IGNORED

How many of us "geezers" are down with the Retro VGS?

Austin

The Retro VGS. Do you think it is awesome? (Yes or no...)  

74 members have voted

1. 1. The Retro VGS. Do you think it is awesome? (Yes or no...)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

If I want a cart based system I'll buy something like this and put my games on SD cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/zotac-magnus-en970,30042.html#xtor=RSS-998

At least I'll be sure that once I buy it I'll always be able to get software for it

If you shove a pile of emulators into it it becomes very much like my KVGS. Just different looks, and smaller. SD cards are like micro-carts aren't they?

If you shove a pile of emulators into it it becomes very much like my KVGS. Just different looks, and smaller. SD cards are like micro-carts aren't they?

Think if SD cards as solid state hard drives.

But if it makes you feel good, call them micro-carts. They are hot swappable with the right OS.

First of all want to state I typically support Mike and team for supporting the retro community with all that they do.

...with that being said, I voted no for these reasons as some mentioned above.

-initially cool idea, A sub $200 retro console with carts

-idea evolved, and then included a bunch of stuff I did not care about

-then the price point bomb hit and it lost me.

If the Retro VGS is going to think that people are going to support a $300+ retro system, I think it will be a rude awakening. I want to play retro games, and while its cool to see a new system, I already have a ton of systems that offer retrogaming that I can play. I just dont see enough to see if it is worth it.

Yeah, the price point and mention of adapters for various game systems just got to me. I always wanted an FPGA Arcade board but realistically that ain't gonna happen. This could be the next best thing if they start offering cart adapters with the definition files for the intended system on the adapter. HOWEVER, that also conflicts with a reason to make Atari 2600 and genesis games and buy into VGS carts. I could just sell Atari 2600 and genesis games and have a broader market. Since I have no interest in Android development or C/asm coding their SDK would be useless to me (unless a BASIC and or higher level language is planned). Quite a conundrum.

I could just sell Atari 2600 and genesis games and have a broader market. Since I have no interest in Android development or C/asm coding their SDK would be useless to me (unless a BASIC and or higher level language is planned). Quite a conundrum.

If you have no interest in C or assembler, what are you coding 2600 and Genesis games in today?

If you have no interest in C or assembler, what are you coding 2600 and Genesis games in today?

Phreakking Psychic powers. He imagines pixels on the screen and they magically appear. It's how all great games were conjured. To be a homebrewer requires wizardly powers. I thought everyone knew that. :party:

Is anyone hear passionate about the cartridges and that they're trying to bring back that idea? With everything disposable and digital, I can't see someone spending $50 bucks for a game and have it make clutter.

Today's youth are being trained to just delete or let the game expire on its own in due time. And by god they LOVE it. They can't get enough of it!

Is anyone hear passionate about the cartridges and that they're trying to bring back that idea? With everything disposable and digital, I can't see someone spending $50 bucks for a game and have it make clutter.

Today's youth are being trained to just delete or let the game expire on its own in due time. And by god they LOVE it. They can't get enough of it!

Digital downloads are like toilet paper. You don't expect them to last. I get the conveniance that's why I back up my carts. In the end anything valuable needs to be in physical form.

• Like 3

I think that's why you want stuff in digital form, because there's a greater chance of it lasting due to the ability to easily replicate it and move it about versus something on a one-off physical item that can degrade, be stolen, get damaged, etc. Unless someone finds a way to back up these RETRO cartridges, it's still a single point of failure.

• Like 7

I think that's why you want stuff in digital form, because there's a greater chance of it lasting due to the ability to easily replicate it and move it about versus something on a one-off physical item that can degrade, be stolen, get damaged, etc. Unless someone finds a way to back up these RETRO cartridges, it's still a single point of failure.

Sorry, but I have no clue what you just wrote here, but that's ok.

Carts are durable, but not invincible or immune to being lost or stolen. Lose a cart and you're out your game. Lose your smart phone full o'games and odds are pretty good your game licenses will still work on the new phone.

Have your house burn down and 100+ carts go poof!

It happens

Have your house burn down and 100+ carts go poof!

It happens

And other causes too. Mine was destroyed by a satanic curse and ritual. Not of my doing. Details in another thread.

Nope. You cannot easily replicate something when half of it is on a server 2,000 miles away and contains DRM.

The server goes, the license expires, a corporate decision gets made, POOF! All gone. All of modern gaming is tied into something (multiple things) beyond your control.

The modern generation of today does not understand the value of a complete self-contained local copy of everything necessary to get a game running. This begins with the hardware, os, bios, and all. It then extends to all of the game code, the ability to install it and run it.

I think you're missing the tens of thousands of games that are available without DRM that you can easily backup and restore , and will be able to for a very long time. Digital does not mean DRM is involved

I try to only buy physical copies of games or digital copies that are DRM free, the best of both worlds.

• Like 2

The modern generation of today does not understand the value of a complete self-contained local copy of everything necessary to get a game running. This begins with the hardware, os, bios, and all. It then extends to all of the game code, the ability to install it and run it.

Huh? I can take a TV, my PS4, a stack of games and hook them up to a generator in the middle of a forest, if I so desired. I think you phrased that wrong. ;)