IGNORED

How many of us "geezers" are down with the Retro VGS?

Austin

The Retro VGS. Do you think it is awesome? (Yes or no...)  

74 members have voted

1. 1. The Retro VGS. Do you think it is awesome? (Yes or no...)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Like many of us, I enjoyed the early idea of the project. A return to physical carts for longevity and purity of title.
It sounded like a great idea too! A fancy system with all the ports you could ever want, use any controller, plug into any TV, and the system JUST WORKS!
No internet, no downloadable nonsense, just a cart-based system that you plug in and play.

In a way it's kinda funny... The biggest hurdle they just threw themselves under was a price tag. I realize that the old consoles all cost a pretty penny back in the day (I still have my brother's PS1 with box and price tag of like $300. lol), but the announcement of the cost being equivalent to today's MODERN consoles and suddenly the brakes are slammed down by everybody.

And I'm not sure if anybody was truly watching them before, but now it seems everyone is noticing another issue beyond the price... The actual hardware itself! Nothing seems to have actually been constructed. We've seen the pictures of the shells and the controllers, but that seems about it.

Like it's been stated many times, they need some original material for their console. All of these (basically) ports are going to ruin any real desire. It's like when the Ouya was coming down the line. People were praising it for what it was, but then it came out and turned into a huge pile of lies. Granted it ended up being handled poorly but... Isn't this kinda heading in the same direction already? We aren't even to the Kickstarter yet, and their main crowd seems to have already lost interest/faith.

Were it a bit more affordable, I'd probably go ahead and give it a shot, but until there's a clearer area of actual original content, I don't see much use for this in my giant pile of plastic.

And as a side note, it'd be "neat" to have a console that could play a majority of my carts as they are with an adapter, but I already have things to play them... They're called the actual consoles themselves!
(Also, you could buy like 3 Retron 5s with $400 and still have money left over? Not the most pleasing image, but those seem to work quite well for what they are? I don't own one and can't confirm.)

... OH YEAH! Obviously I've voted no.

• Like 1

In a way it's kinda funny... The biggest hurdle they just threw themselves under was a price tag. I realize that the old consoles all cost a pretty penny back in the day (I still have my brother's PS1 with box and price tag of like $300. lol), but the announcement of the cost being equivalent to today's MODERN consoles and suddenly the brakes are slammed down by everybody.

And I'm not sure if anybody was truly watching them before, but now it seems everyone is noticing another issue beyond the price... The actual hardware itself! Nothing seems to have actually been constructed. We've seen the pictures of the shells and the controllers, but that seems about it.

Yeah, the pricce does kind of throw them under the bus. And I'm glad you bring up the pics. Yesterday they revealed the game console, stuffed with, wait for it...

wait for it...

wait for it...

a cardboard PCB with connectors glued on. Yes, freakking cardboard! Wonder what they use to connect it to the TV, vines??? :roll:

The internet lets everyone sell anything to anyone. The internet creates noisy psyches with a very short attention span. Unhealthy. How can you lose interest in a product before it's even finalized?

Back in the day none of this was so. And I have not voted yet, keeping an open mind. It could be awesome. It could end up on KickScammers.

I just read the "under the hood" details in the RetroVGS FAQ. If I'm understanding correctly, this thing is basically going to be an all-in-one style system that doesn't really have its own identity. Each cart will include a Hardware Description Language (HDL) that will tell the console how to behave. That is, what kind of console to simulate. So it can be an Atari 2600 or a Neo Geo based on what HDL is on the cart. So if you think of J. Edgar Hoover, J. Edgar Hoover will show up on the console. If this is the case, then this is even less appealing for me. I'd rather see them take a bunch of 6502 or 68K processors and build their own retro-modern console around it. Those are some tried and true CPUs that have been around the block. At least it would have its own personality. Take the best parts of the SuperNES and Genesis and make a kick-ass console with its own distinct traits. Make it fast like Genesis, colorful like SuperNES, higher resolution than both, hardware scaling and rotation, color blending, color darkening/lightening, alpha channels, flat-shaded polygon abilities, chip tunes, plenty of memory, etc. It would still be a hard sell for this "geezer" and they would still need some dedicated developers but at least it would be unique and I could give it the benefit of the doubt.

This jack-of-all-trades system they're shooting for is just going to end up with a bunch of ports.

• Like 1

Emehr - I believe the RVGS will have it's own identity, but can also take on the "identity" of a classic console if the devs wants (ie, Atari 2600 game plus the 2600 HDL on the RVGS cart).

Tunamelt (and others) - We don't know a price yet! We have an idea, but nothing confirmed. Even if it is in the $300 - 400 range (which is a hard pill to swallow), I'm reading about others who have paid $500 for the Analogue NT, with no regrets, which is laughable to me. Even more for consolized MVSes.

I think our skepticism is healthy. Until we have some hard facts, I for one still remain optimistic.

Make it fast like Genesis, colorful like SuperNES, higher resolution than both, hardware scaling and rotation, color blending, color darkening/lightening, alpha channels, flat-shaded polygon abilities, chip tunes, plenty of memory

Put a Jaguar in a Jaguar case? What a revolutionary idea!

• Like 5

I like the idea of games on carts and no online connectivity, DRM or updates but the time for that has passed. The N64 proved that cart based systems were no longer viable in a disc based industry and with digital media the gap has grown even wider.

Developers (and gamers) these days are used to beta testing before a game is officially released and ongoing updates/bug patches after release. Development for the Retro VGS will involve:

1) an expensive licence/development fee

2) pressure to create a 100% bug free game upon release with no feedback from the gaming public

3) pressure to create games that are up to current gaming standards without the additional support that makes them possible

4) pressure to create games that are up to current gaming standards without the file storage that makes them possible

I imagine the main reason why the console is so expensive is because, in most cases, console manufacturers take a hit on the hardware and expect to generate revenue through software. I don't think these guys are doing that because third party support for the system is a lot less certain.

I'll be surprised if this project makes it through Kickstarter.

Just like the old days which gave us all the arcade hits!

Again, come off the meds.

Back then you couldn't play those at home, which was reason enough to go out and try them. The RVGS is competing against much better (and cheaper) options.

There is no comparison here.

• Like 3

Points 3 & 4 are how we did things in the past. That worked until stuff got bloated beyond in-house testing capabilities.

Another thing, the looks of the jag housing have nothing to do with how the console operates. All this jag bashing is Internet-stupidity rearing it ugly head. At least we got away from the fumes though.

And we need developers that think about the game and not about sales. If your game is good the sales will happen. Old school, you know?

I've stayed out of this, but I'll go ahead and answer.

My interest in this "console" was mild at best when I thought it was $150. At $400, it is positively laughable. I would much rather spend that money on a PS4 or XBOne, and I'm not doing that, either.

I will be SHOCKED beyond words if this gets funded. This whole thing seems like a bad April Fool's joke. $400? Really? In a Jaguar shell? REALLY? I'm looking for the hidden camera, because we must all be on "T.V.'s Bloopers and Practical Jokes".

Parrothead either decided that he doesn't want to do this anymore so he priced it where he did so that it won't get funded, letting him throw up his hands and say "well, I tried", or he is completely delusional. GameGavel has done nothing to eat into eBay or Amazon and Retro is a decent magazine that doesn't hold a candle to Retro Gamer. This guy just doesn't have the track record, in my eyes, that would make me even kind of tempted to fork 400 non-refundable dollars over to KickStarter for some vaporware that, if it does at some point see the light of day, will not allow me to do anything that I can't already do with other devices that I already own.

• Like 6

There's a 40-page thread. I think it might have been noted once or twice...

Nein for me.

I think the only way an outfit like this could turn my head is if they got a legit company backing them up with the promise of a game or two. So it uses carts, so what? Sure, I'm nostalgic for carts but they were abandoned for a reason. I'm nostalgic for casettes and VHS too but I don't really want to go back to those.

Good luck to them I guess, I hope it takes off. These microconsoles have not had very good track records though. I'm not particularly interested in a piece of hardware that isn't going to be supported two years after it launches.

• Like 1

Austin's math isn't so great. Recheck.

Yeah it's probably more...

With the amount of nonsense generated in the three RVGS threads one NEEDS meds to stay sane. And I would not be surprised if the RVGS guys are not exactly liking AtariAge at the moment.

Well they could always print it out, they might like it more then.

• Like 1

Your math is even worse.

We get that you love the idea of a new cart based system.

If I want a cart based system I'll buy something like this and put my games on SD cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/zotac-magnus-en970,30042.html#xtor=RSS-998

At least I'll be sure that once I buy it I'll always be able to get software for it

2) pressure to create a 100% bug free game upon release with no feedback from the gaming public

Lots of bad omens, already.

I thought the Songbringer game looked really cool, so I checked it up...

https://www.facebook.com/wizardfu

And it is not finished either... So the promise 3 games that already exists (old? = retro?) and this unfinished game (so new it doesn't exist yet)?

Sad but true, if it is backed through Kickstarter, and not through a non-security channel, I could be among the last guys helping them the last bit, and we'll see about that soon. But before then... I think more ill symptoms will follow, so I'll stick to my money this time, safe from what could end up as an "accidental" pyramid scheme.