IGNORED

Best home console port of Galaga?

Best home console version of Galaga  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best home console port of Galaga?

• NES
    • TG-16 Galaga '90

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I absolutley enjoy all three ports. But I voted for Galaga '90 for the Turbo Grafx-16. Galaga '90 has colorful graphics, the same stages plus the bonus round challenge stages, and even boss stages. The background music mimics the 1981 original version and using turbo spices things up a bit. I like that it preserves the original game.

The NES version has better graphics than the 7800 version; they are practically identical to the arcade graphics, while it doesn't look like they even tried to duplicate the arcade graphics with the 7800 version. The NES version also has far superior sound, which is also very close to the arcade sound, while the 7800 version is stuck with 1977 Atari 2600 sound. The NES version also more or less preserves the vertical screen orientation of the arcade version, while the 7800 stretches it out to fill a horizontal screen.

It is too bad that Namco Museum wasn't released for SNES and Genesis like the similar Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits was. Then there would be a more or less arcade perfect version of Galaga available for the last of the classic 2D cartridge-based consoles.

I don't get the Galaga '90 option in the poll. You're aware it's a port of arcade Galaga '88, which is a sequel, so how does it make sense in the poll? You have two apples and then an orange.

Edited by MaximRecoil
  • Like 1

In general, I do not like to see the extra display (scores, status, etc.) on the right side of the main game because it pollutes the visual horizon, IMHO.

attachicon.gifNES Galaga.PNG

That doesn't bother me at all, and it is the only way to both display everything onscreen at once and preserve the aspect ratio of the arcade game. The NES version is almost a perfect port of the arcade version. The graphics are pretty much dead on, as is the sound. The only thing I've noticed that's missing from the NES version is the part where the enemies spread apart some and then come back together before dive-bombing you.

Atari 2600 has great sound

The TIA doesn't even come close to having the capability of matching the arcade Galaga sounds, while the 2A03 can match it quite well. Why do you think everyone laments Atari's decision to not include an onboard Pokey chip with the 7800? Its reliance on the very limited and outdated-at-the-time TIA for sound in nearly all of its games (aside from Ballblazer and Commando, which had a Pokey chip in the cartridge) is one of its biggest downfalls.

I think the NES aspect ratio could be improved.

attachicon.gifGalaga vs.PNG

You mean the layout? Because you didn't change the aspect ratio of the playfield in your edit. Your layout is okay, though I don't like "HIGH SCORE" being replaced with "HI". Also, I suspect that the extra ships in the lower left-hand corner, the item (whatever it is) in the lower right-hand corner, and the text along the top in your layout would get partially cut off in the overscan area if played on an NES and an actual TV, because they are very close to the edges of the raw output that an emulator displays.

Edited by MaximRecoil

Also, I suspect that the extra ships in the lower left-hand corner, the item (whatever it is) in the lower right-hand corner, and the text along the top in your layout would get partially cut off in the overscan area if played on an NES and an actual TV, because they are very close to the edges of the raw output that an emulator displays.

It depends, I have some CRT and on all of them are visible more than 220 lines.

In Additions, some adjustments are in service menu's on most newer sets.

3 way tie! 4-4-4 Groovy! :cool:

I actually prefer 7800 because for some reason it hooks me more than the NES version. The NES version doesn't appear to ramp up in quite the same way as 7800 does although the graphics and sound might be more accurate.

I don't get the Galaga '90 option in the poll. You're aware it's a port of arcade Galaga '88, which is a sequel, so how does it make sense in the poll? You have two apples and then an orange.

I am aware of this. I have played the Galaga '90 port on Wii Virtual Console and while it is more modern, it does have similar mechanics and structure to the original (unlike Gaplus), so yes two apples and an orange, but purists may still prefer the original. I realized last night I didn't have this rather brilliant gem in my collection (and it's cheap as far as turbo games go) so I picked it up on the 'Bay, CIB (Hucard + manual in Jewel case). My only fault with Galaga 90 is the background graphics at times can interfere with bullets and enemy patters. You can tune it out though. I haven't played it in a long time and have gotten markedly better at Galaga and other classic SHMUPs over the years.

Edited by stardust4ever

In general, I do not like to see the extra display (scores, status, etc.) on the right side of the main game because it pollutes the visual horizon, IMHO.

attachicon.gifNES Galaga.PNG

This is a plus so as to maintain the vertical layout of the playfield.

The NES translation looks great but it's flaw is that the playfield is squashed. There's not nearly enough room between the bottom row enemies and your ship. If you've played the arcade game enough you'll notice this.

I don't get the feeling of claustrophobia when playing the 7800 version however. The problem with this game is the timing is WAY off.

The ColecoVision/MSX version is just...meh...

Those are the only 3 home versions that I have and I would say the NES translation is the best.

NES is the correct answer.

I remember being somewhat disappointed initially with the 7800 version because the graphics looked like Lucky Charms marshmallows, but it's still a good game in its own right. Even the audio manages to be inoffensive. But it doesn't touch Galaga: Demons Of Death (love that addition to the title, btw) on Nintendo. I only wish it had an option for fast missiles.

Of the three listed, I enjoy Galaga '90 the most, but I'm not sure why it's in this poll.

Keeping the conversation strictly on Galaga, I think the NES port tops the 7800 port by a sizable margin. I was just playing the 7800 version a few days ago, for the first time in a few years. It's a decent space shooter in its own right, but IMO, it's not really true enough to the arcade in any way. If the Atari 7800 was going to continue to milk crusty old arcade IP's in the late 80s while Nintendo was putting out up-to-the-minute arcade ports, then you'd think they would put special effort in trying to at least make accurate conversions of those crusty old games. The Galaga port feels a bit slapped together and perfunctory, considering its context.

Of the three listed, I enjoy Galaga '90 the most, but I'm not sure why it's in this poll.

Keeping the conversation strictly on Galaga, I think the NES port tops the 7800 port by a sizable margin. I was just playing the 7800 version a few days ago, for the first time in a few years. It's a decent space shooter in its own right, but IMO, it's not really true enough to the arcade in any way. If the Atari 7800 was going to continue to milk crusty old arcade IP's in the late 80s while Nintendo was putting out up-to-the-minute arcade ports, then you'd think they would put special effort in trying to at least make accurate conversions of those crusty old games. The Galaga port feels a bit slapped together and perfunctory, considering its context.

To be fair, the NES did beat the crap out of 7800 at market. Even the slightly superior SMS failed. But much can be said for Nintendo's iron fist rule over developers during the late 80s. Still unlicensed Tengen releases excluded, a number of great games got ported to both the 7800 and NES or the SMS and NES despite Nintendo's refusal to let devs develop on other systems.

on a website called atari age at that, anyway, If given the choice nes easily, but if I was stuck waiting at a dentist office while someone is getting a procedure and for some odd reason they have an atari 7800 and galaga, yes I would play it

My orthodontist as a teen had a Genesis Kiosk with one of those six cart changers in it. A big red button swapped the game. It was almost always on Sonic 2. They also had a Ms Pacman cocktail on freeplay.

24% of respondents are wrong. :P It isn't a question of taste; the NES version is a visibly, quantifiably, objectively better port of the arcade game than the 7800 version is.

Of course it's a question of taste. That's what "best" means in every internet thread ever created- what's best to you. Which do you like better? The question was not "which version's sprites are closest to the arcade?" If that were the question, then there would be no need for a poll, you could just show a comparison of the sprites and be done with it. One could certainly interpret the question as "which is closest to the arcade version," but again, there'd be no need for a poll - just show some screenshots.

The 7800 version is more fun, and that's more important than how accurate the sprites are. Obviously, some people (a majority in fact) think the NES version is more fun, and that's great.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 2