IGNORED

Your top 10 games wanted on Intellivision

Rev

Not sure if this game has been mentioned yet, Gyruss. I think it would play great with an intellivision controller.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yyyyeeeessss!!

Keep forgetting this one, too. The controller would be an asset for this one as proven by the Deep Zone Gorf ROM!

Yes, there is lots of tension from string pull, It would probably snap the plastic as soon as you tuned up.

I saw the commodore 64 video and she ripped the wooden body down to size with a saw and fit that in the plastic case, so there's still a wood mass there to keep it together. I'll really have to think about this but it would be neat to try, no real loss on my end if it doesn't work out.. I have another body to use.

• 1 year later...

"Software sprite BACKTAB" or something like that he said in a recent Intellivsionaries episode. He got a higher dot-density than normal by defining multiple states of dots-per-card and then depending on where Ms Pac Man was on the tile, he showed n-dots. That contrasts with regular Atarisoft Pac Man only getting one dot per tile.

What tricks are those?

"Software sprite BACKTAB" or something like that he said in a recent Intellivsionaries episode. He got a higher dot-density than normal by defining multiple states of dots-per-card and then depending on where Ms Pac Man was on the tile, he showed n-dots. That contrasts with regular Atarisoft Pac Man only getting one dot per tile.

Ah, like Christmas Carol.

No, wait, do you mean software sprites drawn on BACKTAB with dynamic dot allocation per tile as the BACKTAB sprite moves over it? That's different and more complex than just getting higher density dots, which is trivially done by Christmas Carol.

With regards to that I don't know the full extent of the existing Intellivision library, both original and homebrew releases, here is my list of unusual suspects. All those would be ports of existing games, but many of those are only available on a few systems since before, and I believe most could be doable on the Intellivision without too much sacrifices.

Bird Strike (Acorn Electron & BBC Micro)
Butamaru Pants (MSX exclusive?)
Flipull (Famicom & lots of other formats, possibly the most widely available one on my list)
Frak! (Acorn Electron, BBC Micro & C64 - slightly different versions inbetween)
Hypa-Ball (C64, ZX Spectrum)
Jammin' (C64, Amstrad CPC)
Metagalactic Llamas (VIC-20, C64, ZX Spectrum, Atari 8-bit etc)
Quarth (MSX2, Famicom, Game Boy etc)
Splatform (C64, VIC-20, Atari 2600 etc)
Trailblazer (C64, Plus/4, Atari 8-bit etc, also reasonably wide spread)
Bonus item would be Money Wars (VIC-20, C64) which probably exists under different names on other systems and may very well have a counterpart on the Intellivision already.
Perhaps no real blockbusters, but IMHO all of these have unique qualities and aren't available on nearly every other retro gaming platform.
I have a 12th game, but that one I'm keeping to myself in case I ever try to implement it.
  • Like 1

As far as something new these are some I have thought about:

1) A Forest Fire Fighting team that sky dives into and fights the fire. You could use aircraft to fight the fire as well, even call in helicopter for evacuation.

2) Miniature Golf

3) A Maze and Ball Game - You rotate the table box to move the ball, avoid the holes and reach the end of the maze. This might be a tough game to program...You really only have two moving objects but the physics of the tilting table and perspective could be challenging.

3a) A skydiving game, jumping and trying to hit a target and not die.

4) "Demolition Derby" Since we can't make a good racing game, we can use the easy crash as a virtue.

5) Spelunking - Climb, crawl, use of rope you carry. You have a choice of items you take like flashlights,batteries and so on each adds weight to carry and you energy depletes faster. You go from room to room. There could also be sea caves. Darkness, lights don't show everything ahead....

6) Lighting Bug, played mostly on a dark or black screen. A hilly terrain and you try to capture the bug in a jar when it lights up and you can see it. You can trip and fall and break the jar, of course bats are competing for the bugs and can turn you into a vampire when you get bit and you have to kill your opponent.

7) A multi-game cart, simple games of Paper, Rock, Scissors. (Two Players), Skeeball and Darts and Balloons.

8) Piggy Bank: The Final Chapter - Butcher Shop.

post-35882-0-85821100-1481685162_thumb.jpg

These are some I've thought could make cool games that you don't see.

• Like 2

6) Lighting Bug, played mostly on a dark or black screen. A hilly terrain and you try to capture the bug in a jar when it lights up and you can see it. You can trip and fall and break the jar, of course bats are competing for the bugs and can turn you into a vampire when you get bit and you have to kill your opponent.

Ooooh! I soooo want to play that game!!!

-dZ.

• Like 1

Ooooh... a demolition derby game would be awesome!

And this time of year reminds me of Christmas Carol. Always wanted to see a sequel of sorts with her and the characters in it. Maybe a platformer this time, in the vein of Donkey Kong... but with the Evil Snowman at the top rolling or chucking snowballs down at you as you try to gather all the stolen presents. :)

10. Super Pro Curling - What? It'd be fun I tell ya!

I wouldn't mind seeing super pro curling.

I'd like to see a robotron style game using both controller discs; 16 direction move and 16 direction fire. I may have mentioned this already.

A racing game that uses both controller discs, one for steering and one for gas/brake.

Ooooh... a demolition derby game would be awesome!

And this time of year reminds me of Christmas Carol. Always wanted to see a sequel of sorts with her and the characters in it. Maybe a platformer this time, in the vein of Donkey Kong... but with the Evil Snowman at the top rolling or chucking snowballs down at you as you try to gather all the stolen presents. :)

There is a sequel planned, which would be similar in game-play to Donkey Kong 3, albeit different, with an all new story with all the characters and a few new ones. It's called "Christmas Carol vs. The Resident Weevil."

Unfortunately, I don't have a release date, and I have other projects that will come first.

I hope I live long enough to finish all the games I plan to make, because I am very excited about the concepts. :). I'm just too slow.

dZ.

• Like 3