IGNORED

Games you think are worth their high price?

Dashopepper

Vectrex = VeCaves. So simple, so challenging plus great in-game music! About to be re-issued after 14 years by packrat. It will be worth it to pay extra for a copy with an overlay (if an overlay is offered and the colors are clear and bold). The original homemade one took into account that its Orange color with the blue vectors made a brown "cave".

Intellivision = DK Arcade. Yes, DIIK gets all the praise and it has DK in it, but it does not have DK with the Japanese screen order of Levels 1, 2, 3, & 4, like it was originally intended to play.

Atari 2600. I don't think there are any rare "must haves" for me, but for now I like owning Crazy Climber and Pengo, and a few other games that were only released 1986 onward, way after I had moved on to Atari 800XL.

I completely missed any 1985+ video games like Nintendo, TG16, PS1... except for Sega Genesis.

• Like 1

I'd be a bigger fan of shmups if I could beat any of them. It's a genre that I'm horrible at.

I used to "suck" horribly at SHMUPs but I enjoyed them despite I would die in 30 seconds. I imported Parodius Da ("cute em ups" are good starter games as they parody the serious games and tend to run on the easy side) for Super Famicom to play on my SNES with cut tabs, I've gotten far better at Galaga since picking up Atari 7800, and I'm slowly collecting SHMUPs for the Turbografx. I've passed the first stage in Blazing Lazers so I know I've improved a lot. If you persevere, your skills will improve.

Anyway, to get back to the subject of the thread, some other good games that are worth their high price (IMHO): Pretty much any popular game on the GameCube. It seems like GameCube games in general have just rocketed up in value over the last few years, and most of the popular and well known titles are in the $40 to $60 CIB area these days. All the Zelda games, Star Fox Adventures & Assault, Killer 7, all the Resident Evil titles, Mortal Kombat: Deception, Mario Kart: Double Dash, and Mario Party 4 to name a few.

Game Cube has skyrocketed lately. I still remember when Wii was all the rave and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was like $12 at Best Buy. Amazing game btw.

Tengen Tetris is worth the price in my opinion. Gotta love the co-op mode. Granted it's never been stupid expensive either, just kind of elevated.

Yeah Tengen Tetris I'm surprised has barely kept up with inflation as other NES games syrocketed. It's an excellent game especially the coop mode, and has a colorful history rife with questionable copyright and lawsuits.

• Like 1

I'm not sure any game should be worth $800+ but if the only way to play a game was buy owning a real copy. Little Samson would be worth owning.

No, Little Samson might be a good game, but since no one has released a subsequent version, you may as well emulate. No game is worth $800 for gameplay in comparison to what $800 could get you elsewhere.

• Like 1

A52 is up to 200$ now? Wow. Last itme I checked it was around 90/100$

Actually, it's currently going for over $300 on Amazon and eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.Xnes+action+52.TRS0&_nkw=nes+action+52&_sacat=0

http://www.amazon.com/Action-52-NES-NINTENDO/dp/B002G7INFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448477011&sr=8-1&keywords=nes+action+52

Maybe you can get just the cart in not so good condition for much less.

Edited by mbd30

Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure for the Turbo Grafx 16 is on the steep side but worth having. I got in 2010 loose for $100. It's about $200 loose on ebay nowadays and goes for $400 complete the last I checked. Mega Man 7 for the SNES is fun too but fetches about $170-$200 loose. Dracula X was disappointing to me. Goes around $175-$200 loose. I have Mega Man 7 and Dracula X on Super Famicom carts. MM7 was $15 and $45 for Dracula X

I think Snatcher (mega-cd) is something special. But I would not buy it since I don't have the hardware. (I only buy to play)

I payed a reasonable price (around €25) for Zelda four swords and Paper Mario for the gamecube, which are getting more expensive now, but I think they are overrated.

The resident evil games (gc) seems to be cheap here, so I have to get them soon I guess :)

Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure for the Turbo Grafx 16 is on the steep side but worth having. I got in 2010 loose for $100. It's about $200 loose on ebay nowadays and goes for $400 complete the last I checked.

Holy cr#p! I have a loose one lying around, got it almost for free in the 90's.

• Like 1

Action 52... ... ... ... okay, not really...

I'd pay maybe $50 for "Action 52" for the novelty value. It's definitely not worth $200 or more.

I got the Genesis version. Cheaper and plays better too... :D

Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure for the Turbo Grafx 16 is on the steep side but worth having. I got in 2010 loose for $100. It's about $200 loose on ebay nowadays and goes for $400 complete the last I checked. Mega Man 7 for the SNES is fun too but fetches about $170-$200 loose. Dracula X was disappointing to me. Goes around $175-$200 loose. I have Mega Man 7 and Dracula X on Super Famicom carts. MM7 was $15 and $45 for Dracula X

It's only true if your copy is an US Turbografx 16 version. Japanese complete boxed versiosn sells for much cheaper, about 50/60$, and a loose one for about 20/30$.

Bonk 3 is off my radar sadly. Just get an Everdrive so you can have your cake and eat it too.

They you're in luck :D Anything TG16 have high value those days.

Word...

No, Little Samson might be a good game, but since no one has released a subsequent version, you may as well emulate. No game is worth $800 for gameplay in comparison to what $800 could get you elsewhere.

What? When I make a comment based on a scenario not existing and you make a reply using the exact scenario to disagree with my response, that makes me go what?

I'm not sure any game should be worth $800+ but if the only way to play a game was buy owning a real copy. Little Samson would be worth owning.

So again if emulation was NOT an option and the ONLY way to play was by owning a real copy I would definitely want a Little Samson. Would it be worth $800? Again I'm not sure any game is worth $800 but if you have the money and want to play it badly enough you would "pay" what you had to.

Protector for the Vectrex; I paid a hefty price for my copy many years back and wouldn't entertain any offers less than $1K (and even at that price I wouldn't let it go: George Pelonis was the original owner and I bought it from him).

Love my copy of that, although I'm so bad at it, I still haven't unlocked the hidden game. Oh well..

Can't remember what I paid for my copy (bought it from Alex; it's the complete box with overlay)...

Personally, nowadays, I can't get myself to spend more than $30 on a single game. Even the ones I want and know are worthy (I'm thinking of you Vector Pilot)...

I just can't justify that anymore... I seem to have more fun buying more less expensive things...

desiv

What? When I make a comment based on a scenario not existing and you make a reply using the exact scenario to disagree with my response, that makes me go what?

So again if emulation was NOT an option and the ONLY way to play was by owning a real copy I would definitely want a Little Samson. Would it be worth $800? Again I'm not sure any game is worth $800 but if you have the money and want to play it badly enough you would "pay" what you had to.

If I was the last man on earth, I could charge women a million dollars for sex, too. But here in this place called reality, no broad's gonna spend a nickel on this ass and no one would buy Little Samson for $800 just to play either. I mean, as the internet has shown us, there's always that one guy out there who is dumb enough to do something like that, but I was assuming we were using some common sense here. If the only way to play Little Samson was to pay $800, we'd all be sitting here talking about how stupid someone would be to pay $800 to play Little Samson.

• Like 1

The only game that comes to mind that I'd consider "worth it" in the $80+ range is Body Slam: Super Pro Wrestling for Intellivision. I'm a big Intellivision fan and for an Intellivision game, the game is just *that* cool to me. It's like a poor man's Pro Wrestling, yet not necessarily worse. Video Whizball for Channel F might be another one, but I'd prefer to hold out for a loose copy in the $50-75 range...which may never happen again from the look of Channel F prices lately.

All others I'll either settle for repros, emulation (ick), or simply accept that I'm going to do without, indefinitely, until I miraculously luck across a copy for an extraordinarily reasonable price.

I don't see why there's all this arguing. Of course there's emulation. Also remember that if you buy a Little Samson for $800, you aren't just throwing $800 into thin air- with the collecting market, that could be an investment with a positive ROI, and the fact that the game is fun or easily emulated would be beyond moot. It's not like we're talking about an arcade machine that costs 4000 quarters per credit that only exists in one arcade in the world or something here.

The point is "What high dollar games are well made, enjoyable, or are your favorites."

Basically if our two categories are:

1: Rondo of Blood, Little Samson, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound

2: Stadium Events, Action 52, etc

which fit into the first?

• Like 1