3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Here it is:

1517179111415.jpg

I dunno, my first impression is that it is too black. Maybe Im just too used to Apples space grey color.

That is what is called "matte black", eg not piano black like the Xbox 360's or PS3, even the Wii U. Matte black doesn't reflect light, which is typically better for gear located near the TV, as it results in no glare from lights in the room.

That said, geez, white LED's. Those tend to light up small rooms.

I assume you regret not getting black? I think it looks awesome.

I preordered the purple classic SNES colored Super NT for the nostalgia. I will order a second Super NT in black if and when the ability to run SNES ROMs from the SD card is available.

Edited by Jagasian

Anyone got pics of the NA purple one yet? It is the model I ordered, and the only one I haven't seen pics of yet. I want to be sure it's light gray/purple and not white purple like the renders.

The unboxing video that was briefly posted had it (it was quickly removed for violating embargo) . The video was a bit grainy but it looked gray to me and I thought it looked great. That's the color I ordered too. I think Analogue's goal was to match the original colors.

edit: it looked like this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUwVsaVUQAEtktA.jpg

Edited by cacophony

The unboxing video that was briefly posted had it (it was quickly removed for violating embargo) . The video was a bit grainy but it looked gray to me and I thought it looked great. That's the color I ordered too. I think Analogue's goal was to match the original colors.

edit: it looked like this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUwVsaVUQAEtktA.jpg

That's the render from the website. Pity I missed the leaked video.

I originally bought the SFC on day one, then after they got their shipping (sorta) figured out, I placed a new order for the black. Kinda having buyers remorse right now on that decision, but I want to see it in real light. Wish I had ordered the black NT Mini (although I pre-ordered that day one too, and I don't think black was an option then if I recall) to go along with it so it wouldn't be a problem :)

Edited by jamon1567

The wait for this thing is going to be so real now.

I actually wonder if the SNES cart market will be adversely affected by the Super NT. Probably not if there's a Core Store, lol.

Probably only for the chip carts (eg Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island.) Most people are not competent enough to change the battery on a SNES cart. I have to wonder how many snes carts wound up in landfills because people thought they were broken, when they were simply dirty or needed a new battery.

At any rate all the SNES games are available in some shape since emulation has been a thing since the late 90's. So if it didn't affect them then, it's not going to affect them now.

• Like 1

At any rate all the SNES games are available in some shape since emulation has been a thing since the late 90's. So if it didn't affect them then, it's not going to affect them now.

This is correct. If a person is so serious about SNES games that they'd rather buy the real carts than play an emulator, playing the roms on an FPGA device isn't going to knock them out of the cart market.

Personally I only play roms on my NT Mini if I'm feeling too lazy to grab and clean my cart of the game, or if I'm trying a game I don't own to see if I like it enough to go buy the cart. Collecting and handling the carts is a crucial part of the retro experience.

• Like 1

Collecting and handling the carts is a crucial part of the retro experience.

Ehhhrrr ... NO!

To cut it short we'll agree to disagree and move on.

It's like saying that to love old B&W movies one has to get them on the original reel format like super 8 etc....please spare me, that's pure collecting and has little to do with the retro experience per se.

There's a place for that no question about it, and if you like that side of it all the power to you, but it has little to do with the "experience".

• Like 2

Ehhhrrr ... NO!

To cut it short we'll agree to disagree and move on.

It's like saying that to love old B&W movies one has to get them on the original reel format like super 8 etc....please spare me, that's pure collecting and has little to do with the retro experience per se.

There's a place for that no question about it, and if you like that side of it all the power to you, but it has little to do with the "experience".

Your analogy makes no sense, because we're talking about a person that buys carts now instead of using emulators or flash carts. There's also the fact that almost nobody watched old movies by handling reels of film, or any physical media at all.