IGNORED

Hayes Chronograph

Bill Lange

I had a friend who had one. He used it on his TeleVideo multi-user system to keep the time for his BBS. Basically, it uses standard Hayes modem type commands such as ATRT to read the time.

I would put your modem on the 850's R1: port, and the chrono on R2:

Attached is the manual which contains some example BASIC code. It might make an interesting project to re-create this using an Arduino and a RTC chip.

HayesChronograph.pdf

• Like 3

Kevin,

Does it still work and keep accurate time? Does it automatically update for daylight savings or do you have to adjust it manual?

Bill

It keeps accurate time, it doesn't compensate for DST.

In today's world (or at least my world) of few computers with serial ports, it's harder to set than it should be, so I don't usually keep it running.

Kevin

To be more accurate:

I had one of these as well, stacked very nicely against my Hayes Smartmodem and Smartmodem 1200 and Hayes Printer Buffer.

These were intended to be queried by the host computer when needed, and it used the standard Hayes command conventions (everything begins with ATtention), and had similar commands to the modems, but for different functions, e.g.

ATDD - Display Date

ATDT - Display Time

etc.

You could use some commands to get time and date in various different formats (printable, binary encoded, etc.), and thus write code on the computer side to e.g. set the system time. A driver could easily be made for SpartaDOS X for example.

Hayes intended for anyone using the Chronograph, to take care of Daylight Savings Time adjustments themselves.

-Thom

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a couple of years, tonight I finally got around to replacing a burned out fuse and got my working again. My has a little board inside by Paul Rickards that lets the Hayes Chronograph update the time via my wireless network and the internet, rather than having to hook up a computer to it.

IMG_3673.thumb.jpg.e48cc4441ef42f1850cedee91a913221.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 1/31/2020 at 9:48 PM, Bill Lange said:

After a couple of years, tonight I finally got around to replacing a burned out fuse and got my working again. My has a little board inside by Paul Rickards that lets the Hayes Chronograph update the time via my wireless network and the internet, rather than having to hook up a computer to it.

IMG_3673.thumb.jpg.e48cc4441ef42f1850cedee91a913221.jpg

If you ever want to sell one, just yell!

• Like 1