IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Off-Topic fantasy scenario:

If you could bring back one company from the ashes and resurrect a console they've made (perhaps with some design changes) into the current market...who would it be and why?

GCE and a color Vectrex. Why? Vectrex rules.

• Like 3

This is the first narcissistic apology I've ever seen.

I don't get it. What's narcissistic about it?

He apologized for his role in the Pat v. Gamester81 thing and he wants to move on.

I know some people got riled up about stuff he said, but the whole anti-Gamester81 crusade here was the stupidest detour this thread ever took. I don't even watch the guy, I'm not a fan, but even giving him attention in this whole thing was a waste of time. Let him be, he's a tiny piece in a larger puzzle.

Off-Topic fantasy scenario:

If you could bring back one company from the ashes and resurrect a console they've made (perhaps with some design changes) into the current market...who would it be and why?

Magnavox! I would love to see what an Odyssey 3 would look like! I have a special kind of love in my heart for that system. I always wondered what the console landscape would look like if they kept on with the home PC on your TV with controllers and keyboard built in concept.

• Like 7

He apologized for his role in the Pat v. Gamester81 thing and he wants to move on.

I know some people got riled up about stuff he said, but the whole anti-Gamester81 crusade here was the stupidest detour this thread ever took. I don't even watch the guy, I'm not a fan, but even giving him attention in this whole thing was a waste of time. Let him be, he's a tiny piece in a larger puzzle.

I don't get riled up and I don't watch him either, in fact this thread and one on Neo-Geo.com are the only times I've watched him. The gist of his video was "I already talked to Pat, but I need likes and views from strangers to validate my life, so here's me publicly apologizing to someone I already worked things out with in private." Pointless video IMO, but then again I don't get the whole YT thing for the most part.

• Like 4

Ugh. Trying to get in the final word is not how you let an argument die. This is how you let an argument die:

• Like 2

I agree with what Pat said in Part 2 of the CUPodcast wrap-up: a follow-up apology from Gamester81 was unnecessary. That said, he obviously felt he needed to make it, and now that it's out there, I think everything that needed to be said about that particular spat has been said, and the matter should probably be considered closed.

• Like 8

Well, naturally. That's what video bloggers do. Talk about stuff. Advertise stuff. Try to get hits and clicks and subscriptions and likes and 1up's..

Don't forget to subscribe! Did you remember to subscribe? CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE!!! I'M ALL DEAD INSIDE AND NEED SUBSCRIBERS TO MAKE ME FEEL ALIVE!!! HELP MEEEEE!!! LOVE MEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 14

Some of you guys need to understand that for many people, a YouTube channel is their side business, and a well-run channel has tremendous earning potential. We ask for subs because subs are obviously much more likely to watch future videos. Same reason that store owners encourage you to come back, or that big box stores almost all have loyalty cards. Gamester81 made a mistake in dealing with MK, and he is now trying to do some damage control in order to protect his brand.

• Like 15

.... but then everything said looks like it is directly tied to monetary interest and as such cannot be taken at face value, ever.

So an otherwise heartfelt "I am sorry" really means "I screwed up so bad that I started feeling the pinch on my wallet, let's make sure we stop bleeding money!! Oh ... that and I may be sorry, somewhat ... but then again Isis etc...".

• Like 7

^ That's true. But that actually helps moderate those channels. They have to listen to their audience because the audience becomes their boss once they turn their channel into a business. Even if he apologized only because it was the correct business move, I still say good on him for realizing something went wrong and he needed to make it right. So yeah, maybe his apology isn't heartfelt but it's the right thing to do in his capacity as the creator of his content on his channel.

Likewise (to bring the conversation back home) even if Mike doesn't feel he has a personal obligation to apologize to anyone for his shenanigans, I would hope he could understand that as a "CEO" it's the right thing to do for a business leader that made deceptive business decisions that took advantage of and embarrassed its supporters.

• Like 10

Some of you guys need to understand that for many people, a YouTube channel is their side business, and a well-run channel has tremendous earning potential. We ask for subs because subs are obviously much more likely to watch future videos. Same reason that store owners encourage you to come back, or that big box stores almost all have loyalty cards. Gamester81 made a mistake in dealing with MK, and he is now trying to do some damage control in order to protect his brand.

post-13-0-96906000-1458103148.png

post-13-0-96906000-1458103148_thumb.png

MONETIZE ME

Agreed. While I think Triverse did some good investigative journalism on the whole Chameleon fiasco, I think he also suffers from some of the same odd obsessive and pipedreamer qualities that Mike Kennedy expressed. Triverse seems to be obsessed with the name "Retro" for a magazine which frankly doesn't seem like a very valuable asset given everything that has happened here and the fact that there is already a great magazine out there called "Retro Gamer". Also, running a magazine with retail distribution requires a massive investment in writers and other staff. While Mike may have been able to string people along for a year and a half on a promise of sharing in the profits, you can bet that qualified journalists and writers are not going to make that mistake again. The whole premise of Retro was that some of the great team members from leading magazines of the 90s were going to be the staff behind it. I doubt backers are going to want additional issues of something by an entirely new team that is essentially a glorified fanzine. I think it's best to just let Retro die and if Triverse wants to create a new magazine, there will at least be one fewer competitor out there in an already dead marketplace.

I disagree here. I think fans have been dissatisfied with the current state of the REtro Mag, and if Triverse takes it over and turns it into a glorified fanzine with print media and subscriptions, then more power to him. Either way, the content will be better than what Mike Kennedy produced, and there is a good chance previous and new staffers may join Triverse in working on it. The only question remains does Triverse have the capital necessary to get two issues out to past backers and continue distribution until the money starts rolling in?

This has a good chance to succeed without MK's mismanagement and siphoning funds into Jag molds and Chameleon PR.

• Like 3

Sorry Dude, but I've seen your posts here, and I've seen your posts on PCENGINEFX, and I've actually looked at a couple of your videos on YouTube.

The big conclusion ... I don't owe you a living wage from your "side-business" of a YouTube Channel.

Nor do I owe John Lester (Gamester81) or Pat and Ian (Completely Unnecessary Podcast).

You're trying to say "interesting" things in order to sell my eyeballs to your advertisers ... I (OTOH) don't monetize my posts, nor do I particularly care if anyone reads them.

I'm having a "conversation", not trying to make a "buck". I thought that was the point of a public "forum".

I'm also giving away hundred/thousands of hours of my work in doing fan-translations and in trying to open-up obscure old computers/consoles to new folks ... because that interests me ... and not because I'm trying to "monetize" some fraking brief moment of "fame".

But that's just me. I'm "old", and I believe that some things are worth preserving, but I just don't fraking understand the "me" culture.

Edited by elmer
  • Like 15

I'm "old", and I believe that some things are worth preserving, but I just don't fraking understand the "me" culture.

At that rate almost anything can be considered "me culture". Did you write a book and sell it for profit with your name on the cover? Me culture. Star in a movie? Me culture. Did you study hard and get good grades in the hope of landing a good job? Me culture.

I see nothing wrong with people monetizing their interests since I believe time is valuable and people should place value on their work. If people don't like it then no one is forcing them to pay for it or view it. Also, there are (legal) ways to remove ads (YouTube Red) and the creator still makes a cut. It depends on what you desire.

Personally, I like podcasts, Let's Plays, and similar things from YouTubers. Not everyone needs to like that.

• Like 4

Sorry Dude, but I've seen your posts here, and I've seen your posts on PCENGINEFX, and I've actually looked at a couple of your videos on YouTube.

The big conclusion ... I don't owe you a live wage from your "side-business" of a YouTube Channel.

Nor do I owe John Lester (Gamester81) or Pat and Ian (Completely Unnecessary Podcast).

You're trying to say "interesting" things in order to sell my eyeballs to your advertisers ... I (OTOH) don't monetize my posts, nor do I particularly care if anyone reads them.

I'm having a "conversation", not trying to make a "buck".

I'm also giving away hundred/thousands of hours of my work in doing fan-translations and in trying to open-up obscure old computers/consoles to new folks ... because that interests me ... and not because I'm trying to "monetize" some fraking brief moment of "fame".

But that's just me. I'm "old", and I believe that some things are worth preserving, but I just don't fraking understand the "me" culture.

I re-read your post several times to try to understand the point, but I'm afraid that it escapes me. I never said that anyone owed me, or any other YouTube content creator, a living wage. I am sorry that you seem to think that anyone who creates YouTube content is either trying to cash in, or trying to become famous (some certainly are). I started making videos because I enjoyed it and because it's a creative outlet for me. That being said, my channel has become more popular than I ever expected it to, and I am not about to just leave money on the table because of some altruistic sense of community. Some of my videos take the better part of 100 hours to make and are enjoyed by 10's of thousands of viewers. So while it is true that YOU do not owe me a "living wage" for running my channel, I believe that I have earned the right to treat my channel like the business that it now is.

Would you also ask Bill Loguidice to start giving all of his books away for free? Is the fact that he writes them indicative of a narcissistic personality? Perhaps all of the homebrew games that Al sells in the AtariAge store should be sold at-cost? Certainly they should be devoid of any kind of creator credit lest they be accused of having an over-inflated ego. Should no one be able to make money doing something that they enjoy because it infringes on your personal views?

Your post seems to be laced with a hint of either bitterness or jealousy and I am having a hard time understanding where you are coming from.

• Like 10