IGNORED

Games you think are worth their high price?

Dashopepper

Some of those games are always going to be expensive due to low print runs, etc, but you can't tell me a SMB3 cart is worth $30. Crap.. the WiiU VC is good enough for me.

SMB3 is easily worth $30 from a gameplay perspective. SMB2 I'd value at a cool $25. My local GameXChange had a copy of SMB 2 and 3 the other day. Just under $20 each. Of course I already own those and am not a game hoarder so I left them for someone else to find.

A lot of people who played games as a kid don't have new consoles. Spending $30 on what many consider to the the single greatest game of all time is not that big of a deal to a lot of people.

Ditto.

Mario 3 is easily one of my all time favorite games. I never really got into 2 but maybe I just didn't give it a long enough chance. I think I'm going to start playing every nes games from A-Z and find all the hidden gems. I may not beat them all especially if the suck lol but I will give them all a go. It will also make me finish my collection. I have over 600 games so it will entice me to get a game I need to play. Of course if it is expensive I will not be playing original.

I sometimes forget how to do multi-quote (or I am just too lazy).

Is SMB3 worth $30 of game play? I guess I can't argue that as it was one of my favorites back in the day. That isn't what I was getting at.

Is a physical copy worth that much? My reference point was for a bare copy... no instructions or box. It wasn't too long ago that the cart only went for somewhere between $9-$12. Have so many gone into buyers hands to justify that price or are the prices just hiked because of all of warm and fuzzy feelings people have about that period?

$25 with a decent box and instructions... maybe as long as you already have the hardware to play it.

Edited by cybercylon

I sometimes forget how to do multi-quote (or I am just too lazy).

Is SMB3 worth $30 of game play? I guess I can't argue that as it was one of my favorites back in the day. That isn't what I was getting at.

Is a physical copy worth that much? My reference point was for a bare copy... no instructions or box. It wasn't too long ago that the cart only went for somewhere between $9-$12. Have so many gone into buyers hands to justify that price or are the prices just hiked because of all of warm and fuzzy feelings people have about that period?

$30 bucks is what I would be willing to pay for it from a purely gameplay perspective. The gameplay to me is worth $30. The game cart itself is worth whatever the market says it is. SMB2, is maybe worth $20-25 from a purely gameplay perspective. SMB, $10-15. Not market price, just what I would be willing to pay for the included gameplay.

But yeah if dirt commons like SMB 2 or 3 ever hit $60 or more loose, I'm done collecting. I'll start selling off my games one by one, starting with the ones I never play anyway, and just use a Powerpak or Everdrive. Eff that.

I'm getting my friend the 150-in-1 cart from Aliexpress for his birthday (I bought two of them) because collecting has gotten stupid expensive and he can't afford the games. It's got it's issues but is essentially an entire NES collection of mostly good games on a single cart. He's got a simple Retrobit clone with original controller, and the multicart bootlegs work great on them.

Chrono Trigger all the way. A loose cart runs over 100 (120-140 if you're not willing to surf eBay for a decent deal), but it's worth every penny. If you like RPGs, it's a must play and being my favorite game of all time, I ponied up for it a while ago. I'm always surprised by the number of people who haven't even heard of it.

My thoughts are if you're really going to play it and you can afford it, buying your favorite games is totally okay even if they are a bit expensive.

I haven't played it in a long time (lost almost all my PS1 games long ago), but I had a lot of fun playing Suikoden 2 for the Playstation.

I bought Suikoden 1 from a movie rental place when they were getting rid of some rental games they had. I liked it, so when Suikoden 2 was on sale at Target, I bought it. It was up over $200 for a while, but a quick check on ebay shows that it looks like it might have fallen some. Still >$100 for CIB.

Goodness gracious. I bought this on PSN for a dollar or two, knowing I may well never play it. Perhaps I should bump it up a bit on the backlog queue if it's all that. Or is this just down to "rarity," not playability and fun?

Goodness gracious. I bought this on PSN for a dollar or two, knowing I may well never play it. Perhaps I should bump it up a bit on the backlog queue if it's all that. Or is this just down to "rarity," not playability and fun?

I have to admit, some of the cost probably is rarity. But it was a pretty fun game. It has a pretty good story, and a few times when the gameplay changes up into a wartime battle kind of thing that's like a elaborate paper, rock, scissors. Then there's the castle building and something like 104 different characters that can be found and added to your side (who will all show up in the castle, and many of them are available for battle in your party). Combo attacks with different characters and such. Just a lot to do.

One could argue this gem, turd, whatever is worth the price of admission:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-quality-72-Pins-8-bit-Game-Cartridge-150-in-1-with-Rockman-1-2-3/32401916639.html?spm=2114.01010208.8.4.DTktPg

Cheating obviously, but at $16.50 for the 150-in-1, that comes out to like 11 cents per game... :ahoy:

It is a very good jrpg for one thing, and this one did have a very low print run. If it were a priority for me, I'd have a physical copy, but generally the cost is over the line for me, so I am happy they put out a digital copy. I played the first one again last summer, so this is up on my to play list.

That's the thing about a good rpg... if you have not played it for a long time, then it is almost like playing a new game.

Star Castle on the Vectrex, and 3d minestorm on the vectrex .

I wish the Vertex, its games, and controllers were cheaper. I'd love to have one but its just too much. Do you think the price of the system and its games is justified if someone doesn't even own any of it yet?

Its justified becuase of the size of the library. Also, I would rather spend $300-$400 on a Vectrex rather than a ps4 or xbox one. There really not expensive if you compare them to collecting for a Snes or any system with a large amount of games. Also, new games for new systems cost between $40-$60, and there not nearly as entertaining in my opinion.

Its justified becuase of the size of the library. Also, I would rather spend $300-$400 on a Vectrex rather than a ps4 or xbox one. There really not expensive if you compare them to collecting for a Snes or any system with a large amount of games. Also, new games for new systems cost between $40-$60, and there not nearly as entertaining in my opinion.

Um... Isn't the vectrex library extremely tiny, or am I misinformed?

• Like 1

Um... Isn't the vectrex library extremely tiny, or am I misinformed?

Vectrex would be an amazing system to own, but I have too many toys as it is... :P

Its justified becuase of the size of the library.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Vectrex_games

According to Wikipedia, there are a grand total of 28 official Vectrex games. Its a great system and I love vector graphics, but how is this a large library? Its only 6 more games than the VIRTUAL BOY. Is there something I'm missing? Just trying to clarify because if there is something else I'm looking right past, I'd love to know in for any purchase considerations.

Thanks! :rolling:

According to Wikipedia, there are a grand total of 28 official Vectrex games. Its a great system and I love vector graphics, but how is this a large library? Its only 6 more games than the VIRTUAL BOY. Is there something I'm missing? Just trying to clarify because if there is something else I'm looking right past, I'd love to know in for any purchase considerations.

I think what he is saying is the library is small that if you want them all, it's within reach, and all the games are good to exceptional. So dollar for dollar, it's still an amazing system to collect for. And the homebrew community is nothing to sneeze at, either. It's 100% true. A SNES itself is cheaper than the Vectrex, but the Vectrex games are cheap compared to SNES in demand titles.

Vectrex would be an amazing system to own, but I have too many toys as it is... :P

You of all people need a Vectrex. You'd definitely appreciate it. If you've played one before, you get a pass, but if you haven't... man, you should really consider it, even if it means losing something rare you have that you don't really care for too much. It's truly something else. I can't even explain it, I will admit at one time thought I'd never get one and when I got lucky and snagged one at an unbelievable price (even for 2008ish standards), I fell in love. When I turned that unit on and the graphics were so crisp on a system from 1982... I almost lost my shit. I don't think I'd ever or have ever played a vector arcade game aside from the Vectrex before, so I was genuinely shocked at how beautiful it was and the overlays mimicking bezels... oh God, if only that fucking crash never happened.

As a guy who doesn't give a shit about rare games, whatever, granted this is combined with a strong Canadian dollar (when I bought my Vectrex) compared to a weak one now, I paid $182 for my Vectrex system & game lot or something silly like that in Canadian dollars (shipped... SHIPPED. I promise you shipping to Canada is not cheap, even from within Canada), today the games I got alone could fetch like $450 (Canadian). And I'm not honeydicking the prices, just what would sell in a day on eBay BIN. Blows my mind. Thank God I got my shit when I did. I honestly think it's the only system I actually truly appreciate besides my SMS (though it was cheap as hell in 2004, it was a long 15 year journey to finally get one after wanting one when I was 4 and getting a NES instead). Long story short, knowing the terrible Canadian dollar and impossibly high shipping from US, I couldn't imagine getting one in 2008, and now in 2016, prices would be like 3 or 4 times higher than what I got it for, plus disgusting shipping charges. So I still can't help but look at that little motherfucker and pinch its cheeks and treat it like my favorite child. I wish eBay records could go back in time because when I bought that shit I was poor and randomly the seller gave free shipping if a Canadian bought it, which is how I got the system and games, obviously in the auction style market. I'd like to buy that guy a nice bottle of whiskey and kindly pay his good heartedness back.

• Like 2

I think homebrews would trump the original releases in quantity. I heard there is a multicart with all the original releases and a selction of homebrew on it as well. It would be cool to get one with the multicart and plug it in and forget.

The Vectrex can likely get spendy if you wanted the overlays, but honestly I never liked the look of overlays. I'd rather just play natural black & white than deal with fake contrasty colors.

@bretthorror, I may yet get a Vectrex someday. It's on my wishlist. When I get my own place, earn a descent living, and can really set up a good retro-gaming 'cade, I'll probably add a Vex.

There must be more Vectrex homebrews by now than there are in the entire original lineup. John Dondzila was prolific in the '90s and '00s and probably accounts for 30-40% of the total Vectrex library by himself.

The Vectrex is one of those consoles where you *have* to experience it. There's nothing else like it, before or since, and emulation doesn't even touch it.

• Like 1