IGNORED

RetroBlast: A 90's gaming RetroSpective (my new podcast)

Episode 15 is now up....

Finally entered the Super Nintendo era...

f998bbdf-95a2-4cf5-8d71-77ec4be44b48_zps

In Episode 15 I talk about the process of pre-ordering the Super Nintendo, and then what it was like to actually pick the thing up on launch day. The very first game that I tried when I got the thing all setup was actually Pilotwings. We get into an in-depth discussion of that somewhat underrated launch game... Then we talk for a while about the September 1991 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly which probably arrived within days of the Super Nintendo... (normally EGM arrived later in the month)

4df7facf-6e00-4c4e-aa90-288807c8950f_zps

Check it out if you get a chance...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 16 is now available....

Part Deux of the SNES Launch Special....

Here is what is covered on this episode:

1. A couple of things I forgot to mention in episode 15

2. Reactions from the general populace in the form of rec.games.video posts

3. Lengthy discussion about one of the greatest single player racing games of all time:

v4vrywvuajipcxhekyik.jpg

4. You know how sometimes RetroBlast goes completely off the rails with a story that has almost nothing to do about video games ? Well here's another one of those stories...

ee831749c7552edd01e45c643eedbd83.jpg

Why is there a picture of DJ Quick in this thread ? Hmm... tune in to find out..

5. We close out the show with a discussion of Super Mario World that should have lasted another half hour if I was paying better attention to the clock:

196082-smw1.jpg

Totally my fault in regards to the SMW discussion. I lost track of the time we had spent actually recording and thought we had recorded for a half hour longer than we really had recorded. The podcast seemed like it was going way too long, so I kinda ended the Super Mario World talk earlier than I should have. Totally my fault. I will say however that I have plans to rectify the situation in a future episode (find out more in ep 17)

Edited by Kid Chameleon

Not sure what you're referring to in your last paragraph, but I definitely hope that SMW gets covered more. I really feel like we rushed through that game. Not to say that it wasn't a good segment, but out of the three launch games we covered on the two episodes, I think that SMW got the least amount of air time, which is counter-intuitive.

• 1 month later...

So, if anybody cares, I just wanted to update the situation with RetroBlast.

Basically, RetroBlast is on hiatus right now, and I'm not sure when it's going to return. I've got two major problems that I'm dealing with:

1. I simply don't have the time to work on the podcast right now. Too busy at work. Too busy in my personal life. Just not enough hours in the day.

2. I kinda lost my retrogaming "mojo" so to speak. (not sure if it's temporary or what). I've tried recording episode 18 two different times, and each time I had to abort the podcast. I just didn't have any passion or enthusiasm. It showed in the recording. It was horrible, so I stopped recording each time. See, I used to be really into modern gaming with the Xbox One and PS4. But I got really bored of the Xbox One and PS4 and got back into Retrogaming in a major way, and then I started up RetroBlast.

Well, I'm still super bored of Xbox One and PS4 and most of modern gaming in general, but I recently got this HTC Vive thing ( VR headset). I'm truly blown away by the HTC Vive. I really think that VR could be the future of gaming (and all entertainment really), and I feel like we are just on the cusp of this thing. It actually kinda reminds me of the Panasonic 3DO. I feel like it's October 1993 and I'm playing Crash N Burn on the 3DO, and I'm totally amazed by it, and everybody else is playing Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. (I actually didn't have a 3DO at launch, but had a good buddy that did). I remember back in late 1993 playing the 3DO, I could absolutely tell that it was the future. However, I also know that the 3DO was probably about two years ahead of it's time, and the same might be true for the HTC Vive. It's definitley early days in VR. It's like the Pong / Atari 2600 days in VR. I can see in two years some other headset / technology coming out that might blow away the Vive (like the Playstation blew away the 3DO), but I'm happy just being at the cutting edge and getting to experience this thing that is almost like magic.

There are times when I'm playing some of these VR games and I have to practically pinch myself to make sure that this is really happening. Actually going "inside" the games is such a sea change that it's hard to describe with words. Still, I'm not telling everybody to run out and buy a VR headset or anything like that, cause the software is very early and buggy, and developers are just getting to grips with things. It kinda reminds me of the Atari 2600 in that way. The games we are playing in VR right now is similar to Adventure and Air-Sea Battle. Super simple, but you can see greater things on the horizon.

So, what does all this mean for RetroBlast ?

Well, basically, first I have to wait until I actually have time to spend on a podcast, and then I have to hope that I have the drive and passion. If that happens ( I'm hoping it will cause there is tons more stuff I want to get into on RetroBlast ) then there will be more episodes, but I can say that there won't be any episodes until July.

I know all of this kinda sucks, but I'm just trying to be totally honest about it.