IGNORED

Stadium Mud Buggies thoughts?

ubersaurus

I serendipitously got a boxed copy of this game the other day for $60, albeit without a manual. I've never really spent much time with the game, but it seems like one that takes some getting used to with the controls and physics. Curious on hearing people's thoughts about the game itself - any neat tips or strategies I should know about, best gametypes, if you've ever gotten to try it two-player (and if it's any good), that sort of thing. I figure I've paid for it, I'd like to figure out how to get the most out of it!

I've only played it a bit, but it's pretty advanced for the Intellivision. A theme of the Super Pro era games is customizability of gameplay. It's a pricey game, particularly boxed, so your price was great. Even loose carts typically sell higher than $60. For the money, you could probably find a better racing game for $4 on a newer gen console ;-) It was actually ported for the NES as Monster Truck Rally by INTV in 1991.

https://youtu.be/JjQeGqLuK34

I haven't played Stadium Mud Buggies much, other than on the Flashback a couple times.. but I played the hell out off Monster Truck Rally on NES, it one of my childhood favorites and had to have it CIB. I still have the cart from when I was a boy and I found a loose box on eBay back in 2013. Anyways, good score on SMB, i hope to have the cart one day for my collection as well.

I don't have this game, and that video is the first time I've seen the game play.

Now I want one more than ever. But I guess I can wait until I open my Flashback on Christmas.

It is like a much more advanced version of Motocross. I've played a lot of Motocross as a kid. If I only knew what I was missing!

I don't have this game, and that video is the first time I've seen the game play.

Now I want one more than ever. But I guess I can wait until I open my Flashback on Christmas.

It is like a much more advanced version of Motocross. I've played a lot of Motocross as a kid. If I only knew what I was missing!

The clip I posted was the NES version, but here's the Intellivision version:

https://youtu.be/GG1fajDy2yM

Still pretty advanced for the Intellivision.

• Like 1

Yeah, those look more like Inty graphics. Still looks fun.

There is no "build your own course" like in Motocross? But I guess with so many more options for hazards, and such, to add into the course it would be too much programming for the cart at the time. The ability to make your own track in Motocross was one of the appeals of the game for me

I opened my Flashback on Christmas morning. Been playing a lot of Space Spartans and AD&D Cloudy Mountain. I gave Stadium Mud Buggies a try yesterday. It is a neat game, but I gotta get the steering set the way I like it. I didn't read the manual and you are saying it is possible to change gears, eh? That might explain why the computer left me in the dust and I was struggling up the hills. I can't imagine doing the course in first gear only. Ha, that's funny.

The game is well done but I think the controls are a bit of a problem with this game. Holding down the Intellivision side button for the accelerator is hard for me. Auto Racing had automatic acceleration, and Motocross acceleration was a bit like cruise control. Of the three I like the Stadium Mud Buggies way the least. I do like the way they have gear changing in this game. Auto Racing (revised ROM) used a realistic right/left steering system. Stadium Mud Buggies is point and drive steering. Motocross let you choose between the two. Again I prefer realistic right/left steering.