famous enough...

Another criteria is that after Parsec, TI Invaders and Slymoids, we need a break from shooting so much!

Moreover, I don'y want to win again, so I choose a game that engages me, but at which I was not very good, and that requires a real joystick to be played well. With keyboard is really difficult.

So, I was never that good to save pretty girls from bad guys... especially when such guys are big, heavy, strong and hairy... like ...

Donkey Kong

How do you like it?

I love this game, I hope you will enjoy this month's travel in past!

Good luck!

• Like 2

I had a few minutes to spare and was able to get 25,300 on my first try. However, when I hit the elevator level, Mario dies just before I can get to (and climb) the last ladder to save her. The timer did not run out, so I'm not sure if this was a bug with the copy I am using? I don't have time to try again right now.

I read carefully the beginning of the thread. So I discovered that I was supposed to use a strict format in announcements.

So I try to do it in the proper way:

*********************************************************************************
*********************************************************************************

TI-99/4A High Score Challenge

Month: April, 2016

Game: Donkey Kong

post-45282-0-98434200-1459979474_thumb.jpg

Prize:

Sorry, but at the moment I cannot offer a TI related prize, I don't have anything that I don't need anymore. Also, consider that shipping form Italy to North America (where most of the users live) is costly. I sincerely apologize.

• Like 3

This is my new score 83.400, but I was not done yet ... I am having some issues with the graphics

(typically when the "elevator level" comes up (after a few rounds), then when this level comes up

it mangles the screen (I keep hearing the sound, etc. and the module works, but only I need to reboot to solve it again)

Could it be something todo with the F18A video modes?

Or are there known issues with the Donkey Kong module?

Does someone have the same issues?

post-39490-0-86314700-1460187083_thumb.jpg

post-39490-0-59416600-1460187274_thumb.jpg

post-39490-0-68273900-1460187269_thumb.jpg

post-39490-0-61987900-1460187089_thumb.jpg

post-39490-0-99628100-1460187094_thumb.jpg

On the rare occasions where I made it to the elevators on RI BITD, I never had any graphics problems there. I didn't have an F18A in the console though (as they didn't exist yet). Maybe a possible report to Matthew to have him test at his end to see if it replicates?

I had the quad screen scramble happen within the last two weeks. It seemed to be a cartridge port issue... I don't think it was Donkey Kong in particular. I wasn't using Donkey Kong at the time.

I grabbed this picture cause TI crash screens are always fun.

post-42954-0-13384400-1460268086_thumb.jpg

-M@

• Like 2

This is my new score 83.400, but I was not done yet ... I am having some issues with the graphics

(typically when the "elevator level" comes up (after a few rounds), then when this level comes up

so you see the elevators normally for a few rounds, then it unexpectedly corrupts? That would be odd to blame on the F18A, since it should be getting the same commands every time it sets up. If it was on the pie factory or something that doesn't show up for a while it would make more sense -- can you confirm?

Just to help troubleshoot the screen corruption, here's my copy of DK patched for 15 lives and no collisions (you can still die by falling or walking into Kong though). If it reproduces on this one, hopefully it'll help figure out why.

To avoid use in cheating, I also disabled scoring. ;)

CheatyKong.zip

• Like 3

so you see the elevators normally for a few rounds, then it unexpectedly corrupts? That would be odd to blame on the F18A, since it should be getting the same commands every time it sets up. If it was on the pie factory or something that doesn't show up for a while it would make more sense -- can you confirm?