IGNORED

Trevor McFur cheat mode not working

phoenixdownita

Which cart version do you have?

I own two different carts, and this is what happened.

-J9001 cheat works with 50Hz. and 60Hz. mode

-J9001E cheat works with 50Hz. NOT 60Hz.

I tried several times, but with the J9001E cart the cheat doesn't work with 60Hz. (NTSC) mode

If I recall correctly, are the carts with the "E" for PAL countries as with Raiden for a full screen image.

Let's try again, I installed a 50/60Hz switch on my NTSC Jaguar and still cannot get the cheat to work.

My XRGB Mini confirms 60Hz->240p or 50Hz->288p, I don't have the RGB cable yet so via composite I get B&W at 288p for the 50Hz switch position.

Are your consoles PAL or NTSC to begin with?

Or even more basic where do you actually type the code and is there a feedback if you are successful, like a sound or a piece of graphic?

I feel like an idiot.

On the bright side I managed to play thru the first part of the first moon and defeat the mid-boss all within the first credit while playing at 50Hz, so it appears easier indeed, I am not sure if it's all the enemies that move slower or just their bullets but be as it may I made it thru with much ease.

Still I will appreciate activating the damn cheat code.

Wow, that's interesting, I'll dig out my Trevor McFur this week and see if it's an E cart. Did you try typing the cheat code 17% faster than you were? :)

I didn't think that any games were specifically optimized for PAL other than Raiden, it's curious why the cheat wouldn't work on 60Hz.

Hey madman did you manage to test yours?

Edited by phoenixdownita

It's official I am an idiot.

Tonight I decided to finalize the 50/60Hz switch (it was just a temp solution yesterday) and then I retested the thing and sure enough today in 60Hz mode (yep 60Hz) I managed to activate the 1193 code and it worked.

How do I know I was not dreaming? Because I spent the last 45 minutes thru the game till the end.

I can attest that the stages are way too long (especially the second part, there is one I swear it's close to 10mins of sameness I thought I hit a glitch for a while, it's the stage with stalactites and stalagmites ... what a drag ....) and the non-descript waves of bizarro enemy are way too many (maybe because the stages are too long), the end bosses are instead cool in a way (unfortunately they are mostly static or with 3 frames of animation if that).

Not sure why once you finish the game you're "greeted" why a static text screen which cannot be exited unless the #* combo is pressed, that end music is particularly aggravating (even worse than the title screen).

After finishing it at 60Hz I tried at 50Hz and again I managed to activate the code, then back to 60Hz and managed to activate it correctly once more.

Not sure what I did different but basically I wait for the title name to show in the title screen, then I simply type 1193 in ctrl 1 (there's no confirmation), so now it seems that the cheat code not working at 60Hz for the J9001E cart myth is busted (or maybe it was never the case and it is simply harder to get it working, at least I am not alone in that predicament).

Once my RGB cable arrives I want to play TmF at 50Hz to see how far I can get because at 60Hz it's really way too hard, there's no way I could have passed some of the second stages or final bosses without cheats.

Edited by phoenixdownita

It's official I am an idiot.

Tonight I decided to finalize the 50/60Hz switch (it was just a temp solution yesterday) and then I retested the thing and sure enough today in 60Hz mode (yep 60Hz) I managed to activate the 1193 code and it worked.

How do I know I was not dreaming? Because I spent the last 45 minutes thru the game till the end.

I can attest that the stages are way too long (especially the second part, there is one I swear it's close to 10mins of sameness I thought I hit a glitch for a while, it's the stage with stalactites and stalagmites ... what a drag ....) and the non-descript waves of bizarro enemy are way too many (maybe because the stages are too long), the end bosses are instead cool in a way (unfortunately they are mostly static or with 3 frames of animation if that).

Not sure why once you finish the game you're "greeted" why a static text screen which cannot be exited unless the #* combo is pressed, that end music is particularly aggravating (even worse than the title screen).

After finishing it at 60Hz I tried at 50Hz and again I managed to activate the code, then back to 60Hz and managed to activate it correctly once more.

Not sure what I did different but basically I wait for the title name to show in the title screen, then I simply type 1193 in ctrl 1 (there's no confirmation), so now it seems that the cheat code not working at 60Hz for the J9001E cart myth is busted (or maybe it was never the case and it is simply harder to get it working, at least I am not alone in that predicament).

Once my RGB cable arrives I want to play TmF at 50Hz to see how far I can get because at 60Hz it's really way too hard, there's no way I could have passed some of the second stages or final bosses without cheats.

After reading your post, I tried it again with the E card on 50Hz. and 60Hz. and now it works for me also!

I also tried to enter the code during the flying ship animation, and after the animation and it makes no difference, it just works :?

The only conclusion that I can draw is that the code simply works, and by pure coincident it failed with both of us......

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I am as surprised as you are.

After reading your post, I tried it again with the E card on 50Hz. and 60Hz. and now it works for me also!

I also tried to enter the code during the flying ship animation, and after the animation and it makes no difference, it just works :?

The only conclusion that I can draw is that the code simply works, and by pure coincident it failed with both of us......

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I am as surprised as you are.

Don't feel bad, I tried in 3 different days (2 without the 50/60Hz mod, 1 with a temp 50/60Hz mod) and I couldn't get it to work not even at 50Hz, then after I finalized the 50/60Hz mod to its final state, so on day 4 that is, it started working.

There's really no reason to this madness but I am glad I know I was not dreaming all of it, and when the moons align ;-) maybe I'll get it to work again.

Perhaps it has to be the first thing you do after power on before any other button press or it is too late and it'll never activate again who knows, I am quite sure I tried that too but in the anger of the moment maybe I was pressing something else before the code.

Edited by phoenixdownita