IGNORED

Midnight Mutants Maps, Guide, & More Supplement

Trebor

@WhiteHat94really did an impressive job with his posted speedrun.  I enjoyed it so much, I broke down the parts, added an additional possible option, comments, along with bringing together the respective map sections posted previously (with some modifications), that need to be known for it.

MIDNIGHT MUTANTS SPEEDRUN

=====================

1.  ACQUIRE KNIFE.
2.  ACQUIRE CROSS*.
3.  ACQUIRE AXE, THEN ENTER FIREPLACE.
4.  ACQUIRE BLASTER THEN ACQUIRE MEGA BLASTER^, EXIT FIREPLACE.
5.  BEAT DOCTOR EVIL.
6.  UTILIZE WARP.
7.  FREE GRANDPA.

*LANTERN can also be acquired, it makes navigating dark areas easier, but adds a considerable amount of time.
^All enemies in the respective area need to be destroyed to make the BLASTER and MEGA BLASTER appear.

Picking up power-ups (Health Potion, Blood Potion, Sacred Diamonds), particularly along the way of accomplishing steps 1, 2, and 5, varies in time it adds onto the quest.   In some instances, it is no additional time, other acquisitions may add on a substantial amount.

Download with above steps and below screenshots:  MIDNIGHT_MUTANTS_SPEEDRUN.zip

image.thumb.png.0edefd517990d3bdc6af344de6ec06e9.png

image.thumb.png.539ef88b7080e63afef576c84c400e32.png

image.thumb.png.63d71185e4ddfa8de52c2672f49b4432.png

image.thumb.png.083f62333f0699a4d6efd092dcb97b1f.png

image.thumb.png.7474c8ecdec92e2f2fcdeaad52c26e2f.png

image.thumb.png.65a714133e449521ddf6cd45bbdb4427.png

image.thumb.png.901b81ed21a79cf45b7a4251f4924a6f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Optimally a run would skip the Knife, Cross and Lantern, and just go right for the Axe from the start. It's possible and I did it with savestates, but the randomness of all the bat damage, due to skipping the Cross, made it very reset heavy so I opted to take the 1 min time loss and grab Knife and Cross just to finish.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, WhiteHat94 said:

Optimally a run would skip the Knife, Cross and Lantern, and just go right for the Axe from the start. 

Absolutely. :)

20 hours ago, WhiteHat94 said:

It's possible and I did it with savestates, but the randomness of all the bat damage, due to skipping the Cross, made it very reset heavy so I opted to take the 1 min time loss and grab Knife and Cross just to finish.

Definitely what I took into consideration, is the feasibility and realisticness of a speedrun without cheating (savestates) or being nearly impossible (reset heavy) to accomplish. 

That is the reason why I also made mention of picking up the lantern as an option, although you opted not to do so in the video posted. 

For some, navigating the dark areas without a lantern may not be doable either without savestates and/or being reset heavy. ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trebor said:

Definitely what I took into consideration, is the feasibility and realisticness of a speedrun without cheating (savestates) or being nearly impossible (reset heavy) to accomplish.

It'd be interesting to see how a TAS run did it.  There's a lot of room for shaving time, but it seems as though much of it will depend on faster-than-human responses.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...