IGNORED

Big screen or stay smaller?

fdr4prez

I didn't want to leave a negative comment and run but I seriously thought that I had deleted my original post. How people like their vintage games to look is a personal taste and I am biased towards scanlines. Since I own both sd and hd crts I decided to place them side by side and do a comparison. My hd looked fine but was missing something compared to the sd set which just happened to be the scanlines. Now I kow this is not an apple to apple comparison to the previous screenshot but this is the image I happen to have on my hard drive at the moment. Here is a shot from my 2004 Sony FS100 sd crt through s-video. Not nearly as good as a PVM with scart but this is what I own. The contrast looks a bit blown out but that is an artifact from my phone.

017.JPG

i too love scanlines. I have gotten used to emulators that dont have it. I do like to turn them on whenever i can/ remember.

Sorry I just cannot figure out how to delete a post.

no worries. We know what you meant. I do agree that i like scanlines. I just like the clarity that hd gives me with no color bleed. But hey we all have our own preferance. Most people here like you probably prefer the old tube tv.

Funny thing is that although I have been around since the Atari VCS days I really never noticed scanlines until I decided to start playing old game systems again about year and half ago which I learned about from an episode of Game Sack which prompted me to purchase a sd crt and do a comparison. If I had never done a comparison I probably would be very happy to play games on my hd crt. I do have a flatpanel tv btw. It is a 60" plasma and it is mounted on the living room wall. Even if I had scanlines and an outboard scaler I still would not like to play such low resolution games on a display of that size. Now that I think about it I have the Sega Genesis collection for my Xbox and I can honestly say that I prefer to play my Genesis games on a smaller display.

Edited by LaserCat

• 2 weeks later...

thanks, all, I'll look into an AV mod in the coming months

For now I have my INTV going into my VCR and that going composite into my flat screen.

I still have it going thru the crappy switchbox so when I want some static for that old school effect I can just tinker with the slide a bit.

I have my Vader hooked up to our 42" LED and it looks pretty good. I run it in 4:3 and don't mind the black borders. I have my Intellivision hooked up but it has static issues that gets real bad sometimes. I think there's a problem with the RF output, I have a replacement but haven't had time to do the fix. I don't have them set up but have been collecting various CRTs over the years.

a couple of 10" (the mono type monitors, one with a VCR built in)

a 13" (RF only)

two 20" (1 RF only & 1 composite)

a 27" (composite & component)

a 32" (composite & s-video)

a 26" widescreen flat CRT (composite & component)

Almost all free. Hoping to marry some of them up with the appropriate systems someday for "proper" gaming goodness.

My local Goodwill has stopped accepting CRTs about a year ago unfortunately.

My Vader is my second-best composite mod, in terms of appearance. I'm still gaga over how nice my Colecovision mod turned out (although now that I have an Adam, it's less necessary).

CRTs still show up at garage sales pretty frequently. Often for free these days (or if you wait till 3pm, people will ASK you to take them away). If I had the space I'd store a few extras, for the day when my main unit dies and I can't find another. 27" is just such a nice size for most systems.

And keeping a REALLY old B&W around is a must for some oddball Pong units. If I was smart I'd find the perfect sizes to match the Odyssey overlays and leave them on permanent display.

My only really weird CRT is this ancient colour monitor from god-knows-what home computer system, that has a flavour of RGB that works perfectly with my Mr. Do! arcade board. Pre-Jamma, so it's kinda fun to have something to play it on. One day I should build a mini cab for it. Not enough of a Mr. Do! fan to have bothered yet.