IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

he sure as heck knows what a multicart is and we even reviewed the SD2SNES on RetroGaming Roundup when he was still part of the show.

Holy smoke, I mean, there's "caught in a lie" and then there's "Mike Kennedy."

I don't know what's worse, that Mike's a liar, or that he's a bad liar.

• Like 8

That SNESinaJAG is about as obvious as that cart shell taped to the SD2SNES and I think Eli knows what he saw, but that said I understand what he meant about people being upset because it wasn't direct enough, we got some negative feedback for our discussion on the topic being factual and not a personal bash fest, sorry it wasn't going to be that.

Quite the contrary! That's one of the things that I appreciated about your discussion during your most recent live show (even though I only caught the tail end of it). There's already been a lot of heat directed toward this project; it's nice to hear someone who is able to shed some light on it instead.

• Like 1

I'll be very sincere. I have no love for Piko. I see this Company as someone buying properties for cheap and then selling them for Money. Nothin more. Love for Retro? I don't know. I don't care. The Thing is: even though Noah's ark being on steam is very distasteful IMO, it's still just another Option. I can't see anything wrong with what Piko does, and I think good Comes out of it. He offers a Service of value. Completely different than River West brands.

When you buy a game from Piko, you're not buying a Name slapped onto something. You're buying the actual game. A game that if not for him you'd probably not be able to buy through modern Distribution. It doesn't matter wether he's a cool guy or not. That's irrelevant. Even if you hate Piko interactive, or even Eli personally, you still don't really have any grounds to stand on for criticysing what he's doing.

As for his involvement with the Retro VGS: He's licensing those games in the case the console becomes a reality. He is a Partner, but he's not involved in the Hardware development. He's not the Person who anyone should expect to come here and say anything against this Project at all. And even so, he still never defended the Project. He was neutral about it. He said nothing either way. (actually, if you read between the lines, and not very deep at that, he made quite clear rumours could be true)

I think Piko should separate himself from this, just as anyone else who can, just because it's bad press, and I doubt it can give you good results in the end. He can't be Held responsible for any of this though. And again, he was still more honest than it could have been expected from him.

I doubt many People even on this thread, being put in his Position would have had the balls to be as open as he was. I think If I was involved I would drop off the Project completely, but still Keep my mouth shut. Even if I thought the Project went south, to a certain degree I would still feel I was backstabing them if I just came out and said it was a scam. Unless it was 100% clear it was just an ill Intentioned scam. And that doesn't seem to be the case.

I am sure most People here agree with me. I don't think the People who were more demanding of Piko were out of line or anything. I just think they didin't really take into consideration the whole Situation. Specially the fact that as Piko got involved in this Project everybody thought it was legit. Maybe poorly managed, but at that Point in time I didin't see anyone come out and say this was a scam. That's the Point Piko came in, andby the time Eli went to that toy fair he was already involved in the Project to a degree he couldn't just treat it aswe who are not involved do. It's strange to say that, but it would be unethical of him.

• Like 3

Now I really need to go back to work, I have wasted a lot of time reading this thread and the dozens of pointless posts.

Pointless posts? In that regard, the whole thread is pointless, because there have been almost 150 pages of speculating wtf this thing might be, and poof, it'sfuckingnothing.gif. Given what you said, you could probably pick any single one of the contributors to this thread and they'd likely have a better understanding of what was shown at that toy fair than MK himself, maybe he really is so astoundingly lacking in that regard. Or maybe he's playing dumb and chancing it.

Anyway, sounds like you had a lovely trip, cool story bro, you should blog more.

PS Would love to know if "Li the hardware guy" has taken any of MK's money.

• Like 7

It's very apparent in this thread that people like Kevtris and whoever else with decent technical know how on these forums would openly help Mike, even if indirectly, if Mike would have just opened up and been honest. If Mike would have kept his fans updated every step of the way, whoever this Li guy is would have been exposed to be full of shit before Mike got publicly embarrassed.

Did we go a bit overboard on AA? Probably. Did the RVGS guys deserve it anyways? Probably. I mean, as bad as the situation had turned, imagine if their IGG was a success and no one pointed out many flaws in their campaign and they never delivered and backers were out all that dough? Then shit really would have hit the fan. I don't think there's a single person here who wouldn't like to be a part of making a console. What holds us back is a lack of knowledge and that's that. Mike doesn't appear to have that knowledge, except he's more than willing to play with other people's money in hopes that a console magically appears. He also plainly refuses to take the proper steps at launching his product. As I've said 10 times, though some people are confused with the rules, Mike could indeed crowdfund a prototype. He chooses not to, for some reason. And that really creeps me out, because why wouldn't he just do that? Why does he want to sell systems on KS before he's made a prototype? He obviously can't afford to make a prototype... so crowd fund it. Shit or get off the pot, already.

I'm of the type that thinks the guy making the hardware should be the one starting the KS, not some guy who doesn't know if he's coming or going but wants to get his jollies by starting a console. Really think about it, how much vision could Mike have when he knows nothing about hardware or software and brings no money to the table? I don't even know what his purpose is. 5000 people donating x dollars to Mike to spend it without knowing anything about what the money is being used for is not ideal for success. He's like the unnecessary middle man in his own equation. I don't want to fund a project with the marketing guy running around trying to get hardware and software made, I want to back the hardware guy who is gonna get shit done and worry about marketing later, because there are a million people out there more than capable of that.

• Like 12

I'm of the type that thinks the guy making the hardware should be the one starting the KS, not some guy who doesn't know if he's coming or going but wants to get his jollies by starting a console. Really think about it, how much vision could Mike have when he knows nothing about hardware or software and brings no money to the table? I don't even know what his purpose is. 5000 people donating x dollars to Mike to spend it without knowing anything about what the money is being used for is not ideal for success. He's like the unnecessary middle man in his own equation. I don't want to fund a project with the marketing guy running around trying to get hardware and software made, I want to back the hardware guy who is gonna get shit done and worry about marketing later, because there are a million people out there more than capable of that.

Agreed. I've been thinking along similar lines:

f the "hardware guy" is doing all the work, and if the "management team" knows so little about hardware that they can't even tell the difference between an FPGA prototype board and an SNES Jr. board, then what do we need the "management team" for at this point? Why not just let the "hardware guy" call the shots, and bring in the suits only after the product is done, like the Silicon Valley pioneers of yore ... the way it's supposed to be done?

As Bryan asked earlier, why does "Coleco" even need Mike? What, exactly, does he bring to the table?

• Like 2

Pointless posts? In that regard, the whole thread is pointless, because there have been almost 150 pages of speculating wtf this thing might be, and poof, it'sfuckingnothing.gif. Given what you said, you could probably pick any single one of the contributors to this thread and they'd likely have a better understanding of what was shown at that toy fair than MK himself, maybe he really is so astoundingly lacking in that regard. Or maybe he's playing dumb and chancing it.

Anyway, sounds like you had a lovely trip, cool story bro, you should blog more.

PS Would love to know if "Li the hardware guy" has taken any of MK's money.

You win man lol. I took a bit of time off work just to answer you. I honestly find it super funny the way you reacted to my post.

I could have shared, and probably could share more information. But man I come to the thread and there are like 3-5 pages of jokes, memes, videos, and conspiracy theory posts, and quite frankly I don't have the time to read through them.

I should get someone to write an algorithm for this thread to find post worth checking out or answering to. Some of the members bring worth reading and replying-to posts; some not.

A lot of this thread and past threads have been mostly to (sort of) point out the flaws of the project, and when I point out a minor thing (and is only my opinion) someone gets offended?

You sir, win the millennial internet today.

If anybody else have legit and serious information or have questions for me; I suggest to make a new thread, with tighter grip from the mods. (May be [serious] Tag ala Reddit?)

Edit: I can't read tone over a forum posts, so If I misunderstood your post sorry. If not, then it is quite funny.

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 2

Oh, BTW, we just forgot the small Detail that the Controllers don't fit through the holes on that Acryl box. Mike opened up the prototype at the fair and plugged in the SNES Cords. Oh, maybe he didn't realyze those were SNES connectors, he just htought those connectors were "hard wired" connectors.

Edited by leods
  • Like 1

Oh, BTW, we just forgot the small Detail that the Controllers don't fit through the holes on that Acryl box. Mike opened up the prototype at the fair and plugged in the SNES Cords. Oh, maybe he didn't realyze those were SNES connectors, he just htought those connectors were "hard wired" connectors.

Piko commented 12 days and 90 pages ago that the leads that came out of the case were extension cables: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/page-60?do=findComment&comment=3443112

Edit: sorry, thought you were working ;)

• Like 2

Oh, BTW, we just forgot the small Detail that the Controllers don't fit through the holes. Mike opened up the prototype at the fair and plugged in the SNES Cords. Oh, maybe he didn't realyze those were SNES connectors, he just htought those connectors were "hard wired" connectors.

I had mentioned this before; don't remember the page. But I recall very well stepping into the connection from the controller to the Female plug of a SNES extension (they were on the floor)

So the SNES controller connections never went into the transparent cube, they were plugged out side, into the extensions that went into the cube and into the console.

Something like this:

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/snes_extension/snes_extension2.jpg

But you could not see if they were hardwired as the cable went into the console.

• Like 2

As Bryan asked earlier, why does "Coleco" even need Mike? What, exactly, does he bring to the table?

People are motivated and have invested actual time and money because of the possibility that Mike could succeed and make them wealthy. He's a lotto ticket. If he fails, no biggie, I don't think River West Brands have invested that much, if anything, into this. But as someone else mentioned, if they want to keep their trademark and enforce a copyright, trying to make use their brand helps them keep it if someone tries to infringe on it. So they don't really care who's trying to license it. Just like the cabbage patch kids revival thing.

As far as Piko goes. I like the guy, in fact I feel sorry for him most of the time. It's obvious that Mike is using him, and very selfishly so. Piko is building a good, honest business and Mike is stuck trying to find an answer to justify his console's existence. Then he found that answer by looking over Piko's shoulder. He sees Piko is doing well in the retro business, so now Mike wants a piece of his profits. There really is no need for the Chameleon but now Mike wants to bill it as the one stop shop for retro games for no other reason than to skim off Piko's profits and justify his stupid console.

If I can give my advice to Piko- don't let Mike use you, instead, use Mike. Just get that motor mouth to say your company name as much as possible. I wouldn't have known about your business had it not been for all this. Mike's drama is great free advertising for you. I guarantee you his campaign is going to fail, he's a moron and doesn't realize he poisoned the well too much, but don't let his failure take you down with it. Make sure (put this in writing) that he always has to say "[game's name], licensed by Piko" because then when he fails (again) people know where they can still get that game featured in a sizzle reel.

And be fucking careful, watch your back. Mike will back stab you the second he sees the opportunity to. Do not let him meet or talk to the people you license from because he'll find a way to cut you out of the equation and make a game exclusive to him while he justifies to himself that he's doing the right thing. Be fucking careful.

• Like 11

People are motivated and have invested actual time and money because of the possibility that Mike could succeed and make them wealthy. He's a lotto ticket. If he fails, no biggie, I don't think River West Brands have invested that much, if anything, into this. But as someone else mentioned, if they want to keep their trademark and enforce a copyright, trying to make use their brand helps them keep it if someone tries to infringe on it. So they don't really care who's trying to license it. Just like the cabbage patch kids revival thing.

As far as Piko goes. I like the guy, in fact I feel sorry for him most of the time. It's obvious that Mike is using him, and very selfishly so. Piko is building a good, honest business and Mike is stuck trying to find an answer to justify his console's existence. Then he found that answer by looking over Piko's shoulder. He sees Piko is doing well in the retro business, so now Mike wants a piece of his profits. There really is no need for the Chameleon but now Mike wants to bill it as the one stop shop for retro games for no other reason than to skim off Piko's profits and justify his stupid console.

If I can give my advice to Piko- don't let Mike use you, instead, use Mike. Just get that motor mouth to say your company name as much as possible. I wouldn't have known about your business had it not been for all this. Mike's drama is great free advertising for you. I guarantee you his campaign is going to fail, he's a moron and doesn't realize he poisoned the well too much, but don't let his failure take you down with it. Make sure (put this in writing) that he always has to say "[game's name], licensed by Piko" because then when he fails (again) people know where they can still get that game featured in a sizzle reel.

And be fucking careful, watch your back. Mike will back stab you the second he sees the opportunity to. Do not let him meet or talk to the people you license from because he'll find a way to cut you out of the equation and make a game exclusive to him while he justifies to himself that he's doing the right thing. Be fucking careful.

To address your second paragraph;

I do think there is a market for something like this. If someone can commercialize it, awesome, that would be lovely (at least for us). At the end of the day is all business; and in business you can't bring feelings to the table, you'll get your feelings hurt. If you get your wallet hurt, well is only money, but don't get your feelings hurt.

If this project is successful, great. If it is not, great too; we are no paying for it. That is also our stance should people want to know if we would release games for it or not.

Appreciate the thought, but don't worry about us, we have played with the big boys before and their are nothing compared to a failed kickstarter with no upfront investment (and some bad comments in forums and social media).

One day I should mention the story with my experience with Atari. But that is may be for another thread!

• Like 8

I had mentioned this before; don't remember the page. But I recall very well stepping into the connection from the controller to the Female plug of a SNES extension (they were on the floor)

So the SNES controller connections never went into the transparent cube, they were plugged out side, into the extensions that went into the cube and into the console.

Something like this:

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/snes_extension/snes_extension2.jpg

But you could not see if they were hardwired as the cable went into the console.

Still the plugs were there, and conveniently tucked out of sight, and still claimed they were hard wired.

And to be sincere, anyone who ever played star Fox, and everybody played star Fox immediatly recognizes those pinouts.

So mike didn't open the console. He still wants us to believe he's dumb enough to have gotten a console with an SNES cartridge Slot, and SNES Flash cart, an SNES back Panel and SNES Controller extentions to plug in third Party SNES Controllers, and not think for a second that it just might be an SNES?

• Like 2

Still the plugs were there, and conveniently tucked out of sight, and still claimed they were hard wired.

And to be sincere, anyone who ever played star Fox, and everybody played star Fox immediatly recognizes those pinouts.

So mike didn't open the console. He still wants us to believe he's dumb enough to have gotten a console with an SNES cartridge Slot, and SNES Flash cart, an SNES back Panel and SNES Controller extentions to plug in third Party SNES Controllers, and not think for a second that it just might be an SNES?

I was working, but now I have to level about 45sqft of dirt on my front yard. Got to take off about 2 inches of dirt and dumping them on the backyard to level it out too.

About your last comment on Mike, yeah I wouldn't know that. I haven't seen the insides yet =@; But I have heard the proto they showed on pics running software over a call. I cannot think a way they could have fake that.

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 2

No, of course not. Best case for Mike is that he's a mushroom.

It's good that they stepped back from trying to take peoples' money. I see no need for us to go all "what did you know and when did you know it" at this point in time.

Thanks again Piko for taking the time to tell your side of the story.

Mmmm, mushroom...

Super_Mushroom_(Super_Mario_3D_Land).png

On a serious note, Piko's revalation really explains a lot. Mike is really being used as a pawn in this game. It seems he's ignorant of what is going on behind the scenes, and being used by people further up the chain who have so far not revealed themselves or their intentions. It almost makes me feel bad for Mike being used as a scapegoat or public face rather than trying to actually scam the community himself.

• Like 1

So here is my post with my insight; what I am worried about is that a lot of you will not like it. Mainly because it doesn't reveal Mike or anyone scamming or committing fraud.

Hopefully the community don't start claiming and speculating (like the love to do, seriously whats up with that?) that we are trying to cover up for someone or defending the CC team.

These are honest thoughts and what happen on the NY trip.

<snip>

At this moment, we haven't pull out of the project, nor are on it. We are just like everybody else waiting. If it is somehow successful, then well yeah we'll want to make games for it. It is sort of the point of doing business and games, selling as much of them as possible.

Now I really need to go back to work, I have wasted a lot of time reading this thread and the dozens of pointless posts.

Also, these is how I remember things right now; there might be unimportant details I'm missing.

This reallly explains a lot Piko. Thank you for taking the time to write out you thoughtful post. So it appears Mike is being taken for a ride by his hardware men rather than trying to directly scam the retrogaming community himself. In short, he is a puppet, or a "mushroom" as Flojomojo so eloquently put it. I almost feel bad for the guy now. :sad:

• Like 1

This reallly explains a lot Piko. Thank you for taking the time to write out you thoughtful post. So it appears Mike is being taken for a ride by his hardware men rather than trying to directly scam the retrogaming community himself. In short, he is a puppet, or a "mushroom" as Flojomojo so eloquently put it. I almost feel bad for the guy now. :sad:

Yeah. First it was pipercub, then whoever it was, then John Carlsen, and now Li. These damned Hardware guys abusing Mike. This has to stop. Let's make a Go Fund Me and raise Money to save Mike from These predators.

• Like 7

Mike is really being used as a pawn in this game. It seems he's ignorant of what is going on behind the scenes, and being used by people further up the chain who have so far not revealed themselves or their intentions.

So it appears Mike is being taken for a ride by his hardware men rather than trying to directly scam the retrogaming community himself.

You are both very quick to take Mike at his word for some reason, because 1 person had a short phone conversation with a person who we know nothing about. Suddenly Mike is the innocent victim here?

• Like 2

On a serious note, Piko's revalation really explains a lot. Mike is really being used as a pawn in this game. It seems he's ignorant of what is going on behind the scenes, and being used by people further up the chain who have so far not revealed themselves or their intentions. It almost makes me feel bad for Mike being used as a scapegoat or public face rather than trying to actually scam the community himself.

I'm not following. From the beginning, this has been Mike's venture and Mike's dream, and the "hardware guys" have been peripheral at best, as evidenced by the lack of any, y'know... hardware. How did we get from there to Mike being led around by the "hardware guys"?

• Like 5

About your last comment on Mike, yeah I wouldn't know that. I haven't seen the insides yet =@; But I have heard the proto they showed on pics running software over a call. I cannot think a way they could have fake that.

Was wondering what you meant by this? Running software over a call?

• Like 1

All right, Mike is guilty of "he didn't know"-ing, still guilty as charged as he went along with it twice.

First time you go along and may play the "I didn't know" card, the second time it's irrelevant, you MUST know.

These "believable alibis" we're willing to accept are insane. He's the president, he WANTS money but he DOESN'T know? How does he know he WANTS money then?

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2