IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

holy crap 100,000 usd?! IF GG was doing s well, wtf he neded that money for, an RV to travel the country or what...

That is incredible shady and quite frankly horrible, cant imagine someone going into my account and who knows, maybe charging stuff to my card. Can tell us more about the changes he did to your account?

By reading that GG Indi Gogo campaign can say this, GG ws the first scam he tried to pull, RETROVGS7CC wont be the last scam he will attempt, even if isnt gaming related.

Well, he liked Kelly's Express Carwash which is in stockton california, that can narrow the suspects?

this image was made by one of the fanboys after John posted in his FB account about the lynch mob here, honestly disgusted by the fact he allowed people to go on with that, he IS not the retro gaming community.

Kevin Bow is real. I dont really want to post his info in here though. You are on the right track though.

• Like 5

By reading that GG Indi Gogo campaign can say this, GG ws the first scam he tried to pull, RETROVGS7CC wont be the last scam he will attempt, even if isnt gaming related.

I prefer to use the term "scheme" for all of his previous efforts. I don't think they ever rose to the proportion of a full blown scam until the day he stuffed a SNES mini in a Jag shell.

Was the GameGavel IndieGoGo the first?? Eh, not quite.

Remember back in 2011 when the gaming press was all hyped up about how developers are getting screwed out of used game sales and therefore we need a system that will give money back to the developers when we buy and sell used games?

Well who better to come to our rescue than Mike Kennedy! Enter: PostalGamer, the alternative to GameStop brought to us by the man who made an alternative to eBay. Where he'll corner the used game market by offering you a used game with an online pass for a whopping $5 discount off the game if it was new!!

http://www.citizengame.co.uk/editorial/articles/6301/gamegavel-ceo-mike-kennedy-talks-postalgamer

http://www.wired.com/2011/08/postal-gamer-used-games/

Gee, I could swear Mike is determined to place himself as an unnecessary middleman in a gaming scene that doesn't need "an alternative" to established services that are already working just fine... if only I made a video about this...

• Like 17

Speaking of consoles to never see the light, found an entry in EGM Issue 19 from February 1991 about the 16-Bit Atari Panther. Funny how years later a 16 bit console was put inside of a Atari shell :)

Really surprised nobody had posted this before - the original Coleco prototype (from Electronic Games, June 1982):

post-2641-0-55811400-1457558727_thumb.jpg

Everything old is was new again.

(Probably didn't have an Intellivision II inside it though.)

• Like 10

I prefer to use the term "scheme" for all of his previous efforts. I don't think they ever rose to the proportion of a full blown scam until the day he stuffed a SNES mini in a Jag shell.

Was the GameGavel IndieGoGo the first?? Eh, not quite.

Remember back in 2011 when the gaming press was all hyped up about how developers are getting screwed out of used game sales and therefore we need a system that will give money back to the developers when we buy and sell used games?

Well who better to come to our rescue than Mike Kennedy! Enter: PostalGamer, the alternative to GameStop brought to us by the man who made an alternative to eBay. Where he'll corner the used game market by offering you a used game with an online pass for a whopping $5 discount off the game if it was new!!

http://www.citizengame.co.uk/editorial/articles/6301/gamegavel-ceo-mike-kennedy-talks-postalgamer

http://www.wired.com/2011/08/postal-gamer-used-games/

Gee, I could swear Mike is determined to place himself as an unnecessary middleman in a gaming scene that doesn't need "an alternative" to established services that are already working just fine... if only I made a video about this...

Wow... I don't recall that one at all. I assume nothing happened after the press releases....

• Like 1

Where does he get these delusions of grandeur? Check this out

Unlike stores like GameStop, PostalGamer pledges to return 10% of the proceeds of all used game sales, and projects that this could raise up to $500 million for game publishers within the first five years.

This was posted in 2011, so I guess they're off the hook for giving back "up to" $500,000,000. Note: they would need to have done FIVE BILLION DOLLARS in sales to get up to that amount.

Note to press: don't take this loon seriously, OK?

edit: billion, not trillion ... I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for that meddlesome SD&R

Edited by Flojomojo
  • Like 9

Wow... I don't recall that one at all. I assume nothing happened after the press releases....

Me either. Did this get mentioned on AA? Perhaps you should have at least one successful project under your belt before you start spouting off about how you're going to take on large corporations? GG was always a pie in the sky idea, but it at least had a slim chance to be a small niche player in the online auction world. This other thing had absolutely no chance.

• Like 2

This was posted in 2011, so I guess they're off the hook for giving back "up to" $500,000,000. Note: they would need to have done FIVE TRILLION DOLLARS in sales to get up that amount.

$500m being 10% would actually mean $5 billion, not trillion. Still an outrageous number though and perfect evidence of his delusions of grandeur. He really wants to be crowned King of All Gaming.

Another thing to note in a Gamasutra article it specifically mentions Steve Tom Sawyer as his "business partner" and even part-time employee.

I also like the last ominous line in the article: PostalGamer has no publisher support at press time. Its official website had a soft launch this week, and Kennedy says its trade-in program will begin later this year, with or without anyone on board.

• Like 3

Me either. Did this get mentioned on AA? Perhaps you should have at least one successful project under your belt before you start spouting off about how you're going to take on large corporations? GG was always a pie in the sky idea, but it at least had a slim chance to be a small niche player in the online auction world. This other thing had absolutely no chance.

I wonder if there's a "how to invent things and get rich" book he is reading.

Step 1: identify a successful product or service. Extra points if it's associated with something you love! ("hey, I like video games ...")

Step 2: Look closely at the business plan of the successful product or service. What would you change about it? ("gosh, I wish they paid ME instead of me paying them")

Step 3: There's you're start! Design your business around fixing the flaws with the market leader. Craft a communication plan and talk about how you will do things differently.

Step 4: Roll around on your giant piles of money!!!

• Like 9

Mike started a small thread about it himeslf: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/186258-first-ebay-now-game-stop/

The reaction wasn't positive.

I was not prepared for that post title or what Mike wrote in the OP. I actually burst out laughing

I think I am masochistic but hey, all in the name for making things better. Read on. . .

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/36532/Startup_Hopes_To_Disrupt_Used_Game_Market_By_Giving_Publishers_A_Cut.php

200.gif

• Like 8

$500m being 10% would actually mean $5 billion, not trillion. Still an outrageous number though and perfect evidence of his delusions of grandeur. He really wants to be crowned King of All Gaming.

Another thing to note in a Gamasutra article it specifically mentions Steve Tom Sawyer as his "business partner" and even part-time employee.

Damn your oily hide! Yeah yeah, I fixed it before you posted that. Math is hard.

He posted in the Gamasutra comments section, too.

Our plan is to concentrate on newer games. Once games devalue to the point where no one should consider trading it in, gamers can list their own games on GameGavel.com and make more money that way. We want to cover all the bases for gamers, gamer-to-gamer and retail-to-gamer. We will be paying gamers 30% + more than the corner retailer.

Dude. If it were so simple, everyone would be doing it, and they wouldn't need you.

quote-if-you-re-so-smart-why-aren-t-you-

• Like 4

Mike started a small thread about it himeslf: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/186258-first-ebay-now-game-stop/

Oh wow, I love that it's titled "First EBay now Game Stop" as if he successfully destroyed EBay's used video game business. I would've never guessed we'd have to go back nearly 5 years to find something even more bizarre to add to this saga. It's borderline unbelievable.

• Like 10

His entrepreneur-goggles, they do nothing!

"As far as GameFly is concerend, yesterday we just had one of their key execs reach out to us about early employment so seeing where that goes this morning."

Before Al or CPUWIZ tells us to stop dog piling and dredging up old posts, might I just point out that I think that this person's "serial entrepreneurism" deserves to be called out? Only from past mistakes can we learn and move forward.

• Like 8

This was posted in 2011, so I guess they're off the hook for giving back "up to" $500,000,000. Note: they would need to have done FIVE BILLION DOLLARS in sales to get up to that amount.

edit: billion, not trillion ... I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for that meddlesome SD&R

oh fur sure, he is delusional with making a namefor himself in this industry, he did, sadly not what he expected.

We should get a list with links and relevant stuff of all his schemes along the years,

Ugh. This is why I avoid mainstream game journalism like the plague.

"journalism"

• Like 2

It seems that the postalgamer concept suffered a name change and another attempted launch in April 2012 as EKGaming.com http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/169057/

There is also the 'everything but games' retro auction site from February 2009 http://www.worldamazingrecords.com/2009_02_08_archive.html

http://www.vendazzle.com

Oddly enough someone updated the record for that site in September last year.

• Like 4

I would've never guessed we'd have to go back nearly 5 years to find something even more bizarre to add to this saga. It's borderline unbelievable.

Well if we're going back 5 years, 2011 was a prolific year for Mike. There was also Gamerspots, which aimed to be the Yelp of game arcades & stores. Went live in April 2011, and stopped tweeting 2 weeks later. There was a website for a few years according to archive.org, but the page now says that they are "currently updating our database and servers to provide an even better experience":

• Like 9

I think PostalGamer was mentioned in the other thread; or at least I remember reading about it within the last year.

Also, don't forget he was also a part of a games KickStarter ironically for non-console platforms: Intellivision Gen2 Video Games For PC & MAC

I have no clue what he brought to that team.

Probably RETRO subscription rewards.

I forgot about that KS, I remember thinking $100K to remake 3 Intellivision games seemed like complete and utter madness.

• Like 3