IGNORED

Ultimate Cart (SD multicart) - preorders thread

electrotrains

PM sent

Public invitation about Ultimate Cartridge.

Hello to all. :)

If any member need a Ultimate Cartridge, please feel free to contact me within p.m. I have arrange a last batch from these, and I need to complete the order of electronic parts.

This invitation is open till this Sunday.

Greetings Panos

If any member need a Ultimate Cartridge, please feel free to contact me within p.m. I have arrange a last batch from these, and I need to complete the order of electronic parts.

Greetings Panos

If anyone is on the fence, this will likely be the last run that Panos does. It's well worth the money and a wonderful little cart. For those of you who want one this might be the last chance to get in on a professional run.

• Like 2

Greetings Panos

PM sent.

Greetings Panos

End time of public invitation. Thanks all members who participated in this. :thumbsup:

As the last time, I hope someone else to make some more carts for any remaining interested members.

I from my side, must to complete those preorders as to proceed with the Freezers construction.

Panos.

Edited by santosp
  • Like 1

Hi Panos,

is the Ultimate Card usable on a 130xe?

If yes, should the smily face sticker look upwards when the card is inserted?

Thanks a lot.

Inviato dal mio D6503 utilizzando Tapatalk

It works perfectly on the 130XE and the sticker should absolutely be facing upward toward you. If you put it in backward you will bork your cart.

I thought the cartridge casing prevented accidental reverse insertion...it doesn't? the time honored cart format always had a couple slits in the front bottom or the front side had the bottom lip removed to prevent being inserted backwards! goes down in when faced proper and does not go in when faced backwards... when did this get forgotten?

Edited by _The Doctor__

I thought the cartridge casing prevented accidental reverse insertion...it doesn't? the time honored cart format always had a couple slits in the front bottom or the front side had the bottom lip removed to prevent being inserted backwards! goes down in when faced proper and does not go in when faced backwards... when did this get forgotten?

It hasn't been forgotten.

The cartridge PCB is designed to fit in an old cartridge shell. It can, however, be used uncased too.

(see the first post in the thread, and the extensive discussion in the cartridge technical thread).

All the owners of mine constructions, have already receive an extensive report about this via p.m.'s. Also a funny smile sticker have placed on SD card socket, as a protection measure.

;)

Although even with this the question still got asked which way up to have the sticker ;-)

Ah... so that's what that was for. :)

That and to accompany my endless (it felt like!) struggles with my 'TheCart!' flash upgrade. I acquired a full box of that 'Galaxy' themed tape that was left over after my wife made a 'Duct-tape double' for her dressmaking. Kate Bush once had a song called 'Suspended In Gaffa' which conveys much of the process.

Or contacted Lotharek to mass produce them? To his great credit, Electrotrains made this as an open hardware design after all.

Or even make them yourself! The PCB schematic CAD files are all available and I've learned its fairly trivial to have even small quantities made these days as off-cuts from larger production houses. I fully intended to do this for my own uses, but was suffering a crisis of faith at the time and backed out. I still have a handful of circuit boards though and have thought I might give this a bash again now I've got more experience in SMD soldering.

It is a very clear, clean design and I don't think any of the spares are smaller than 0805 with plenty of room around them for tack and reflow. The big CPLD is the toughest part as it has a large ground pad completely hidden underneath, so you have to use solder paste and either a careful hot-air setup or an even carefull'er toaster oven for a few minutes to get a good joint. The rest can be done via drag-soldering - even the legs on the CPLD are not all that bad once you are 100% sure you've got it properly registered against its pads, which you have to do before setting the groundpad anyway.

I have another assembly project on at the moment, but after that I think I will try and whip up my own UltimateCart. What really makes or breaks the deal is if Farnell or better yet these days RS ever get the CPLD in to local stock. Ordering from America is horrifically expensive in terms of pure delivery. The spare unit itself is pretty cheap.

• Like 1