IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Here's Part 2 from Pat and Ian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJcYuAhl-9g

To me, this was much, much classier than a certain "apology" video posted the other day.

Again, a bummer that this schnorrer (tip of the hat to Nico) screwed up his own relationships and caused a trickle down effect that damaged others'.

I echo Ian's sentiment on the other video; obviously Mike is done for now. However, I'm a bit worried when he inevitably tries again to make money off of the community he claims to love. Maybe he won't be as direct, maybe he'll do it from behind the scenes... but I don't think we're rid of him just yet. I'm sure there's more to come.

I'm just thankful that we more (mostly) able to come together and see through the bullshit this time.

• Like 10

I asked that "blow your balls off" debuffed guy what his stance on this now was and told him if he values his credibility he should admit he was either wrong or misguided..

I'm not really sure he was ever serious in those videos. Maybe my sarcasm meter is just broken.

Ditto that for janus, even after the unmasking I'm not really sure what side of this either of them were ever on.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

In a nutshell, add another scam to the resume of Mike Kennedy.

I remember that Intellivision Gen2 Kickstarter campaign, and I thought the price was weird at the time because two of the three games (Shark! Shark! and Astrosmash) were already done and released for iOS by Realtime Associates. You can still buy them from the App Store. So, why did they need to earmark 50% of their $100K budget for "game development"? I don't think it should cost $100K to port a completed iOS game to the PC and Mac. Maybe they needed more to develop Night Stalker, but $100K still seems high to me.

I remember that Intellivision Gen2 Kickstarter campaign, and I thought the price was weird at the time because two of the three games (Shark! Shark! and Astrosmash) were already done and released for iOS by Realtime Associates. You can still buy them from the App Store. So, why did they need to earmark 50% of their $100K budget for "game development"? I don't think it should cost $100K to port a completed iOS game to the PC and Mac. Maybe they needed more to develop Night Stalker, but $100K still seems high to me.

Not to mention 10% of the budget was for rewards & fulfillment. Because it costs a lot to send out products when everything except one thing was digital. 10 grand for a few autographed poster prints.

• Like 1

Wow. I know i been away from here for awhile but damn this turned into a huge mess didn't it? I remember when Mike was working hard to get Game Gavel(Chase the Chuckwagon) going and there was live chat sessions with fun and trivia games and giveaways and whatnot, then i come back and see all this. I have been hanging around Youtube for awhile and have been following Pat and Ians podcasts about this debacle.

• Like 1

The date on one of the games on Android was 2014 and this KS is 2015, so it's obvious the games were done. Immediately, I thought... wait, so then if they needed $100 grand, how did this get made? Were they just taking KS money and pocketing it? Is this all a scam too? I full realize that it sure as hell doesn't cost $33 grand to remake an Intellivision game, shit on Steam looks better and are a buck a pop, if that.

Many people see crowdfunding sites, especially Indiegogo with 'flexible funding', as just another marketing tool, as well as or instead of being a way to raise investment capital. Sell the product at a higher price to people who feel like they are a part of making it happen. Mike referred to Indiegogo as being for 'pre-ordering' in his "Indiegogo not happening" Facebook update.

• Like 1

I asked that "blow your balls off" debuffed guy what his stance on this now was and told him if he values his credibility he should admit he was either wrong or misguided..

His response...

"It is comments like that, that have me having to make more videos. Ive been sick with the flu since saturday so it will come, and your comment wont be the only one being referenced.

I will be making 2 - 3 more splitting them up since no one knows how to watch a full video. "

Edited because I may have read it wrong and I was starting to feal mean about what I said.

I'm glad he's making more vids. I feel he's the mascot of this entire saga.

• Like 4

First off, I'm surprised and a little disappointed that no one noticed kevtris' Shart! Shart! typo.

The Intellivision remakes were discussed by Keith Robinson on the Intellivisionaries podcast some months ago. They're looking for ways to monetize the old games, that's all. They put them on PlayStation Mobile, which was largely ignored and is now gone, then they put them on Android/iOS. They didn't fetch any money there, so they figured they'd try Mac/PC to see if there were paying customers there. I don't know where the $100K ask came from. It reminds me of someone listing something for auction with a very high reserve price -- they don't really want to sell, but if the price were high enough ...

Asking for money when you actually have something to offer doesn't seem so shady to me. Asking for money up front for future work is different -- especially when you have a bad track record.

• Like 4

That brings up an interesting thought... what if some classic 2600 games had been patched? (At least two actually were - Demon Attack was patched to fix the game ending bug, and Asteroids had a copyright added.)

I can think of another one, Lochjaw was patched, when it became Shark Attack. Lochjaw has a bug, where the player can get stuck.

• Like 3

Panther was 32 bit, yo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Panther

You can't believe everything you read online. Or hell, even in magazines back then.

Yea... I guess they would have marketed that way even though the intent was to use a 68000 Motorola CPU, the same one used in the Genesis. The 68000 has a 16 bit wide external bus. At least Sega was honest and didn't try to add the Z80 and call the Genesis a 24 bit system....

• Like 1

I can think of another one, Lochjaw was patched, when it became Shark Attack. Lochjaw has a bug, where the player can get stuck.

There's more than that. Check out the rom variants thread, tons of bug fixes that never got publicized.

• Like 1

Ha ha ha, you're funny. When was that, exactly?

Back in the 70's and up to around 1981.

The attitude was let's see what we can make, maybe it will sell. Today the attitude is we need to sell something, what can we make and how can we monetize it.

• Like 2

I never saw myself buying this artificial "retro" console, from the very beginning. I recall the original thread announcing the RetroVGS, where I stated that I am happy playing classic games on original hardware and via emulation (with the right set-up). I also expressed my "hope fatigue" as I still patiently await the XM. I was gently implying that I didn't see the Mike Kennedy project ever coming to fruition.

New hardware for old consoles, however, makes me very eager to throw money at the real creator types. That's why I still look forward to my XM and any new Aquarius add-ons that jaybird3rd throws our way. Yes, a subtle plug of encouragement for Jay. Heck, I'll happily help pre-fund Jay's work on his word alone. #AquariusFlashback

Those types of projects will inspire only happy anagrams from me!

More hardware jaybird? = Whirr! A Daydreamer Job!

• Like 3

ET was one of my most treasured games.

What? E.T. was a horrible game that gave children nightmares and made their teeth fall out.

I have proof:

To What Degree Do You Love E.T.?

E.T. Manual and Tips Sheet

E.T. Map

E.T. Tips and Reminders

E.T. Appreciation Page

E.T. Cake

• Like 2