IGNORED

I had a thought while looking at my XEGS

Bryan

What if there had been an XLGS? What would this thing look like done in XL styling instead of XE?

1. 45° angles would be pretty much gone.

2. Keyboard would be covered with a brown bezel.

3. All other casing is white with vent holes (or fakes) around some edges.

4. Metal strip containing function keys.

Anyway, I'd love to have one! Wish I had time to do up a render of it.

• Like 1

That's a cool idea. In fact, I'd like to also see that design for the original line as well.

I use to do modeling in 3D Studio Max years ago and have been thinking about getting back into it so I can do some 3D printing. Maybe I'll make this a to-do task. 3D modelling has a steep learning curve though so it could take me some time to get skillful enough to produce anything worth displaying.

I think THE best XL case would be a smaller version of the 1200XL case with horizontal metal strip, but only a little deeper than an 800XL. A numeric keypad on there would be cool as well. We could keep the F-keys, but get rid of the stupid LEDs.

I like this idea, but I suck at making things in plastic, and I'm not all that impressed with the finish quality from most of the affordable 3D printers or services. Instead I was thinking of making an All-In-One style out of aluminum like I did for a chiller prototype several years ago (see below).

CryoBUG_sml.png

This was done through a company up in Washington state called Front Panel Express, using their FREE CAD software.

They have two different enclosure products. And I would be leaning towards the one that uses the Side Profiles (on the left).

Geh%C3%A4use_Seitenprofil_FPE_1.pngcsm_Geh%C3%A4use_Seitenprofil_FPE_2_a46d

Geh%C3%A4use-Header_96_FPE.jpg

And although it has an industrial look, if applied creatively I think it would be a good contender. However it wouldn't be cheap, but it sure would be rugged and professional looking. And way easy to make, since all the real work is done by CNC instead of by hand (in this regard it would be very much like using a 3D printing service). The finish quality is superb (anodized or powder coat, with engraved filled lettering or imported HPGL artwork). The CAD program is very easy to learn, and it has a one click pricing button, as well ordering directly through the app. Takes about 1 week from submission to arriving on your doorstep.

There are also several pre-made objects built-in such as D-sub connector cutouts, to make creation all that much easier.

- Michael

I think a buddy of mine used them when making his front panel for an audio amp he built.

Yea, maybe someone more knowlegable than myself could correct me but I don't think any of these non-commercial 3D printers will come anywhere near the quality of something injection molded but good luck making a mold for a reasonable price.

I put a Sio2SD on my xmas list but I'm going for the cheap model since I'd like to 3d print a case instead of buying one. It forces me to get back into 3D software.

• Like 2

In another thread Curt Vendel was talking about making a "top half" case for the 1200XL. I imagine a system like:

1200XL bottom and top case (essentially a white rectangle in XL style), with either a repurposed 600XL as the keyboard and maybe even joystick ports, or a PC keyboard in XL styling (where to find something like that?) with a Transkey-II or similar interface. That would be sweet. Lots of room for upgrades in the 1200XL case.

• Like 1

In another thread Curt Vendel was talking about making a "top half" case for the 1200XL. I imagine a system like:

1200XL bottom and top case (essentially a white rectangle in XL style), with either a repurposed 600XL as the keyboard and maybe even joystick ports, or a PC keyboard in XL styling (where to find something like that?) with a Transkey-II or similar interface. That would be sweet. Lots of room for upgrades in the 1200XL case.

If the new top case was minus the provision for the keyboard, or had a nice fitting blankoff there would be a lot more room to go higher on the internal upgrades. Then of course having that external matching PC keyboard would make it more like the MegaST (not sure if I got that model# right).

- Michael