IGNORED

Thinking of getting a NES. Which is the best option

mbd30

I see that a lot too, and it was something I figured out not to do pretty quickly when I got my first NES. Just relax, cradle the controller in your hands, and let it rest over the first and middle fingers on each hand. If you try to death grip the thing like an octopus wrapping up it's prey you're going to end up with sore hands from the corners, but if you hold it a little differently you'll have a much more enjoyable gaming experience. :)

This. I have large man hands and have never had any issues with the rectangular NES controllers. Hold it loosely in your hands and it will work like butter.

As for the OP, the BLW completely cures the cursed loading tray woes by replacing the faulty ZIF mechanism. It is a bit tight to remove carts though. Unbelievable but I haven't had a cart fail to load since I installed it a few months ago. My NES side loader is now just as rock solid as my Atari, SNES, etc...

Edited by stardust4ever

With some of your exploits that you've posted about mbd, I'm actually pretty surprised you're just now buying the NES! GL; HV Keep making topics when you're working on a game. I really enjoyed your Ninja Gaiden one.

Oh yeah. I've been doing my NES gaming on the PC with an emulator and gamepad. Ninja Gaiden plays fine that way. But the improved response times on a real NES will be nice for some games like "Battletoads" and "Punch-Out" that require split second reaction to what is happening on the screen. Maybe NG will be a little easier too.

What's weird about the NES Max is how the joypad just flops around 8-ways without any force and then you have to press down for it to register. If you're gonna do a slider, it needs to slide around and register hits by sliding, then spring return to the center. It looks like the thumb pad on a 3DS, but does not act like one at all.

So the top loader came in the mail today and I can't get any signal out of it. I hook it up to the CRT in my bedroom, turn it on, and nothing happens.

The system looks clean. The Amazon seller's description says that it has been cleaned and works great.

The A/C adapter is Nintendo brand.

I wonder if the SMB cart is bad. I'm going to try cleaning it. Unfortunately I have no other carts right now to test. My other games haven't arrived in the mail yet.

My TV is set to channel 3. Nothing happens at all when I turn on the NES.

It might be the RF, but I do get a picture through it. My ancient bedroom TV has no stereo RCA input, so I have to use a RCA/RF modulator to connect Dish satellite to my TV. When I attach the coax cable for the satellite to the NES switchbox and then the switchbox to the TV, I still get picture from the satellite but nothing happens when I turn on the NES. For the heck of it, I also tried just connecting the switchbox to the TV with nothing else connected and that doesn't work either.

I probably should wait and try another game on it so I know that it is an issue with the game or the console or adapters.

Retro gaming on original hardware can be a pain in the ass (although I've never had major issues with a Sega Genesis). No wonder people use clone systems and emulators.

Edited by mbd30

I really hope that it's not a serious issue and the system isn't dead.

But these top loaders are supposed to be decently durable and the Amazon seller (who as mostly positive feedback) listed it as very good condition with everything cleaned and working. I can't believe I would be sent a DOA unit.

Even my crappy 36 dollar top loader which is not mint condiditon works. These things are pretty sturdy. There is a switch on it for channel 3 or 4 so try 4 also. And make sure switch is all the way left or right. At least mine has one. Also might be bad cable. Or have some one send you a working cart to verify its the cart.

I have the first two Ninja Gaidens coming in the mail. If neither of these work then it has to be the console or adapters.

• Like 1

I have the first two Ninja Gaidens coming in the mail..

Great games for the NES. Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, & 3 are some of the best NES games in my collection and enjoyed many hours doing speed runs out performing my old records. Excellent choices to have in your video game library.

RPG titles are fun to play on the NES. Dragon Warrior I-IV are great titles to seek out and the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons series for the console are just as equal (if not better)!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

In my opinion, no. The replacement connectors are trash. Buy one with the original connector, and refurbish it yourself, either by boiling it or using another method like this one. Alternatively you could get a Blinking Light Win, but there is a bit of a lead time on those right now since they are still working on fulfilling all of the KickStarter orders.

The Blinking Light Win sounds like a good fix to the blinking light problem but I know for me personally I would miss that satisfying feel & sound of pressing the cart down. I don't mind ripping the console apart on occassion to clean up the pins and board, but could see how this fix would appeal to many gamers.

The Blinking Light Win sounds like a good fix to the blinking light problem but I know for me personally I would miss that satisfying feel & sound of pressing the cart down. I don't mind ripping the console apart on occassion to clean up the pins and board, but could see how this fix would appeal to many gamers.

I've also seen some complaints about really tight grip with the BLW.

Get a multimeter and test the AC adapter before doing assuming the NES is dead. If you don't have a multimeter but have a high pain tolerance, you could always lick the tip with your tongue. If you feel a shock, the adapter is good... :o

NES can take any 9V adapter with a standard barrel tip, AC or CD. Make sure it's rated for at least 850mA though.

If the adapter is good and no power to the NES PCB at all, the prime suspect would be either the 7805 regulator or the fuse inside the NES 101. Those components are an easy fix if you're good with a soldering iron. If not, hand it over to an expert. I'd hate to see a great top loader get binned because of a single cheap component gone bad.

Edited by stardust4ever