1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The point being made is that when it comes right down to it, we don't know know for certain. It's logical enough, but that doesn't make it the fact that you act like it is.

Thus, there's reason to act annoyed if somebody's placeholder name doesn't follow the conventions you've read into Analogue's current product line.

I know what it stands for, but I can't tell ya :-)

Or you could but then you would have to kill him .... maybe we should open a poll on that ;-)

EDIT: and to be precise Analogue Inc released products not Nintendo related without the Nt particle in their names:

This from their wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogue_(company)

Its hardware products include the Analogue Super Nt, Analogue Nt mini, Analogue Nt, Analogue CMVS, Analogue NEO and the Analogue Arcade Stick. Analogue has offices in Seattle and Hong Kong.

To me anyways, if I wanted a two letter Super Nintendo acronym, I think I'd go with SN. In that form or extended to SNS for Nintendo's product codes, it's one that has actually seen some usage like with my ASCII arcade stick that incorporates it right in the name. NT on the other hand doesn't particularly bring Nintendo to mind for me.

And even if Analogue's thinking with NT is what LewisD is so sure it was (And Lewis very well may be right on the money with his belief), it doesn't mean that they're going to let their hands be tied by it. They've established a bit of a naming convention here with NT. People see those two letters and immediately think of Analogue's products.

So even if NT equates to Nintendo when they first used those two letters, they may not want to ignore that value they've created with a future non-Nintendo associated product. They've never publicly acknowledged what, if anything, those two letters are supposed to mean. So they're free to use it as they see fit without appearing to contradict themselves.

Thank you.

Have you guys ever heard of Occums razor? The simplest explaination is always the correct one.

Analogue decides to make their own NES FPGA clone, but needs a name that identifies it as being based on Nintendo hardware without using their trademarks = NT

Analogue decides to make a Super Nintendo FPGA clone = Super NT

Do you see a pattern? Can you honestly tell me that the simplest explaination for the name NT is that it means new tech and not Nintendo?

I don't actually really care about the NT meaning debate, but I'm pretty sure Occam's Razer states that the explanation with the lowest number of assumptions is most likely true. What assumptions are being made in each scenario?

One thing I have wondered lately about the Super Nt.

I have tried it with some HDMI switches, HDMI->DVI converters but it mostly wont work. Things that draw somewhat of a current wont work. My guess its because the 5V USB power. Tried a beefy 3A USB but it didnt make any difference.

Are the micro USB power unregulated, its 5V only?

Until someone that actually KNOWS says anything different, NT is for Nintendo. All the Nintendo products have it, none of the non-Nintendo products have NT. Done. Goodness.

Agreed. Plus that's consistent with Kevtris not being able to say what it stands for.

Edited by cacophony

Have you guys ever heard of Occums razor? The simplest explaination is always the correct one.

Analogue decides to make their own NES FPGA clone, but needs a name that identifies it as being based on Nintendo hardware without using their trademarks = NT

Analogue decides to make a Super Nintendo FPGA clone = Super NT

Do you see a pattern? Can you honestly tell me that the simplest explaination for the name NT is that it means new tech and not Nintendo?

Yeah. To me it means Nintendo even if they won't confirm it. The abbreviation immediately makes me think Nintendo.