IGNORED

Finished my computer room remodeling. Commodore facing off vs Apple.

dudeslife

Haha, better looking is the a 1000, but the a 2000 packs more functionality. That's why i asked why he used the limited 1000 instead of the 2000.

I know my 1000 will have a desk as I am working on its innards: 50MHz Derringer with the 128MB mod, AdIDE, and FastPALs. I will be working on the ROM-based Kickstart at some point.

I know my 1000 will have a desk as I am working on its innards: 50MHz Derringer with the 128MB mod, AdIDE, and FastPALs. I will be working on the ROM-based Kickstart at some point.

To me, there has never been a better looking computer. I don't even like calling it the 1000.. to me it's the Amiga. The other ones have the numbers after their name. I wish I would have bought a dead one at Amiga30 so I could stick a raspberry pi in it.

Looking at this thread again... I had some thoughts. I don't want to insult anyone by my comments, so take them for how I intend it.

I would LOVE to have this set-up... I absolutely would. But there's parts of me that really gnaw at this desire...

1 - I feel like I'm wasting what little precious time I have left in my life (50+ years?) replaying old games I've already played and systems that I had the chance to play when I was younger. Why spend so much time re-living the past when I can try to spend my time living the future?

2 - With a wife and daughter, and several other responsibilities (home renovations, taking care of the yard, working on the cars, helping the neighbors, whatever...) I feel guilty every moment that I'm not spending with the family. There have been the occasional times where I've played some older games with my daughter, like... we beat Conquest of Camelot, and we beat / played Space Quest 3. I also built an arcade machine, and my wife and I each have one... but even that... I feel guilty since that's money that could have been used on her College 529 account for when she's older (though the total cost was minimal, and the other two arcade games I had from almost a decade ago).

Tell me where I'm wrong... because this hinders me from ever having this kind of set-up. I always imagine one day when I'm retired... I'll get to go back and beat / play all the games I never had the chance too... but I know deep down that probably I'll be even more concerned about wasting my time, and won't want to do it.

Todd (the buzz-kill)

56264061.jpg

Having hobbies is neither evil nor selfish. Having hobbies you can share with your family, especially your kids, will do more for them as well-adjusted human beings in the long-run than a college savings account. You can be a dad who provides, a dad who is there, or both.

• Like 1

Looking at this thread again... I had some thoughts. I don't want to insult anyone by my comments, so take them for how I intend it.

I would LOVE to have this set-up... I absolutely would. But there's parts of me that really gnaw at this desire...

<< SNIP >>

Tell me where I'm wrong... because this hinders me from ever having this kind of set-up. I always imagine one day when I'm retired... I'll get to go back and beat / play all the games I never had the chance too... but I know deep down that probably I'll be even more concerned about wasting my time, and won't want to do it.

Todd (the buzz-kill)

In the Words of Wisdom of Chris Salt, ( who is relaying the Words of Wisdom of Bertrand Russell ), "Time you Enjoy Wasting, is Not Wasted Time".

See the Whole Video Here.

See more of Chris Salt's wasted time here.

( Many Thanks to Wired Magazine for featuring Chris Salt's work, years ago.... Like the Tribute to Dr. Who, before the BBC "brought it back"...)

MarkO

• Like 1

But there's parts of me that really gnaw at this desire...

It's all about balance, choosing your priorities, and spending your precious time in accordance to those priorities. Those factors are different for everyone. Nobody can do that for you, and nobody (on a message board, anyways) should be rendering judgments (I'm not saying you were, just talking about the topic). I hear you about 'wasting' time. I actually don't spend much time playing games. I'll go for months without turning on any consoles. It makes me happy to see my 5200 hooked up, though, and in those moments when I do sit down to play a game for 20 minutes it's a lot of fun. It's okay to not spend much time or money on games. In fact, it's more than okay! It's also okay to enjoy playing games, assuming your priorities are straight. Most people have some kind of hobby, and that's a good thing.

I feel like I'm wasting what little precious time I have left in my life (50+ years?) replaying old games I've already played and systems that I had the chance to play when I was younger. Why spend so much time re-living the past when I can try to spend my time living the future?

For me (with quite a bit less time left:) ), playing old games is simply fun. It's not reliving the past so much as enjoying the present. Modern games just aren't that fun for me, so be it. Obviously and thankfully that's not the case for everyone. I have as much fun with Ms. Pac Man now as I did 30 years ago. I suspect that's the same for many people here, although I can certainly respect not wanting to spend time doing that. Different strokes for different folks. There's no right and wrong, it's just video games. Fun. Entertainment. GAMES. Put it in perspective, have a little fun, and don't over think it. I'm sure most of us here are doing the right things for us and our families.

I always imagine one day when I'm retired... I'll get to go back and beat / play all the games I never had the chance too...
My hope is that when (if?) I ever retire I'll have more time for games, but who knows. I have a big stack of RPGs I'd like to get through some day... ;-)

My 2c, YMMV, etc etc

• Like 2