IGNORED

Scramble - 2600

johnnywc

I'm very impressed by this game...!

Do you think it could have been released in, say, 1981?

If it's yes, I really think it would had changed something in the videogame business then....

No.

I agree with Keatah. Due to the DPC+ chip I'm using it would not have been financially or probably even technically possible to make this game exactly as it is in 1981. However, as was shown with Parker Brother's Super Cobra, a Scramble game could have been released, it just would have been much less than what I was able to make here (less detailed titled page, no high scores, game play and look similar to Super Cobra, etc).

Luckily for us it's 2016 and you can enjoy that game as it is, not as it could have been. :)

Have fun!

John

You ruined my childhood by cheating! :mad: :-D

LOL sorry about that! :) Seriously though - great article which I firmly stand by. I've done a 4K game (Avalanche), an 8K game (Lunar Lander), a couple 16K games with no extra memory (Lady Bug and CoM) so getting to make a game with DPC+ was a welcomed challenge and change for me. Who knows, maybe my next game will be another attempt at a 4K game (I've been working on a port of Pick Axe Pete) to 'get back to basics' or it may be another all-out DPC+ game. For me it's about keeping it fresh and challenging; I tend to get 'burnt out' pretty quick when making these games.

With that said, I have nothing but respect for those who want to make 1K, 2K, 4K, bAtari BASIC games, DPC+ heck even TJ made a game that could run in the 128 bytes of RAM IIRC! The more games the better, and whatever inspires a game developer to make them is all that counts. :)

Edited by johnnywc
  • Like 2

No problem, John !
I'm still on X-Mas/NYE vacation/holydays so I still have some time for my hobbies... and playin' on the VCS (or Stella in this case, since I haven't an Harmony cart...) is one of them ;) !

Yeah, I think you're right, speaking of "adding more challenge", even in the Arcade skill level !
I mean, whatever you're implementing in the code, your game is always amazing ! (and this also comes from the heart of a Scramble coin-op human player, as I already said ;) ).

... Nathan and I have done some pretty good research on Super Cobra and development is under way! :grin:

attachicon.gifscobra_1.png

attachicon.gifscobra_2.png

HEY !
I knew ... I imagined that you and Nathan would not have stopped in the development of Scramble only... ;) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So, keep up the good work !

But before... and here I say one thing for which I think all the Scramble fans and homebrew collectors agree with me, I really would like to purchase a "real" Scramble cartridge for my VCS !!!

Here's an update:

- brought back the 'thin' bombs

- increased the tunnel size on the second turn the 'horseshoe' portion of the maze

- UFOs (saucers) fire on EXPERT skill only (starting on level 5)

- rockets launch on UFO stage on EXPERT skill only (starting on level 9)

- meteors move up/down on METEOR stage on EXPERT skill only (starting on level 9)

- rockets launch on METEOR stage on EXPERT skill only (starting on level 17)

- rockets launch on MAZE and BASE level on EXPERT skill only

- fixed a bug in the UFO movement that caused them to move backwards (to the right) slightly which would allow up to 5 to be displayed at a time (max should be 4)

I am considering having auto-fire be active when the LEFT DIFFICULTLY is in the 'B' position instead of the 'A' position (since non-auto fire is more difficult (A)). My only concern is that it's not 'arcade authentic', but honestly I don't like to play without auto-fire because of the fatigue on the fingers so I would prefer this to be the 'default' (B). Any thoughts on this suggestion?

Thanks!

John

scramble_20160106.bin

• Like 4

I am considering having auto-fire be active when the LEFT DIFFICULTLY is in the 'B' position instead of the 'A' position (since non-auto fire is more difficult (A)). My only concern is that it's not 'arcade authentic', but honestly I don't like to play without auto-fire because of the fatigue on the fingers so I would prefer this to be the 'default' (B). Any thoughts on this suggestion?

If some people don't want to hold the button down, nobody is forcing them. They can volunteer to get a repetitive stress injury any time they want. :D

Good set of changes. I don't believe the a-b for autofire is important. Either default is fine. Just as long as we have the option. It's 6 of this and half-a-dozen of that. You know? Leave it on b I guess. It'd be just like Luke piloting the X-Wing and switching targeting to manual when you come up to the base. And IIRC most emulators default to b anyways.. yeh?

I might like to see the changed gameplay like rocket launches and meteor up/down happen earlier in the game but to a less intense degree. And then ramp that up as the game progresses. A little early teaser saying the game can and will get harder. Just a thought, I have yet to play the game to that extent for this rom release.

I know people that like this game, but at the same time they won't be playing 20 levels on it. On any game. Not their style to sit for an hour working though something. Some of them are near seniors and have the incessant need to discuss politics and all that crap.

What does everyone else think?

I like the cadence of bug reporting and updating roms here in this thread. Not too fast, not too slow. One thread. Time to play the game in-between and think about stuff overnight. Old versions left available to compare or get a visual on progress. Little structure allowing for free-flowing thought to focus around the game and not for meeting deadlines.

Edited by Keatah

Played the updated ROM earlier today and got very far! A thought I had was that there are a ton of fuel stations to hit. With so many available, no chance (not even close) of ever running out. Until you get to the tunnel section that is. Just seems like their numbers could be reigned in a bit... or are they all accounted for compared to the arcade?

Also, there's a spot near the end of the tunnel level, where your ship is barely just small enough (couple of pixels from the edge of the walls seems) to fit. It's the first of two tight spots, where the second is noticeably larger. Can't remember the arcade being as tight right there...

Just a couple of quick and random observations. Haven't played it too much to notice anything else glaring. Really seems polished at this point!

I'd say go for it. Yours wouldn't be the first game where the more arcade-authentic option was the "A" option. Asteroids and Q*Bert did the same thing back in the day.

John, to me it's perfect !

I played once the latest rev. and I got to stop myself because I made 200k with the first life (now that the 2nd passage on the horseshoe is wider... :thumbsup: ) and I have to go bed right now... :grin:

post-10922-0-34638900-1452116278_thumb.png

Concerning the autofire, it's a real "nostrum" for my poor finger !

And I'm playing it on Stella with a PSX joypad USB-adapted... I'm thinkin'bout when I'll catch the original cartridge and have to play with the CX-40... so please keep it absolutely :-o :_( :thumbsup: !!!

It's almost 20 years I got a project of a control panel with 2 arcade sticks and buttons to connect to the VCS, and only with this I think I'll keep the autofire disabled.

Yup, I built several CPs, arcade cabinets... but I still have to build that VCS' CP :woozy: !

I didn't try the "new" Expert skill level, but I'll do it soon !

Bye 4 now,

Thanks!

John

It's a good idea. Even when you've got a full size joystick with arcade parts, button mashing can get excessive. I use Zippy switches from GroovyGameGear because of the low 20-gram actuation is much better for rapid fire as opposed to the usual 75-gram E-Switch.

Even doing the multitap technique with two fingers on a single button (not possible on stock controllers), gets tiring after a while. As a 35-year-old, I'd like to preserve my digits into the future as long as possible, so autofire option is always a blessing.

I bet this button mashing requirement of many games is a silent detractor for oldsters. Its.. just.. too tedious, keeping all those bombs and lazers going constantly. This is the 21st century now, and surely technology allows the fire button to act as a modulator and activator rather than a one-time launcher!

Re: the fuel... since it never seems to feel as if you're really ever about to run out (anxiety I remember feeling in the arcade and Bob's recent 7800 version), is it possible that consumption isn't draining quick enough? Or that you're awarded too much fuel when you hit a tank? If there's the "correct" amount of tanks that is. Seems like there's quite a bit of them in this version anyway.

I think we should add a Teddy Bear icon next to the scores when auto-fire is used. ;)

No.

Probably a wheelchair would fit better now. icon_wink.gif

And no.

Re: the fuel... since it never seems to feel as if you're really ever about to run out (anxiety I remember feeling in the arcade and Bob's recent 7800 version), is it possible that consumption isn't draining quick enough? Or that you're awarded too much fuel when you hit a tank? If there's the "correct" amount of tanks that is. Seems like there's quite a bit of them in this version anyway.

I don't want it to become a game of chasing gas tanks. A balance needs to be found, and it should be based off the arcade.

I don't want it to become a game of chasing gas tanks. A balance needs to be found, and it should be based off the arcade.

Depending on which version of the Arcade game you played may determine your experience with fuel depletion. The Stern version was considerable more difficulty than the Konami version. Bob's 7800 port offers both difficulties, in addition to an even easier version than Konami's. Per the manual:

"-On the Easy Skill level, no Rockets
launch and your ship burns fuel at a
very slow rate.
-On the Normal skill level, only two
launching rockets can be on the screen
at a time, and your ship burns fuel at a
normal rate. This variation is
equivalent to the Konami version of
the arcade game.
-On the Hard skill level, four
launching rockets can be on the screen
at a time, and your ship burns fuel at
a very fast rate. This variation is
equivalent to the Stern version of the
arcade game."
  • Like 2

^ Well, that explains it! I really should start making it a habit to read the manuals that come with my games. :lol:

I grew up with the Stern version. In fact, it was a staple at our house as it was one of the games my Dad kept in rotation due to its popularity and the fact he actually liked to play it.

Armed with this new info, to me - the Konami version is way too easy then. As might this port so far. Main challenge are the tight fits in the tunnel stages, but they can be cruel!

Being forced to pay attention to your fuel really adds excitement and strategy to the game and is one of the more important aspects that's helped elevate it from being just another "me too" side scrolling shooter all these years IMO. You *almost* are always chasing gas tanks as Keatah said in the tougher version, but to me, that's what it's always been about. Well that and squeezing through those damned tunnels. :)

I bet this button mashing requirement of many games is a silent detractor for oldsters. Its.. just.. too tedious, keeping all those bombs and lazers going constantly. This is the 21st century now, and surely technology allows the fire button to act as a modulator and activator rather than a one-time launcher!

Except those of us deft in electrical egineering can fabricate an autofire option into a controller with a toggle switch, a resistor, capacitor, and a 555 timer. Better yet use a pot for adjustable fire rate. 15Hz is the sweet spot! :grin:

I think we should add a Teddy Bear icon next to the scores when auto-fire is used. ;)

Teddy Bear mode, ha! Turbofire controller gives me ninja stealth without programmer support! :evil:

• Like 1