IGNORED

Anyone try the new versions of classic Mattel LED sports games?

goldenegg

I'm a sucker for old LED games and just saw these advertised at BB&B.

https://m.bedbathandbeyond.ca/m/product/classic-electronic-sports-handheld-games/220839

Has anyone here used these? If so, how are they? Do they play identical to the original Mattel games? I'm considering picking them up tomorrow.

I still have the original football and baseball, and they work good, so no need for me to get replacements.

I recall playing a new generation of these a few years ago and the football version would allow you to move up, down and forward, but you couldn't move backwards, and I didn't like that at all.

I'd be curious if these newer versions allow full movement.

I picked up Baseball and Football today (will get Basketball tomorrow) and am extremely impressed. I expected low quality reproductions, but these games are very well built and replicate the originals pretty faithfully. The main difference is the audio, which has been updated to have extra sounds. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys LED games.

Why would anyone remake these?

Very odd that you'd hang out on a retro gaming forum and have to ask such a question.

• Like 1

Interesting that they don't have soccer in the remakes. Soccer seems a lot more popular in the US now than when the original versions of these games were made.

Then again, I tried selling of my original soccer one not long ago and didn't have any takers.

I never knew they made a soccer version. You still got it?

These are the games that I had as a kid back in the day:

Football

Baseball

BG Space Alert

Sub Hunt

Torpedo Shoot

Dracula (from epoch)

Cave Man (from Tomy)

and I've held on to them all these years. I play them still every so often; except for BG Space Alert which may just be the battery clip since I lost the door as a kid and the battery tends to dangle.

Somehow my mini-arcades of Pacman, Frogger, and Galaxian didn't make it with me through the years. I am not sure what happened to those. I may have traded my buddy one of them for Cave Man.

In regards to your question - I've not thought about expanding my collection until I read that your soccer game is sitting all alone in a box. And until now, as I write this, I didn't even consider these a collection. I've always simply considered them as games that I own.

Do you have others in addition to the soccer game?

I even had a few of the Tomy water games like this:

1139456_2_l.jpg

The only other "sports" hand held I have is a kinda rough Bank Shot LED pool game (works but missing the battery door).

I also have a Pocket Simon, Li'l Pac-Man (toddler level "game") and MGA Centipede that looks like a miniature arcade cabinet.

All are living in the garage these days.

I'm a sucker for old LED games and just saw these advertised at BB&B.

https://m.bedbathandbeyond.ca/m/product/classic-electronic-sports-handheld-games/220839

Has anyone here used these? If so, how are they? Do they play identical to the original Mattel games? I'm considering picking them up tomorrow.

I have both the original and remake on a few of the Mattel Handhelds. I even have one Mattel unit that I have owned since 1978. The original definitely sounds better and has a brighter screen. The newer version does add some features though.

Portables Guide - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=481526#p481526

post-27490-0-25816500-1448311945_thumb.jpg

Edited by CRTGAMER

I thought these pictures looked a little different. The white version of football is from 1977

I have the 1978 Football 2 version, but my front label is missing and I never knew that there was a different version.

I don't like the version with the 3 movement buttons. Isn't that the version that the player can't move backwards?

This is what mine looks like (minus the nameplate label):

Z0042966.jpg

Some guy went to the trouble to make new molds and has an injection moulder just for this?

Huh? These aren't made by some random guy in his basement. These are a proper retail product. My local BB&B had hundreds of them in stock.

Edited by goldenegg