IGNORED

Whats with n64 game prices?

MGSnake15

My theory is that the cause is dumb parents.

Many children still have their N64's and haven't gotten a new system (or maybe they have, but still play the N64 anyways). So, they go to buy video games, and the kid ends up wanting an N64 game. Not realizing that the games are old and not really worth $60-70 (Which is what some of the prices are around here!), they buy them anyways, since that's the going rate for video games.

It pisses me off, because I like the system, but I can't afford to spend that kind of money on it. I don't mind paying $20 or $25 like I did for CBFD... but there's no way in hell I'm paying $65 for Tony Hawk 3.

--Zero

I sold my like-new N64 carts on ebay and only got ~$10 each for them. So it IS possible to get cheap N64 games if you visit ebay.

Also, I got this email from a parent, " We bought a Nintendo64 in 2000, and now we can't find the games. Thanks for selling me yours. The salesman didn't tell us it was not going to be made anymore."

Duh. Consumers (not just parents) are really clueless. They don't realize they have to do research FIRST before buying something. She should have realized that the N64 was 4 years old and at the end of its life before she put down her money.

Anyway, I explained to her that consoles only last 5 years, and then become obsolete and that even current consoles like Gamecube or Playstation2 will be obsolete in 2005. She didn't respond. I guess she was annoyed?

Sadly, the same is true for computers. Even if you bought a top-of-the-line computer, it's only good about 5 years before you have to start upgrading it or else throw it out and buy a new model (I prefer the latter option).

PS2 games used are cheaper than most N64 games used (except N64 sports/racing games, those are NES cheap). N64 games are too freakin expensive. I guess I'll never get to play Paper Mario or Ogre Battle 64, I know they are good, but I don't have $30-40 to throw down on a cartridge with pop spilled all over it. Damn Gamestop.

The guys working at one of the BB in my neighborhood said he got word that soon they will be selling off all of their Nintendo64 and PS1 games.

I will be following up at the local BB and once it happens I'll let everyone know. Hopefully it will be chain wide. The perfect chance to pick up all the greatest games (i.e. the games that were still renting up until the end)

I'm from the UK, and I find the same problem, to a pretty large degree. The cheapest games are still usually over £10 ($15ish?), though I picked up Mario 64 cheap for £5. But Majoras mask is stupidly expensive. You're lucky to find it for under £30. (more expensive than a secon hand console!)

Very annoying, as this is one of the few N64 games I want, but I can never persuade myself to part with such a large chunk of cash for a second-hand, old(ish) game.

My local Toys R Us has Paper Mario for $21 on Clearance. 5 left. Not sure what they're worth to you guys, but I can pick one up and send it out to you for $25 out the door if you want.

Was amused to also see they still had Game Gear and Genesis games as well. :)

DC stuff was way over priced.

I picked up a good chunk of my N64 collection at Blockbuster. Paid $9.99 for most of them. :)

Blockbusters are HEAVILY phasing out the N64 games. The weird part is, the selection just seems to magically shrink. The rental games for the most part are not showing up for sale when they take them off the rental shelves. I can't imagine where they are going. I visit frequently enough that I am confident they are not being put out for sale and then gobbled up. :?

My local Toys R Us has Paper Mario for $21 on Clearance.  5 left.  Not sure what they're worth to you guys, but I can pick one up and send it out to you for $25 out the door if you want.

Was amused to also see they still had Game Gear and Genesis games as well.  :)

DC stuff was way over priced.

I would take that deal. My local Toys R US liquidated their entire N64 inventory without putting any on clearance, so for me Paper Mario went from $50 to "not even available." I'll PayPal you the money if you like, or you can PM me an address and I'll send you a check.

I picked up a good chunk of my N64 collection at Blockbuster.  Paid $9.99 for most of them.   :)  

Blockbusters are HEAVILY phasing out the N64 games.  The weird part is, the selection just seems to magically shrink.  The rental games for the most part are not showing up for sale when they take them off the rental shelves.  I can't imagine where they are going.  I visit frequently enough that I am confident they are not being put out for sale and then gobbled up.   :?

Maybe they're doing with them what they are doing with their VHS tapes, destroying them without giving anyone the option to purchase them.

Archived