IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

that guy is even more insulting than MK, MK just seems like a doof sales diptard that doesnt have a clue, we all have to deal with them, that guy is just a bullshitter while being an asshole about it

btw I hate sales guys, worthless chuckleheads

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

that guy is even more insulting than MK, MK just seems like a doof sales diptard that doesnt have a clue, we all have to deal with them, that guy is just a bullshitter while being an asshole about it

btw I hate sales guys, worthless chuckleheads

I'd like to think they work for the company, but... sadly..... they're probably just that sad.

Going back now to look at Carlsen's RVGS prototype in the infamous 'power supply' video. At a distance the placement of the 'all important' power on LED looks similar but the board looks to be a different configuration. Could this be one of John's WIP boards in there? Carlsen was involved with them for the better part of a year. I'm sure there's something tangible he worked on in that time.

No, it was the first thing I checked, John's boards were different: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/?p=3335358It looks like John Carlsen hadn't got any further than buying the boards and running some sample code one them. To be fair the specifications weren't even fixed when the Indiegogo was running so it's kind of hard for him to have got far with the hardware.

i may be wrong but i see that a bit impossible to do? i thought "well of course i'd does run your homebrew snes games flawlessly, because is a snes and you Eli know it". Because is the only thing i can think of, either Eli owns a working prototype, or he knew all the time it was a snes inside the shell and he used one of his snes boards.

As has been pointed out, you're way off here. Eli built carts that work with a regular SNES and brought them to the show. Mike claimed to have a system that can play SNES carts, emulating a SNES perfectly. There's no need for Eli to own a prototype system himself for this to happen.

• Like 2

Thanks for checking in, Willie! Love your ColecoVisions podcast, and also your contributions to Ferg's 2600 podcast. But I really LOVE your Arcade USA show. Until I watched your show, I had no idea about The Place here in Cincinnati. Thank you for that, as I have been a few times now. Did you hear Cary got an ultra rare Slap Jack cab? Only two are known to exist in the world, and one is here in Cincy at The Place. He just got it, so you may have to do another visit to our area to check it out! :)

Anyway, hopefully all of this drama with Mike and the Chameleon is not getting you down too much. Keep on "keepin' on," man!

The Place Retro Arcade is one of my favorite places to visit. I saw a post that it is being closed soon which is a bummer, I was trying to work on a charity event for Arcade USA there.

On real news:

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/02/27/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-board-adds-wifi-and-bluetooth-connectivity/

Yeah a RPi3 with Quad Core ARM@1.2Ghz 64bit CPU (likely A53 but wee'll see) and it also adds WiFi and BLE.

That would make RetroPie emu distro even better.

Likely to coincide with the 4th year (or 1st leap year) of the RPi: now I have something to look forward comes Monday.

Rumors has it that it's only 5US$ more expensive than the RPi2.

All leaked via the MagPi cover for numer 43, price excluded which is unconfirmed and numbers of cores (can be quad, or dual big.LITTLE .... we'll see)

Nice!!!!

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

On real news:

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/02/27/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-board-adds-wifi-and-bluetooth-connectivity/

Yeah a RPi3 with Quad Core ARM@1.2Ghz 64bit CPU (likely A53 but wee'll see) and it also adds WiFi and BLE.

Likely to coincide with the 4th year (or 1st leap year) of the RPi: now I have something to look forward comes Monday.

All leaked via the MagPi cover for numer 43, price excluded which is unconfirmed and numbers of cores (can be quad, or dual big.LITTLE .... we'll see)

Nice!!!!

Sweet! :grin: Sign me up for an upgrade to my Porta Pi MAME cab. See, if only Mike bought one of these, stuck an SD card with custom firmware, attach a cart bus to the GPIO connectors, design a real enclosure (not a Jag shell) and call it a day, it might actually have turned into something nice...

Looks like people are still interested in this thread:

28 members, 38 guests, 1 anonymous coward.

A far cry from yesterday. Looks like Al's server has cooled down a bit... :P

post-33189-0-68596400-1456530988.png

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/page-127?do=findComment&comment=3451487

Could someone link me the pics from the FB update? I only have twitter so I can't see them easily

Here they are: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/page-126?do=findComment&comment=3451474

After Mike has finally blown all of his money, and sells the molds, would someone please buy them, and relaunch the the actual Jaguar? Is that even within the realm of feasibility? I would hope so, because that would be pretty awesome IMHO. At least it already exsists as a product, lol.

I already have one of those- bought a couple of new old stock unused Jaguar PCBs from best a while back, and then housed them in Mike's clear cartridge shells. A brand new Jag for under $100 - I doubt anyone could re-build a modern Jag for less than that- FPGA would probably be the best option nowadays if all the chips are well understood.

This weekend didn't really have a payoff, that sucks.

But yesterday morning was so worth it!! It was like a Mexican standoff waiting for them to break their silence and make their next move while the Facebook posters scrambling to figure out what's happening! I was laughing so hard at my desk, that will be one of my happiest memories of this project. A truly momentous day in RVGStory. No one trolls this project better than Mike Kennedy.

Right now he's clammed up, he picked up his toys and left the playground but trust me- I know Mike. He craves attention, he cannot leave this earth without leaving his almighty game console behind. He wants us to congratulate his excellence by building a statue of him (maybe we can reuse the molds to a Saddam Hussein statue?). And he will be back. He's closed off his Facebook comments but even he knows those followers aren't enough to float this rapidly sinking turd. He has to reach out to the public and he has to do it real soon, even he knows customers aren't going to wait for his console if a better one is releasing this holiday season.

• Like 3

On real news:

Nice!!!!

its funny I wouldnt wipe my ass with a phone with those spec's, slap PI on it and people are going ape shit over it, that's 100% marketing hype horseshit for ya though

• Like 1

This weekend didn't really have a payoff, that sucks.

No it didn't, but I'm kinda glad the thread has slowed down a bit.

He has to reach out to the public and he has to do it real soon, even he knows customers aren't going to wait for his console if a better one is releasing this holiday season.

I am waiting for the RetroUSB AVS. 720p pure digital high def NES and what I believe to be the first FPGA powered retail console. I don't consider the MIST a thing because it's more a hobbiest / tinkerer toy than a finished retail package.

• Like 1

No it didn't, but I'm kinda glad the thread has slowed down a bit.

I am waiting for the RetroUSB AVS. 720p pure digital high def NES and what I believe to be the first FPGA powered retail console. I don't consider the MIST a thing because it's more a hobbiest / tinkerer toy than a finished retail package.

I had no idea about that until seeing it in this thread. So for me that is one pretty cool pay off from all the drama. Now I've got something else cool to look forward about.

• Like 4

Gotta give the Chamelon credit for one thing... It made The nD look well-thought-out by comparison.

I had forgotten about the nD!

For those who haven't heard of it, check out the story on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_Game

Maybe he is their new hardware guy and the pack in game will be "Bob's Game"

• Like 4

its funny I wouldnt wipe my ass with a phone with those spec's, slap PI on it and people are going ape shit over it, that's 100% marketing hype horseshit for ya though

It's also the fact that the Pi is cheap and not bundled with Android. It's a poor choice if you're building a phone but as a general purpose machine it's not bad. It could use more speed so a revision 3 is welcome news.

well as I said on slashdot there's better sbc's out there more specifically to specific applications, i have a dual core pcuduino lite wifi at 1ghz and 512 meg of ram for like damn near 4 years now, and I bought it on sale for 26 bucks (and 2 gig of nand so if I brick the SD card or usb filesystem I can still boot it without starting from darn near scratch)

but that required a few moments worth of googling, and knowing a half assed effort of debian, but NO PI!!!! NOW COMMUNITY I JUST WANT TO DO XYZ WITHOUT A THOUGHT durh durh durh gimmie a IFIXIT HOWTO!!!!

I have a couple pi's as well but they are not in daily use cause I find them to be sensitive slow chunks of crap, and im not willing to wait half a decade for wifi. I will pay 75$ for a 1.2ghz quad core pcduino with wifi, 1 gig of ram and 2 sata ports 2 years ago when pi was still 2 years behind the times 2 years ago

Edited by Osgeld

As has been pointed out, you're way off here. Eli built carts that work with a regular SNES and brought them to the show. Mike claimed to have a system that can play SNES carts, emulating a SNES perfectly. There's no need for Eli to own a prototype system himself for this to happen.

I think he meant that the picture of Eli's SNES PCB was proof that the Toy Fair unit wasn't the same prototype as shown on Facebook yesterday. He suggested it would take a dev kit for the Chameleon which was unlikely for Eli to have at this stage in the game. The picture's sort of a smoking gun (one of many).

I misread it too, but a follow-up post cleared things up a bit. I guess it hinges upon whether or not a SNES cart will still fit in the clear Chameleon.

• Like 1