IGNORED

PRGE 2015 - The convention pictures thread!

Rev

is goatnom been updated from all the public releases? Looks different.

Sorry - I have a bit of egg on my face here.

Basically in order to get the LTO Flash! ready in time for show opening, I had to get my ROM set figured out and organized pretty much on an airplane. So I didn't exactly spend time testing things thoroughly. And I didn't have the actual cart with me at the time. When I was able to load ROMs to the cart, I had no Inty console to test it on, so this was all a giant leap of faith. Which I took because intvnut tends to engineer stuff to be pretty foolproof. I honestly figured most people would play around with the Mattel/Imagic/Activision classics, and there's not a lot of actual homebrew available in ROM form - so I just tossed what I thought was a working copy of GoatNom on it for fun (and shameless self-promotion).

Turns out it was a debug build from quite a while back. Almost nothing works (it plays much worse than it looks in those screenshots). I doubt that version even has the in-game music. But... at this point it was either leave it as is, or run around for half the day trying to reload a working ROM. I decided to risk it, as who the hell would bother with it, with so much else to check out? Of course that ends up being the pics these guys take and post here. :lol:

So yes. The very first actual play of Goatnom, on a real Intellivision console - was a complete disaster. I had no ideas the guys had checked it out until reading this. I was too busy looting vendors for deals (finally got me a Neo Geo AES today!).

But I can report good things are coming, folks. I've owned flash carts for most of the major systems, and this one is so far the best. It's incredibly slick. More to come. I may try to do a short review for the podcast, if I can figure out how to keep on topic about something for a change.

Also near as I can tell, Tarzilla is a ghost. Apparently everyone else saw him but I kept missing him every time. He's the frigging Polkaroo.

• Like 2

Another shot of the Flash! running. I whipped together a quick splash screen for y-bot's booth the night before the show. IntyBASIC is absolutely amazing for quick stuff like this. Unfortunately the animation didn't work - I may have uncovered an IntyBASIC bug. So yes, both of my "ROMs" that I put on this thing had serious, crippling flaws. freewheel fail.

Here's the ROM, for the collectors out there. Any controller input should turn on the super-advanced features. CIB announcement coming soon.

post-39446-0-13880800-1445145152_thumb.jpg

ybot.rom

• Like 4

Another shot of the Flash! running. I whipped together a quick splash screen for y-bot's booth the night before the show. IntyBASIC is absolutely amazing for quick stuff like this. Unfortunately the animation didn't work - I may have uncovered an IntyBASIC bug. So yes, both of my "ROMs" that I put on this thing had serious, crippling flaws. freewheel fail.

Here's the ROM, for the collectors out there. Any controller input should turn on the super-advanced features. CIB announcement coming soon.

Are you referring to the color cycling that you can toggle on and off? I just tried it here on my Intellivision with LTO Flash! and that part works. Is there more?

Also near as I can tell, Tarzilla is a ghost. Apparently everyone else saw him but I kept missing him every time. He's the frigging Polkaroo.

I think the word you are looking for is "Ninja". :-D

Actually spent most of the day running around with the two guys I'm with like rats on acid due to all the eclectic stuff.

• Like 1

Are you referring to the color cycling that you can toggle on and off? I just tried it here on my Intellivision with LTO Flash! and that part works. Is there more?

Nope, that's it. It didn't work at all on the console I had. I didn't exactly test it thoroughly, but given that the code was just "any input from either controller toggles it"... I mashed a bunch of buttons with no success. Text remained white at all times.

If the ROM's not broken, and the controller input works fine on all other games... hmm. I'll test when I get home and see if it was just a gremlin.

Nope, that's it. It didn't work at all on the console I had. I didn't exactly test it thoroughly, but given that the code was just "any input from either controller toggles it"... I mashed a bunch of buttons with no success. Text remained white at all times.

If the ROM's not broken, and the controller input works fine on all other games... hmm. I'll test when I get home and see if it was just a gremlin.

The console may have a stuck input on one of the controllers. In my experience, most games will still play OK on such a system, but some will misbehave in strange ways.

Edited by intvnut

The console may have a stuck input on one of the controllers. In my experience, most games will still play OK, but some will misbehave in strange ways.

Nod. And the way I do input debouncing would be very susceptible to this. We'll take this offline though - no need to clutter up a meetup thread with arcane debugging details :)

• Like 1

Pics courtesy of Tarzilla and Cmart.

attachicon.gif20151017_141943.jpg

attachicon.gif20151017_143703.jpg

attachicon.gif20151017_150152.jpg

attachicon.gif2015101795121512.jpg

(left to right) Cmart, Special Teams, Lathe26

And later tonight. (bottom to top) Cmart, Lathe26, Special Teams

attachicon.gif2015101795141148.jpg

convention center

attachicon.gif2015101795144134.jpg

Yes, that is a Decepticon belt buckle. No wussy Autobots.

Also, it is a little hard to see but my T-shirt is the "Intel Inside" logo except it says "Dead Inside".

• Like 1

Yeah. Dave Akers made that trampoline game. I forgot name. Its in my Intybasic database on my site in homebrew section. I'm too lazy to look.

That's "Clowns And Balloons" by Dave Akers (a.k.a. Catsfolly). Actually, it was the hack I made on it called "Balloons vs. The Clown Of Christmas Presents." Just a change in graphics.

By the way, what was the feedback from the people who played Piggy Bank? Was it fun? Was it worth three straight weeks of hard work and constant testing? The "people familiar with the matter" that couldn't attend want to know. ;)

-dZ.