IGNORED

Just picked up a TI lot

G-type

I've been wanting to get a TI for a while but I didn't want to pay to ship a large box. I finally found one local!! Now I just need to rebuy some of the other cartridges from my childhood collection. (Also need to get the speech synthesizer module)

TI994a.jpg

Edited by G-type
  • Like 2

I've been wanting to get a TI for a while but I didn't want to pay to ship a large box. I finally found one local!! Now I just need to rebuy some of the other cartridges from my childhood collection. (Also need to get the speech synthesizer module)

TI994a.jpg

Seems to be a pretty decent collection, Hope you get to enjoy it, especially here at Christmas time.;)

Cool! Welcome to the TI Club. :)

Say, if you are comfortable with a soldering iron, you may want to consider << THIS PROJECT >>.

For the price of a couple of Ebay purchased cartridges, you could get that console updated to use the new breed of cartridges, and that will save you a ton of money because you'll be able to use all the new mega-game cartridges listed in

<< THIS MESSAGE >>.

You found a good lot of nice things! You might want to list the other cartridges you are looking for, as one or another of us may have spares of them. I break up a LOT of common cartridges to use the cases for multicartridges, so I've always got a lot of the more common stuff on hand. . .

Welcome back!

I also returned to the TI-99 world in 2009 with buying the real iron. Emulators are not the same :)

I love the sound when you type on the keyboard, I love the silver aluminium.

Our family with me being a kid also had the TI for a long time, and with others moving on the collection grew and grew.

Compared to nowadays computer this one still has a soul. Or like Mark Wills said, it's something special like your first girlfriend.

If my laptop would get broken, I would simply get the data over to another one, probably faster and more powerful model, but if my TI has a problem, I will try everything to fix it.

If your girlfriend gets sick, you wouldn't replace her with another girlfriend, which is more attractive and still healthy.

So somehow this computer has a special meaning to us, which is not true for laptops or any PC I got since.

Hard to explain but might be one the reasons for people to return.

The 99/4A console has composite out as well, so you can skip the tv-modulator. The picture will be far better with composite.

With getting a nanoPEB you will have a very complete setup to load and run any software, it includes 3 virtual disk drives, 32k ram and a rs232 serial port (important for Web99 :) )

http://webpages.charter.net/nanopeb/

There are plenty of cartridge projects going on, the new boards allow us to make multicartridges, the most extreme being the "2048K Games 1" that let you select between 127 former released (and unreleased) cartridge games all on the same module.

If you get a real PEB, the hobby will get even nicer :)

Klaus

• Like 1

Cool! Welcome to the TI Club. :)

Say, if you are comfortable with a soldering iron, you may want to consider << THIS PROJECT >>.

For the price of a couple of Ebay purchased cartridges, you could get that console updated to use the new breed of cartridges, and that will save you a ton of money because you'll be able to use all the new mega-game cartridges listed in

<< THIS MESSAGE >>.

I have never soldered anything before... and I'm not sure I understand what that project does or what new breed cartridges are.

Welcome back!

I also returned to the TI-99 world in 2009 with buying the real iron. Emulators are not the same :)

The 99/4A console has composite out as well, so you can skip the tv-modulator. The picture will be far better with composite.

Yea, I'm using the composite out. I hook it up to my CRT... only problem is I have a lot of game consoles sharing that TV and have to constantly swap them out.

Yea, I'm using the composite out. I hook it up to my CRT... only problem is I have a lot of game consoles sharing that TV and have to constantly swap them out.

You can purchase a multiple switch or a unit to tie them all together and use the switch or a remote to switch between them, then no more wiring couplings/decouplings. I have both, but the one I have hooked up now uses a remote control to switch from one to the other.

I have never soldered anything before... and I'm not sure I understand what that project does or what new breed cartridges are.

Well, if you've never soldered before, this is probably not a first project for you. A good first project would be the

<< Alpha Lock / Joystick Fix >>.

The project I referred to puts 32K in the TI console, that let's you use the extra memory requirements of these "new-style" carts.

The 'new breed' allow many games and/or utilities to reside in one single cartridge, where the 'old-style' was basically one program per cartridge. For a returning TI'er, one cartridge per program can get bloody expensive, and locks them out of the new 'homebrew' stuff until they purchase an expansion unit or can wait or find a Nano-PEB as the other alternative.

You can try to aim for an old Video/Audio Home Cinema Ampifier from the pre-hdmi generation. It's very convenient to connect multiple inputs to one output (=TV or beamer) and choose the channel via remote.

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/data/2179030/c/cc/cc8a5029_Denon_AVR-5803_back_large1.jpeg