IGNORED

HDX time...

Opry99er

I have an HDX-modded rs232.

I Have a pigtail with an HDX out and an rs232 out.

I have a 6" crossover cable.

I have a db9 serial port on my PC.

I THINK all I need now is a null F->F db9 cable long enough to reach the PC port.

Is this correct?

Yes. Sounds right. I built the cable that fred has on his site. It's a DB25 on the TI end to two 9 pin Ds. One for HDX the other for serial. From there, it's a 9-pin null modem to your PC.

Cool... So, once I get the cable linkup complete, there is no software I HAVE to have on the TI side in order to start transfers, correct?

I got high on the HDX train a couple years ago, but didn't complete the setup due to space constraints and then two moves. Now I have the space, I have the desk, I have the components (minus the long db9 cable) and I reeeeeeally need to get set up. My next project (after Vector Hyperdrive) is do some conversions of a few of my games to straight XB (with no assembly support) and put them onto tape.

Then I want to write a game on 100% TI hardware for tape as well. Should be fun, but I need a reliable transfer system in order to do this stuff.

:)

I have an HDX-modded rs232.

I Have a pigtail with an HDX out and an rs232 out.

I have a 6" crossover cable.

I have a db9 serial port on my PC.

I THINK all I need now is a null F->F db9 cable long enough to reach the PC port.

Is this correct?

you just need a straight through cable.. crossover is for a nanopeb. I just use a 9-25 peecee cable adapter and a 25-25 cable from my ti to that..

Greg

PS: About time!

Cool... So, once I get the cable linkup complete, there is no software I HAVE to have on the TI side in order to start transfers, correct?

Yes & No....

If you are just loading up a program, you do NOT need any additional software just load your programs like you would normally, with the exception of the path.

Now if you want to easily make DSK images of all your original disks and save them to the PC as backups, you'll want to download and use DSK2PC, but it's free software available on Fred's site.

To thsoe unfamiliar with the HDX, you can get a overview << HERE >>

Here's what I've got now... (gregallenwarner was kind enough to make these up)

#1:

20151007_015621_zpstcyca0gf.jpg

This first cable is a 25 pin male cable that splits into two db9 male ends... one marked "HDX1" and one marked "RS232/1"

20151007_015649_zpsec5u5e53.jpg

This second cable is (obviously) a X-over cable, one end is db9 male, the other is db9 female.

I guess I only need the crossover if I am connecting to a nano?

So... The serial port on my PC is a db9 male, into which a db9 female end will plug.

So I will need a db9 female to db9 female straight through cable to complete the setup, correct?

Just want to make ABSOLUTELY certain before I order. :)

Given that your crossover cable has 1 male and 1 female end, then a simple gender change should complete your link...

I personally used TI splitter and a null-modem as shown here: http://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/ti99hdx/Files/ti99_rs232_splitter_cables.gif

where my null modem has the DCE gender on both ends. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem

post-42954-0-54668200-1444236270_thumb.png

• Like 1

should.. since you are using someone's custom splitter who knows if he wired it "to standard" or put a crossover in there as well.. so you may need that crossover in the end.. have to ask him what he did..

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of battery life do you get out of the CR2032 powering the SRAM on the HDX DSR board?

I know I've seen pictures of nicely placed switches to power off that SRAM when it gets corrupted. I've been experiencing that corruption preventing boot regularly, so I just pulled the battery, and just have to reload each session. I'm sure I'll tire of that and wire a good switch in copying Ω's disk drive drawer technique...

But in the meantime, what has your experience been with battery life?