IGNORED

I had to defend the TI99/4A in Youtube Comments.

RXB

Here's what I posted on YouTube:

What about the ORIC1, the machine that couldn't even read back its OWN data files from tape, never mind tapes you bought from the highstreet. Sorry, but this is the biggest bunch of retro-computer FAIL I've seen in a long time. Top of the FAIL pile. That's a FAIL, by the way. Being top FAIL is not a good thing. FAIL.

• Like 4

Just another misinformed opinion piece waste of space. BTW: do all Brits pronounce Coleco, kohl-uh-coh or he just special? :rolling:

What was the point of bringing up that Amstrad e-mailer thing that he wasted way too much time on? Even admits it almost doesn't belong as it's clearly not a full fledged computer. Probably got burned BITD, thinking it was capable of much, much more and still harbors resentment. haha

As mentioned, the Aquarius was absent. As was the Timex Sinclair 1000. And Commodore Plus/4. And...

• Like 2

I swear I have seen this before. These "10 x of y" are almost always garbage and not worth the time spent producing or reading/viewing. Just a big "Hey, gais, I have an opinion on the Internet! Am I cool, yet?!"

(And no worries -- I know I am cool, already.)

• Like 3

I swear YouTube was made for trolls to hate on just about everything for no reason at all...

There's some good videos with actualy research like Game Sack & Gaming Historian. But with all the high noise-to-signal ratio I had to install a Firefox extension to block reading comments. Really!!

• Like 2

I swear YouTube was made for trolls to hate on just about everything for no reason at all...

I'm not saying this guy is a troll exactly, maybe just misinformed and wrong on a 'few things'. :roll:

I've found even Trolls have their unintended usefulness, so this cloud has a silver lining that can turned to our advantage.

This dudes video knocked a few TI defenders out of the shadows. Who knows, we might just gain a few new users here! :lol:

• Like 1

Can't disagree too much with the comments about the TI, he is talking about the 4, not the 4a, the 4 was nothing to write home about, it looked like a computer that had been designed by a calculator manufacturer and the comments about the lack of TV modulator, keyboard and price were also accurate, we have to admit the machine was hampered due to some insane business decisions by TI (the sales figures for the 4 don't lie-it was a dismal failure).

Thankfully most of the points were rectified by the 4a, though the closed nature of the system persisted and did not really help the software development situation.

That said-if he had decided to have a go at the 4a-I would have hunted the c**t down like a dog and made him eat his own intestines whilst I set fire to his face and beat out the flames with a pick axe :-D

P.S, all hear the wise words of Willsy, the Mattel Aquarius should have been number one. When I have had a few beers and a good hot curry-I find that sometimes I need to get myself to the toilet rather quckly, sometimes the toilet is occupied and I have to bang on the door and say "get the f**k out of there right now!!!, I'm bursting for an Aquarius!!!!!".

• Like 2

Can't disagree too much with the comments about the TI, he is talking about the 4, not the 4a, the 4 was nothing to write home about, it looked like a computer that had been designed by a calculator manufacturer and the comments about the lack of TV modulator, keyboard and price were also accurate, we have to admit the machine was hampered due to some insane business decisions by TI (the sales figures for the 4 don't lie-it was a dismal failure).

Thankfully most of the points were rectified by the 4a, though the closed nature of the system persisted and did not really help the software development situation.

That said-if he had decided to have a go at the 4a-I would have hunted the c**t down like a dog and made him eat his own intestines whilst I set fire to his face and beat out the flames with a pick axe :-D

P.S, all hear the wise words of Willsy, the Mattel Aquarius should have been number one. When I have had a few beers and a good hot curry-I find that sometimes I need to get myself to the toilet rather quckly, sometimes the toilet is occupied and I have to bang on the door and say "get the f**k out of there right now!!!, I'm bursting for an Aquarius!!!!!".

If you watch it, it shows the 4a as well.

• Like 2

That is what pissed me off the most this moron that made the video could not even read the difference between a TI99 and TI99/4A like they were the same exact Computer!

There is a long list of Computers during that time that were much much worse than the TI matter of fact many of the chips in the TI were in the more popular computers.

Also like I posted on that Youtube channel, name another 16 bit computer chip made by anyone? The industry was stuck on 8 bit for ages!

• Like 3

My response was this:

"At one point, Packard Hell's software repair procedure was simply to use their reinstall disk... which wiped your hard drive along with all your data and software. I'm not even sure the first versions of their custom Windows installer even warned you it was going to reformat your drive.

The Commodore 128 was so horrible and unwanted that Commodores annual report from 1993 showed they sold 4.5 million of them.

The TI-99 had a programmable character set that was not only capable of displaying lower case characters, it could display special characters from other languages, hieroglyphics, graphics, etc.... Okay, the whole GPL thing was a horrible idea and entering into a price war with Commodore is what proved suicidal for the machine. But it definitely wasn't one of the 10 worst machines by any means..

The Coleco Adam. Tape drives... horrible idea. A Daisy Wheel printer holds the power supply... horrible idea.
Still a better computer than the Aquarius, APF Imagination Machine and Jupiter Ace.

An email machine isn't exactly a general purpose computer and there were several such flops so singling out just one seems a bit unfair.

Frankly, there were a lot of computers that are much worse than the machines you mention. This appears to be nothing but click bait along with all the other "10" videos on your channel."

• Like 2