IGNORED

Retro Freak firmware update

Newsdee

In both the Freak and the Retron5, changing cheats invalidates save files. Perhaps the new firmware corrupted it?

If you want to just delete the save to get the game to run, then activating a cheat could work. You can do so by adding a new entry to the cheat XML file, using the CRC of the game as reported by the game DB XML dump (menu option).

Recovering the save is another story... maybe you can back it up to a PC and see if FCEUX can read it.

It isn't the file that has gone bad; it's likely the save state data. Something happened between when I last played it and now. I'm honestly not sure if I added the ROM before or after I updated the console. Either way MMC5 is a complicated mapper and if any changes occured to the way it is implemented, the update may have broken my existing save state.

Every time you exit the game, it creates a save state. Every time you reload the game, it resumes from the previous save state. There is a Reset command that allows you to reset the emulated system, but I believe this acts as a soft reset and not a hard one. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to load a ROM without also loading the save state, if one exists. And soft reset and hard reset are different. For instance, Super Mairo Brothster retains the high score when you hit reset on your NES. If you rescued the princess, hitting reset will still give you the second quest. It was a common issue with Nitnendo's Virtual Console on Wii for people who beat Super Mario Brothers once and wanted to play the first quest. Nintendo's workaround was to power off the system without exiting the VC emulator. I could try disconnecting the Retro Freak power adapter while the game is running but I don't want to break something.

Anyway, I've decided to delete the Naked Peach ROM and use the IPS patch directly on the RetroFreak's own dump from my personal copy of Super Mario Brothers. Regardless, the lack of an option to cold boot the game without loading the existing save state is bothersome. Since the save states are stored on the Retro Freak's internal memory, and there is currently no option for viewing or deleting the internal save states (you can currently only view snapshots and SRAM saves - This particular hack does not use SRAM) or transferring them to SD card.

EDIT: Patch worked. You need to create a special folder in the Retro Freak directory on the SD card titled "Patch." Throwing IPS files in the games directory does not work. As for backdoor ROM loading, I'm keeping my Retro Freak mostly clean and piracy free, save for a couple homebrews that won't dump, and a couple Supergrafx titles... :cool:

Atlantean (TG-16 homebrew) does not load, with US or Japanese byte order. Turbo Everdrive 1.x autoload without the SD card also fails. I was previously unable to test the Turbo Everdrive without the import adapter because the slot is too deep and will not fit with the cover on. I've got a PC Henshin adapter in the mail, and with real Hucard / Turbochip games, the Retro Freak dumps them with or without. It literally does not care whether the card uses American or Japanese byte order.

We just need to wait until instruction for this become available...

Sooo... Many... Game Boy icons... :rolling:

Whatever this is pretty badass. Now that Retro Freak doesn't require a download certificate, everyone uses the same update file. I'm guessing the public key it uses has been cracked.

As anyone gotten this message and what does it mean?

thanks

retrofreak.jpg

I don't have that SFX clip, just the dog one. From what I gather, it's based on how many games you install. I got the SFX Dog at 50 and a video at 100. I think that it only counts actual carts you install, not ROMs, since I think I'm at 150 now and didn't get anything.

It's one of the few Easter eggs inside the Freak. Mine was a sound file to change the selection chime which was rather annoying by default.

I've found these oher unlockables as well:

- Famicom mini game (unlocked by number of carts dumped)

- Famicom music clip (also based on carts)

- Credits roll (unlocked after 100 carts dumped)

- A picture of some mascot in front of a building (I think this was specific to one Famicom game but I can't remember which)

• Like 1

It's one of the few Easter eggs inside the Freak. Mine was a sound file to change the selection chime which was rather annoying by default.

- A picture of some mascot in front of a building (I think this was specific to one Famicom game but I can't remember which)

Wow. That's kind of cool. It looks like they had a lot of fun designing this wonderful box.

• Like 1

You've just given me incentive to attempt to dump my entire collection to see how many goodies I can unlock. So cool they put easter eggs on this thing...

I registered a while back to join in on this conversation as I also have a RetroFreak since launch time and have been enjoying it a lot. There was some issue with my registration though so only just able to post (been wanting to answer some questions, but most have been addressed already!).

One note I don't think has been mentioned is that the RetroFreak can have a standard USB keyboard and mouse plugged in and this can be used with the UI (though it doesn't seem that the mouse can be used for any mouse games unfortunately). This was/is handy for using the page down key on the menu system if you load up lots of roms (though latest firmware has added the hold Y+up/down feature which means you don't really need it any more).

Another thing people have asked about is the dump game database to XML feature. This can be useful if you have any custom carts of ones not in the database that come up as "Unknown". You can dump the database edit the XML file and rename these "Unknown" files to something more helpful.

Also for what its worth I have the deluxe edition including the original controller adapter and it works well and have not had any overheating. I have also used PS1/2 to USB controller adapters and a Mayflash Gamecube WIIU USB controller adapter (in PC mode) with the RetroFreak, but at least in my testing all 4 GameCube controllers ended up as player 1 only :-( Maybe this can be enhanced on later firmwares.

Finally one small tidbit - when the Super Famicom Playstation prototype see http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/06/nintendo-playstation-is-real-and-it-works/ cameto Hong Kong (where I live) for the http://retro.hk event - Terry and Dan Diebold were trying to dump the prototype cartridge that came with it. I am part of the http://www.meetup.com/RetrogamersHK/ meetup and they brought it along to one of our meets. I tried to dump the cart, but unfortunately the RetroFreak would not recognise it :-( I think it must have some unusual wiring which was not picked up. Still I had at one point probably the rarest Super Famicom cart in the world in my RetroFreak :-)

Anyone in Hong Kong or visiting please come along to our Meetup!

• Like 1

What lag? I never had any.

Yeah, we went down this path earlier in the thread. Most of us detected nothing and one of us (forget who) detected some lag in the Genesis emulation, so maybe he can respond if his perception of that has improved since the last update. Otherwise, I'm not sure there are really any other lag-sensitive individuals in this thread.

Yeah, we went down this path earlier in the thread. Most of us detected nothing and one of us (forget who) detected some lag in the Genesis emulation, so maybe he can respond if his perception of that has improved since the last update. Otherwise, I'm not sure there are really any other lag-sensitive individuals in this thread.

Yeah, I play the Genesis all the time, never felt any difference. And I'm a stickler for that sort of stuff. Especially in games like F-zero where every twitch reaction matters.

What lag? I never had any.

Cosmic Stardust stated the following on page 2 of this thread

I played Crueball (Motley Crue Pinball) tonight and noticed the Genesis emulator lags more so than the others. NES lag is almost unnoticeable. Turbografx is slight. SNES is slight. Game Boy I have not noticed lag so far, but the Genesis end is definitely bad.

I've stayed away from the Retro Freak, primarily due to the fact it appears to run very similar software as the Retron 5. The Retron 5 has substantial lag, especially for its SNES emulation, so I wasn't willing to spend $200US+ on another console with lag.