IGNORED

Placing TI Monitor on PEB

Diecrusher

Looking back at almost all of the old TI flyers they show the TI monitor sitting nicely on top of the PEB.

I have set up mine the same way but I notice a serious bowing in the top plastic cover of the PEB. Is that just the way it is?

I don't want to permanently dent my box over time but surely they meant the setup to be this way. Stupid question I know but I am just curious..................

I know that I could just put something additional under the monitor but that would ruin the look! :)

Opinions??

Edited by Diecrusher

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of these old Mac towers atop my PEB. Bill could put his foot on top instead of an elbow to be a 35 lb. equal weight. Been that way for well over a decade. Top doesn't look bent at all from the front, but the Mac does straddle the PEB and overhangs front and back. I know the top's finish is scratched and worn from rough use. There's also an old CD burner atop the Mac and in the space beside it rest four TI floppy drives and their power supply. I picked up a used PEB and its lid was actually bent down. Used as a stepstool? ;) I didn't care, I was only interested in if it worked reliably. Which both PEBs have since the 80's.

-Ed

post-38786-0-17909000-1450937196_thumb.jpg

Ok, here is the nicer of the two PEB's I got today. Weighs about one metric ton!

post-8339-0-65523700-1451272548_thumb.jpg

Now, here is the underside of the top, which is kinda hefty in and of itself. I tried leaning on this thing while on the PEB and could hardly bow it! There is a metal plate clear across and pads to help hold on and protect the cards. I doubt the original monitor would cause much if any deformation.

post-8339-0-23417500-1451272712_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I just finished using an UV sensitive epoxy plastic to reglue all of those little plastic shafts back onto the lid so that it would sit nicely on the PEB without shifting around. The Postal Service delivered it to me last week in a box that the sender failed to pack properly. The box was more than strong enough--it arrived with no visible dents or markings, but the PEB rattled around inside like a ping-pong ball, doing some minor damage to the lid (now repaired) and totally destroying the TI monitor it was sharing the box with. The monitor's picture tube had the neck driven into it when the entire back of the monitor was crushed inward. The resulting inrush of gas, glass, and metal fragments splatted onto the center of the screen, completely removing a circular patch of phosphor. It was not pretty. . .and a sad end for a formerly functioning TI monitor. Im more than happy that I was able to fully rescue the PEB though--I'll use it to expand the system my boys use somewhat further. :)

Looking back at almost all of the old TI flyers they show the TI monitor sitting nicely on top of the PEB.

I have set up mine the same way but I notice a serious bowing in the top plastic cover of the PEB. Is that just the way it is?

I don't want to permanently dent my box over time but surely they meant the setup to be this way. Stupid question I know but I am just curious..................

I know that I could just put something additional under the monitor but that would ruin the look! :)

Opinions??

I would not be too worried, I used to have a Sharp TV on top of my PEB when I was a kid, but now it is in the closet (after I migrated all my

floppy disks to the PC and use the nano-PEB).

But my kid had an idea what to do with it when I was making some pictures of the system (see picture):

post-39490-0-98783600-1451316180_thumb.jpg

PEB boxes are strong as "Tonka" (there is a commercial of toys with an elephant standing on it

​(Tonkaclub.nl/Tonkaclub/Tonka.jpg)

You know, I was thinking 'military spec' when I first took the top off one of my PEBs and pulled a card to look at it. These things are really overbuilt and I am thinking they might even be able to survive an EMP! No wonder they cost so much back in the day, but it is one of the reasons I really do like the TI computers. In spite of their shortcomings, the original TI-99/4a and it's accessories were generally all well-built. Atari was initially this way as well, really. I do like Commodore, but the cut corners do add up with their products.

Edited by simbalion

The inside of my PEB lids have E-M-P etched into them...

I like to joke that these things will be used to reconstruct our technological society after nuclear winter.

Of course these plates are really there to keep the radio leakage in, but it makes a strong package and a good story. (And apparently, a size appropriate sitting bench :) )

-M@

• Like 1