IGNORED

Should I get a Sega Master System?

i bought one not too long ago for 2 reasons

#1 i like gun games i have all the gun games on the nes and thought i would try out the sega gun games and now have most of them

#2 it was featured on the "regular show"

i am disappointed you have to put the gun in controller port 1 so i am constanty pulling plugs

i got one that has 3d missile defense as the bios game

luckily when kaybee toys was going under i bought a pad and joystick on clearance and was using them with my 2600 heck i even had a different gamepad that had a switch for 2600,7800,sega but its d pad is large and annoying

Yes and yes. If you don't have Genesis or Mega Drive and don't plan to get one, Master ED is the best way to go. Of course if you have Game Gear it will work with converter to play Master ED.

I haven't found any SMS that doesn't work on ED. Just a few that doesn't like running on NTSC console but that's Sega's problem not Everdrive issue.

Good stuff on the SMS indeed. For imports, I highly recommend Asterix. Very beautiful platformer with decent controls.

If you have a Genesis/Mega Drive model 1 already, you could also opt for a Power Base Converter. Works like a charm, and even takes card games. I got one to save space on my console rack. And let's face it: the original SMS pads are not exactly comfy compared to a Genesis pad. Especially for the huge hands of us old farts.

I know Wonderboy in Monsterland doesn't work properly with the Genesis pad either through the Master System or the Powerbase converter, the player sprite keeps falling through the screen. A simple mod sorts it out though. Can't remember what it was though.

I do not like the Master System controllers at all. I don't like the mushy and awkward directional pad. Especially when controlling in games like Hang-On, Astro Warrior, Space Harrier, and Outrun. It has a weird feeling to it and it controls in the direction you are not intending to move the particular sprite.

Yep. Don't say that to any Sega fan.. but all Sega pads up to the analog Saturn controller are mushy and cheap as hell :D the layout might be good, but the quality is very subpart.

I think the SMS support using the Megadrive controllers, which is an improvement.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

I do not like the Master System controllers at all. I don't like the mushy and awkward directional pad. Especially when controlling in games like Hang-On, Astro Warrior, Space Harrier, and Outrun. It has a weird feeling to it and it controls in the direction you are not intending to move the particular sprite.

Yeah, they aren't the greatest. I seem to have more trouble with them now than I did as a kid though.

• Like 1

Yep. Don't say that to any Sega fan.. but all Sega pads up to the analog Saturn controller are mushy and cheap as hell :D the layout might be good, but the quality is very subpart.

I think the SMS support using the Megadrive controllers, which is an improvement.

Oh I won't :lol: A lot of Sega fans do defend their hardware and accessories from what I have known. I absolutley like the Genesis controller and the D pad is a tad awkward but not as bad as the Master System. The 6 button is really sweet and one of my favorite controllers plus the regular Saturn controller. I do have a Saturn controller with the analog stick as well and it feels cheaply made and odd on how you control the stick. Has an odd design and slightly uncomfortable the way you grip and move your thumb around on it.

Oh I do like how it move :D but yeah it's a bit odd.

But heh when you compare the Saturn regular pad and the analog... One have buttons that floats all over the place, and those horrible, feeelingless shoulder buttons. The other have all buttons and a D-pad that fits in the shell tightly and doesn't rattle all around.

I can't say for the Megadrive 6 buttons pads as I always saw third party ones... but I doubt it's any better than the standard Saturn pad in that regard.

Still it doesn't mean that it's not sturdy. It just FEEL cheap. Pretty much like how the Master System action buttons protrude so high and yet you have to push them below the pad surface to register a hit - if feels like they slapped various parts randomly and hoped for the best.

Edited by CatPix

In defense of the (certainly not perfect) SMS gamepad... Have you ever tried the Atari 7800 one?

Yes! I didn't like the stiff proline controllers and thought the joypad would have been a great solution. I ordered one from Best Electronics a few years ago. The directional pad is stiff and I don't like the screw on thumbstick. I may have to invest in that giant arcade style controller.

In defense of the (certainly not perfect) SMS gamepad... Have you ever tried the Atari 7800 one?

Yes. It's the one bundled with european 7800, and late 2600 Jr sales.

And if it's an acceptable Atari 2600 stick replacement, it's not too great either.

But it's kind of the opposite of the SMS pad : the overall design is much better, but the built quality is very poor and not made to last; especiall inside. On mine, I cut the cross shaped bits of plastic that presses on the rubber domes and replaced it with plastic bits, as you can see in old, used pads that those plastic fins cut through the rubber.