IGNORED

I had to defend the TI99/4A in Youtube Comments.

RXB

The TI-99 had some weak points along the way.

At first it was expensive and didn't sell well. Also it was and remained (until TI pulled out) a rather closed architecture. Slow Basic, no access to machine code (unexpanded) and/or limited and expensive expansion possibilities.

When it began to sell in the millions, the console itself was barely making any profit. You could say it was worth it's weight though. Competition became tougher, and TI chose to bail out.

I didn't hang around for long and got a C64 instead.

Should it be on the list ? Yea, why not.

;)

Jupiter Ace=awesome....

In a Forthy, rubber key, plastic shell kind of way.

The entire machine, from PCB to software, to case, to keyboard, literally designed and built in Steve Vicker's dining room. Pissed his wife right off, it did.

That stuff just doesn't happen any more. Those WERE the days!

Cool little box. I'd take one over a ZX81 any day!

• Like 1

Jupiter Ace=awesome....

In a Forthy, rubber key, plastic shell kind of way.

In a barely better than ZX-80 hardware, they built less than 10,000, and completely esoteric language sort of way.

The machine is so wonderful a site dedicated to providing it's software has a whopping 117 titles including ones from magazines.

Face it, you'd be calling this piece of crap a piece of crap if it had been based on BASIC.

In a barely better than ZX-80 hardware, they built less than 10,000, and completely esoteric language sort of way.

The machine is so wonderful a site dedicated to providing it's software has a whopping 117 titles including ones from magazines.

Face it, you'd be calling this piece of crap a piece of crap if it had been based on BASIC.

All entirely true. And is still got the mojo because it's so fucking out there. That's why it's cool. It's cool in a crap kind of way. Like the ZX80 which is utterly shit!

Just think: ABBA. Kind of crap, but really good at the same time.

Not sure if our American friends understand the ABBA thing.

Not sure if I do, either! :-)

• Like 3

All entirely true. And is still got the mojo because it's so fucking out there. That's why it's cool. It's cool in a crap kind of way. Like the ZX80 which is utterly shit!

Just think: ABBA. Kind of crap, but really good at the same time.

Not sure if our American friends understand the ABBA thing.

Not sure if I do, either! :-)

ABBA was only called crap due to the backlash against Disco.

People were just sick of everything being put out by record companies being disco.

We went through the same thing with metal.

Glam rock.

Crap.

But good.

I've had a few drinks.

I'll stop now!

Glam rock. Like The Sweet? Desolation Boulevard, one of the best albums ever!

• Like 1

Gee and I could have sworn that the gizmo I had hooked up to my pre-F18A TI was a television!

I mean it looked like a TV and had TV like connections. It even had rabbit ears and a dial with numbers on it just like a TV.

Guess it was something else though, since the video cleraly states (at the offset no less) that you couldn't hook a TI up to a TV.

(might have been a good idea to remove the RF modulator from the camera's field of vision before making such claims)

The problem with youtube is that it allows any idiot to act like an expert on subjects they know nothing about!

• Like 2

Gee and I could have sworn that the gizmo I had hooked up to my pre-F18A TI was a television!

I mean it looked like a TV and had TV like connections. It even had rabbit ears and a dial with numbers on it just like a TV.

Guess it was something else though, since the video cleraly states (at the offset no less) that you couldn't hook a TI up to a TV.

(might have been a good idea to remove the RF modulator from the camera's field of vision before making such claims)

The problem with youtube is that it allows any idiot to act like an expert on subjects they know nothing about!

Yeah, that was a bit random. Like I said, clickbait. His channel is filled with "Top" lists just begging people to watch and reply.

Its is quite funny how time changes your memories of the past.

Take the ZX81 for instance. If my parents had got me that for Christmas, I would have been most upset (I got a 16K ZX Spectrum).

However, looking back, the ZX81 despite all its drawbacks was probably THE most important thing to happen to the home computer market. It made the whole computer at home thing achievable for the masses.

I look back at the ZX81 now with wayyyy different eyes than I would have back in 1982!

Aquarius was still kinda shit

cheers

Daryn