IGNORED

HDX time...

Opry99er

Is there any reason that the HDX DSR board can't just be a couple eproms? Does it use the RAM at runtime for buffers?

If you want to use just a rom you would just burn one and replace the rom with it. (pin compatible?) Imho that would remove upgrading capability but add stability and require no hardware extra except to make the pins compatible with the rom.

I had the impression the extra wires were mostly there to control write selection. So I was thinking since the board is socketed onto the card, replacing the card with an eprom might be just fine... But then I was noticing today that Fred Kaal's loader loads two different banks. I haven't looked at the schematics at all yet. But the stability seems worth it a little research.

• 3 weeks later...

Cable arrived in the mail. Hoping for a short night at work so I can get home and start work. ;)

If I get it running, I will be able to transfer the Holiday demos over and run them on a real TI. Looking forward to that immensely!

First order of business though, is to swap my PEB and try to eliminate some gremlins... I need reliable disk access if I am to progress with the projects I currently have on the docket.

• Like 1

Okie dokie....

Got the cable hooked up, serial port COM1 is reading properly in PC status menu. I have TI99HDX running. When I turn on my PEB and my TI, however, no activity happens in the bottom left of the HDX window. It remains "Ti99Hdx started...".

So, I try to OLD HDX1.PROG from XB and the rs232 card lights up, but no activity on TI99HDX. The TI (basically) freezes.

I tried WITH and WITHOUT the crossover cable and no dice either way. I have checked all my connections and no problems are immediately evident.

Any thoughts?

One thing I noticed when my crossover is connected... When I boot the TI, it hangs on cyan for a split second while the rs232 card lights up.... then it goes to the title screen.

Still nothing is recognized in TI99HDX on the PC

I also saw this hang when I was building my cables, I didn't have them quite right.

Well here is what I know.

Greg Warner (the fella that built the cables) built the splitter to operate with a null modem cable... The crossover allows one to use a straight through cable.

If that is the case, then something else is wrong.

I could buy another cable (null modem) and try without the splittter, but I have no idea if that will do any better or worse.

Something happens when I boot up the TI with the correct cable configuration prior to the title screen... The rs232 lights up and it hangs for a minute. I have no idea what that means.

OK I just tested both of my Hdx's, with the cable removed from the RS-232, I get the Error 06 with an OLD HDX1 command.

That eliminates the cable/splitter/adapter from this test. Maybe someone else with an Hdx can confirm this.

If that's correct and your not getting that error, then something else has to be wrong on the TI side.

Edited by Fritz442

I do not have a physical copy of the DSR on disk. If I clear the DSR, I eill not be able to reload it.

I'll mail you a disk.. what controller do you have? #1 thing to be sure is that your comm to the pc is correct. If your pc is not using a hardware card (usb maybe?) then 99% of the time the issue is that rs232 port. If it's a hardware rs232 port then I'd lean towards the cable being the issue. If you can get rs322/1 with a straight through cable working with the cfhdxs1 program (included on xb2.8 option U) THEN it should work on rs322/2(hdx) with the dsr too..

Greg