IGNORED

Should I get a Sega Master System?

No.

That game is extremely difficult, though. There should be no timer to make it easier.

I agree with ya on that one. I think there is something like 10-12 mazes total if I recall and only the time that's remaining gets added on to the set time you start with. It's a mini game and they should let you try out all of the mazes without a timer. Highest level I got to was the seventh maze.

I just ordered a Master Everdrive. I just went with the bare bones edition with no USB port. I figured why would I need one if I have a SD card? And with my computer, I can just slip SD cards into it and do it that way. Couldn't I just stick the chip in the Master System without a cartridge? If not, I can just probably use my Hang On/Safari Hunt cart since I never use it. Anyway, I am anxious to see what I can do with it.

Edited by atari2600land
  • Like 1

By "chip" I meant the big thing that sticks into the cartridge slot at the bottom of the cartridge hole in the console. And what do we mean by "developer"? I am making a SMS game that I would like to try on an actual console. Did I need to order the USB port if I want to try my game I am making on a Master System, or would it work without one? I just stuck the Hang On/Safari Hunt in the cart slot without the plastic cart surrounding it and it worked OK.

What chip do you wanna stick in the SMS? The Everdrive? It's multiple chips, so it's better in a cartridge. Everdrive are all made to "look" like a cartridge to the console.

He means the bare everdrive board without a shell. I just got mine this weekend to. Yes, you can just stick it in the cart slot if you are careful. I plan on putting mine in a cart but I used it bare just to test it out. I can't wait to really play some of these titles! I also need to get some 3D glasses and try the 3D stuff. I've also got the FM sound mod on the way. Now I just need to snag me an RGB to component video transcoder so I won't be stuck with composite video.

I was confused by the phrasing of "Couldn't I just stick the chip in the Master System without a cartridge?" :D

To me a chip is just, well a chip, and the Everdrive, even on bare PCB, is a cartridge of sort. Confusion ensue!

I'lll get the Everdrive and FM sound mod as well, even if it sounds a bit weird sometime. Some games you feel were made with the FM in mind, other sounds like what you could heard from a cheap kid's toy synth :D

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I got the Everdrive working. Although I don't know how to take it and put it in a cartridge with the SD card sticking out. Right now it's just the bare chip in the SMS. And it took a few tries. I kept getting an 0xD4 error message. I said "What does that mean?!" So I used the SD card from the Harmony cart and it worked.

I had the same trouble at first with mine. Initially I just dumped every rom on the card in the root directory and only some of the game showed up in Everdrive because I think there is a limit of how many you can have in a directory. Then I created directories and broke up the games but I would get that error if I tried to go into the folders. So I reformatted the card (rechecking the "quick format" option like CatPix suggested. "Low Level Formatting" is probably overkill though and isn't supported with standard windows tools). There is also something about cluster size that you might have to toggle. I remember something about it when I did mine but I can't remember if I used default or a specific cluster size. I broke my files up into SG-1000 and SMS folders and then broke them up alphabetically with about 40-60 files per folder to make it easy to navigate.

OK, I got the Everdrive working. Although I don't know how to take it and put it in a cartridge with the SD card sticking out. Right now it's just the bare chip in the SMS. And it took a few tries. I kept getting an 0xD4 error message. I said "What does that mean?!" So I used the SD card from the Harmony cart and it worked.

Well I might have been overkill. I meant to uncheck the "fast format" box in Windows :D

I'm not sure if there is a limit of files or not, but putting them at root doesn't sounds like a good idea anyway. Plus, I think that when going past something like 50 games, it get annoying to browse through files, and it's much faster to sort games in categories, either genres, or regions, or just plain "A-e" "F-J" alphabetical order style.

BTW, if you wanna get your files in alphabetical order on the Everdrive (at least the GB, but I assume their file systems works the same) you have to move them all out of your SD card and rewrite them again.

Edited by CatPix

I forgot to address your first question about putting it in a cart. I looked around for any helpful videos or instructions but didn't see any. I just took apart the cart (just two screws, removed the board, and then set the Everdrive in there to determine which side of the cart needed to be notched. Make sure you have it facing the right way. Then I put the Everdrive in place on that cart-half with the SD card inserted and used a razor blade to mark on the left and right of the card where the edges of the cutout will be. I'm sure there are a few ways to cut the section. I first tried using wire cutters to gradually cut a section at a time but that was clearly going to be ugly and risk cracking the cart. I have a small Ryobi angle grinder that I just used to grind out the section. I just did it a little at a time, eyeballing it as I went and stopped periodically to check if it was deep enough yet. Since the grinder is designed for metal is made pretty quick work of the plastic.

CAUTION: The SMS carts are not as heat tolerant as Atari carts!!!!! I used a heat gun to soften the adhesive on the label for removal and it warped the shell a bit. I've not had any trouble with Atari carts doing this. Might be better to forego the heat and just use goof-off or something if you want to remove the original label and put your Everdrive label on there. I'm stuck the the delima of "do I ruin another cart" or "do I live with the slight warping". It works fine but it isn't as "pretty" as it could be. I even refrained from putting the label on yet since I wasn't sure it was permanent.

Also, I plan on getting something like this so the SD card doesn't stick out so much:

http://www.amazon.com/Spinido-Microsd-Adapter-Macbook-retina/dp/B013UF7BL2

Edited by Mitkraft

The Master system is a great little system and good much better support in Europe compared to the US. The Wonder Boy & Sonic series are my go to titles, but I also enjoy Alex Kidd, Shinobi, Road Rash, Desert Strike,etc. I actually have a near complete US/EU collection; missing 3 games.

They only things I dislike about the system are the control pads, only system I've had multiple fail, and the pause button being on the system. So glad Sega included RGB out on the original models for all their old hardware over here.