IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

No, actually not. Everyone and their mother is named that though in these parts :)

I'm just glad that my first name is Nicholas, it makes it a lot easier to get about with old blighty and the US :)

• Like 1

Would be pretty awesome if Coleco approached some here on Atari Age and decided to fund a REAL system. With all the great and amazing talent that is here, that would be a project that would actually get off the ground and would come out. One person I think of as I typed that was kevtris. Probably will not happen, but would be pretty interesting to see and I would love to see a response from MK to that - would crack me up

• Like 3

The story of Mike Kennedy isn't over as long as he still has the Jag molds begging to make him money. If only he were satisfied just making replacement shells for Jaguar owners.

Edit: I've also been impressed with how Coleco and Chris presented themselves. They put forward a good business facing, yet didn't hide what was going on. Chris's interview in particular left a very good impression.

Oh I have a feeling that he wont be making any sort of money even with the ability to make shells for people to buy. With this whole fiasco, he has pretty much cemented others opinions of him, his business dealings, how he operates etc, and I do doubt people will be lining up and asking him to make shells.

Oh how sweet it is!

Regarding that, isn't it comme il faut that the 'wrongdoer' steps up with an apology/explanation? I mean, in the US. To get some sort of closure. People will then say "Well, he did come forward", and then time will tell.

• Like 1

Would be pretty awesome if Coleco approached some here on Atari Age and decided to fund a REAL system.

It's a nice thought, but Chris Cardillo implied in a recent interview that Coleco isn't interested in funding anything. They just want to license their brand to a completed and ready to manufacture system. That's what they thought they were doing with Mike, not a system that hadn't even begun development yet.

• Like 6

Do you guys write "retro gamer" or "retrogamer" ? I guess spacing them is correct like how "player" is separated from whatever sport is being played but I always want to combine retro gamer until the little squiggly red line tells me I'm an idiot.

Trying to bring the discussion back home. RETRO mag tells us video game is one word:

retro_mag.png

They should have called it the Retro VS and not Retro VGS. :)

• Like 3

It's a nice thought, but Chris Cardillo implied in a recent interview that Coleco isn't interested in funding anything. They just want to license their brand to a completed and ready to manufacture system. That's what they thought they were doing with Mike, not a system that hadn't even begun development yet.

What do you mean hadn't begun development? They had the Shells and Controllers. That's like 99,999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% ready.

• Like 8

Personally, I'd like to see a Coleco Mini.

The Colecovision was half empty anyway. All of the part with the controller paddles was empty inside I think.

It's like the TG-16 to some unreleased Coleco PC Engine.

The Coleco Engine, lol.

But, yeah, Something with the look of the Right Side of the ColecoVision that looks like it would be a good from the ground up holistic design.

• Like 5

Personally, I'd like to see a Coleco Mini.

The Colecovision was half empty anyway. All of the part with the controller paddles was empty inside I think.

I've seen a Colecovision console mod like that, and it was probably here that I saw it. The controllers don't have a home, but the machine is a nice little square box. It's like the reverse of a stretch limo, all the empty space in the middle is gone.

It wasn't this (most of all because this doesn't preserve any of the original case), but here's the general idea. http://www.slipperybrick.com/2008/08/mini-colecovision-case-mod-hits-ebay/

• Like 1

Oh I have a feeling that he wont be making any sort of money even with the ability to make shells for people to buy. With this whole fiasco, he has pretty much cemented others opinions of him, his business dealings, how he operates etc, and I do doubt people will be lining up and asking him to make shells.

If I were making a project, and I've occasionally dabbled in this, I would probably opt to use a new Jag shell if it was available. It'd give my project some personality.

However, I would NOT buy them from Mike Kennedy, even if it was an in-person deal and I had cash in hand. I just wouldn't do business with that guy. And if I ever saw his name even tangently connected to a project, I'd write it off immediately. I'm not trying to be a dick, but this fiasco shows that he poisons everything he touches.

• Like 2

I've seen a Colecovision console mod like that, and it was probably here that I saw it. The controllers don't have a home, but the machine is a nice little square box. It's like the reverse of a stretch limo, all the empty space in the middle is gone.

It wasn't this (most of all because this doesn't preserve any of the original case), but here's the general idea. http://www.slipperybrick.com/2008/08/mini-colecovision-case-mod-hits-ebay/

Nice, I just saw this one.

• Like 3

Like I said, I can understand "video game" at least, but I can NEVER understand when someone writes "X-box" or "X-Box" for "Xbox." That's a pet peeve of mine. I'd love to track down who the first doofus was who tried to write it like that (by the way, when the writing counts, I try to be a stickler for the official designation for product names from the company's themselves, e.g., "Game Boy" over "GameBoy" or "PlayStation" over "Playstation.").

Agreed. I always smile when I see Dr Pepper written correctly. Who knew there was no period?!

So I was bored and did a little google search on some common terms used lately to describe the mysterious Mr Lee (Li) as described by Piko member Eli. As it turns out there is a place on Earth that has lawyers, showers, and rooms named after movies. Netflix HQ. Now am I saying or suggesting that Netflix was kicking out fake prototypes, oh no, that is insane, and the background in the pics matches a residential not a commercial environment. Still, one heck of a Venn diagram.

The GoldenEye Room is a place where you get to kick back and relax, just like being at home, so it's no surprise it appears somewhat residential, it's by design. Out of shot there's a relaxing Chaise Lounge in the shape of Pierce Brosnan's lovely hair and an accompanying SeanBeanBag. Actually, if you look carefully, in one of the photos you can see a pair of slippers by the TV, zoom in x25 and you can read, in blue biro, "Name: Lee, Mr.".

• Like 2

Giant Bomb itself is a wiki for video games... Jeff Gertsmann went and deleted the Coleco Chameleon page.

That I don't agree with. They should just permanently modify the page to explain what happened. Even the actual Wiki page for the RVGS/Chameleon is starting to reflect what actually happened instead of being astroturfed.

Regarding that, isn't it comme il faut that the 'wrongdoer' steps up with an apology/explanation? I mean, in the US. To get some sort of closure. People will then say "Well, he did come forward", and then time will tell.

Yes, in the US when somebody in a professional capacity does wrong and gets exposed it is generally a good idea to take responsibility and come forward with a public apology. There's tons of politicians that have to do this. Business owners too, like BP during the oil spill. Sure some people will make fun of your apology, but it does help you save face and leave a positive legacy by acknowledging you were wrong, facing the consequences, and showing that you want this to be an example of what not to do.

The reason why Mike won't make a public statement is obvious when you read what I wrote- Mike is not a professional. He doesn't get how to conduct himself in a professional capacity as a CEO. That's why he makes up little bullshit titles for himself and his cronies. He probably doesn't even know what a COO actually does. In his mind, starting and managing a retro console business is like a trivia game about video game history. He should have a little bracelet that says "WWND?" (What Would Nintendo Do?). He thinks every problem he will encounter requires a Nintendo-like solution. When he wants to explain why he won't have patch and update support, well, Nintendo didn't have it! They made a seal of quality and likewise we'll check games to make sure they're up to spec!

So now, what happened when Nintendo was caught faking a prototype several times? It never happened, they're not stupid enough to get themselves into a mess like that. Mike has to deal with this problem all on his own but since there's no Nintendo-like solution from the past to look to for guidance, he turns and hides. His true nature is showing.

I need to take a break from Chameleon coverage on my channel but I'm considering making a video about this because I think this topic is worth expanding on. In a couple weeks if Mike's still silent I'll work on the video.

• Like 23

That I don't agree with. They should just permanently modify the page to explain what happened. Even the actual Wiki page for the RVGS/Chameleon is starting to reflect what actually happened instead of being astroturfed.

Yes, in the US when somebody in a professional capacity does wrong and gets exposed it is generally a good idea to take responsibility and come forward with a public apology. There's tons of politicians that have to do this. Business owners too, like BP during the oil spill. Sure some people will make fun of your apology, but it does help you save face and leave a positive legacy by acknowledging you were wrong, facing the consequences, and showing that you want this to be an example of what not to do.

The reason why Mike won't make a public statement is obvious when you read what I wrote- Mike is not a professional. He doesn't get how to conduct himself in a professional capacity as a CEO. That's why he makes up little bullshit titles for himself and his cronies. He probably doesn't even know what a COO actually does. In his mind, starting and managing a retro console business is like a trivia game about video game history. He should have a little bracelet that says "WWND?" (What Would Nintendo Do?). He thinks every problem he will encounter requires a Nintendo-like solution. When he wants to explain why he won't have patch and update support, well, Nintendo didn't have it! They made a seal of quality and likewise we'll check games to make sure they're up to spec!

So now, what happened when Nintendo was caught faking a prototype several times? It never happened, they're not stupid enough to get themselves into a mess like that. Mike has to deal with this problem all on his own but since there's no Nintendo-like solution from the past to look to for guidance, he turns and hides. His true nature is showing.

I need to take a break from Chameleon coverage on my channel but I'm considering making a video about this because I think this topic is worth expanding on. In a couple weeks if Mike's still silent I'll work on the video.

Thanks, I thought something like that.

"Apology is policy" or "Deny everything"

First to guess the show wins a no-price! :)

• Like 2

Cool. I have a ready-made console that I'm willing to license. Already has a huge game library...

post-2641-0-90907300-1457646966_thumb.jpg

:roll:

• Like 4