IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

So is this what the thread has come to? No more Mike Kennedy shennanigans to go after so members of the site are now going at each other? Ya'll need to grow up.

Nah, members "going at each other" is, like, so four pages ago.

We're just waiting for Mike to complete his transformation by growing a mustache and taking a new job as a British butler.

• Like 3

Remember when "power goes in, video comes out" HW engineer Carlsen (this guy here

) wanted to use the 9 pins mini din connectors as in the Genny/MD model 2 for the RVGS AV connector? .... and that was justified by stating AV cables for Geeny/MD 2 were cheap and aplenty?

Well what do you know?

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?32413-Do-all-aftermarket-Model-2-A-V-cables-have-their-audio-channels-reversed

So had the RVGS been made, inverted stereo would also have been a "feature".

To be fair I don't think many people noticed, I thought my el-cheapo cable was to blame but apparently it is more widespread.

Remember when "power goes in, video comes out" HW engineer Carlsen (this guy here

) wanted to use the 9 pins mini din connectors as in the Genny/MD model 2 for the RVGS AV connector? .... and that was justified by stating AV cables for Geeny/MD 2 were cheap and aplenty?

Well what do you know?

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?32413-Do-all-aftermarket-Model-2-A-V-cables-have-their-audio-channels-reversed

So had the RVGS been made, inverted stereo would also have been a "feature".

To be fair I don't think many people noticed, I thought my el-cheapo cable was to blame but apparently it is more widespread.

I'm not believing there was a whole thread about that and mentioning of trying to find the correct cables in it. Just plug them in the way it works, swap red and white. If it bugs them too much they could have just got some red and white tape and taped over the connectors to make the colors right. I would have been glad they were stereo and not dual mono like was also mentioned in the thread.

I'm not believing there was a whole thread about that and mentioning of trying to find the correct cables in it. Just plug them in the way it works, swap red and white. If it bugs them too much they could have just got some red and white tape and taped over the connectors to make the colors right. I would have been glad they were stereo and not dual mono like was also mentioned in the thread.

Not quite. It seemed to me, based on the rather ambiguous wording of the OP, that the mono mix was on the red cable and the right channel on the white cable, meaning nowhere was it possible to access the left channel discretely. So swapping the cables won't fix it.

One reason I love the 8-pin DIN on the Genesis Model 1, you can wire in a common MIDI cable and splice it to dual RCA, then run the headphone jack set to volume 5 into an 1/8" phono to dual RCA male plugged straight into the stereo system. My Genesis is the "dreaded" VA7, with heavy distortion on the mono mix through the AV port and the RF, but the headphone output is crystal clear stereo bliss.

Also I bought a third party cable for the Model 1 Genesis on Amazon, and not only was it unshielded, but so thin and crappy that the composite feed was actually muh worse than the RF. I tossed the piece of crap, rolled my own solution with off the shelf Radio Shack (may they R.I.P.) audio cables, and never looked back. The 8-pin DIN cables were only needed if you wanted RGB video, which is rare in North America.

ah, but RGB is worth the effort :)

It is moot if I don't have a TV (modern or retro) that supports RGB, and don't feel the need to mod a bunch of consoles and buy a $300 upscaler (which adds lag btw). All my CRTs are composite or RF only, and composite (and sometimes even RF) can still look great on old TVs.

the left audio channel (and mono audio) is on the red cable

The wording here is ambiguous. AFAIK, there is three audio connections on the miniDIN port, left, right, and mono mix. If one of the channels is mono mix as opposed to discrete left or right, then the end user is not getting proper stereo balance with an improperly wired cable.

Extrapolating the missing channel would require subtracting the left or right audio from the "mix" side and accounting for any changes in gain level. You would need a fairly sophisticated mixer to do this.

• Like 1

So I've started listening at work to a bunch of a Retro VGS/Coleco Chamelon stuff podcasts and YouTube stuff. You may be asking yourself 'why in the hell would you subject yourself to that?' It's a good question. :)

I decided to do so for three reasons:

1) Things happened SO fast and furious during the height of it that I missed a ton of stuff and info on what people were saying.

2) As a historian, this kind of stuff fascinates me.

3) Over a year has passed since the end of it, which is a good mark for retrospective,

I'll have some thoughts on what I've learned tomorrow, when I'm done listening, (there's over 75 things to listen to!) but I will say this:

We should be damn proud of ourselves for the work we did. Every single podcast or YouTube clip about this -- EVERY SINGLE ONE -- has either directly said AtariAge or referenced to it. It really got the name of the board and the fine people in here out in the world and we made it happen. Good work everyone! :)

Edited by SoulBlazer
  • Like 10

The wording here is ambiguous. AFAIK, there is three audio connections on the miniDIN port, left, right, and mono mix. If one of the channels is mono mix as opposed to discrete left or right, then the end user is not getting proper stereo balance with an improperly wired cable.

Extrapolating the missing channel would require subtracting the left or right audio from the "mix" side and accounting for any changes in gain level. You would need a fairly sophisticated mixer to do this.

I wasn't trying to say you are wrong I was just showing where I got the info from. I assumed that what the user actually meant anyway was that they got left and right swapped and that he assumed that left was meant for mono too, and not knowing there was a completely different pin for mono. I doubt they would have soldered a wire to both the pin for mono and left like he described but anything is possible I guess.

I wasn't trying to say you are wrong I was just showing where I got the info from. I assumed that what the user actually meant anyway was that they got left and right swapped and that he assumed that left was meant for mono too, and not knowing there was a completely different pin for mono. I doubt they would have soldered a wire to both the pin for mono and left like he described but anything is possible I guess.

To be sure, someone needs to take the exact cable in question and check the pinout with a multimeter.

I'll have some thoughts on what I've learned tomorrow, when I'm done listening, (there's over 75 things to listen to!)

There's one podcast that's impossible to find, it wasn't even that great, but dammit I want to listen to it again! It was a Retro VGS podcast, I shit you not, a podcast dedicated solely to the Retro VGS. It feels like I'm writing creepy pasta since few people remember this, but I swear it's all true.

The funny thing is that I was almost a co-host on it. It was back on NeoGAF and I got a PM from a guy asking if we could talk about the console. I was a huge critic of the console from the beginning and I recognized this user was a huge defender of it. This was way before the IndieGoGo, back when they still thought they were going to Kickstarter and there was a ton of OUYA-like support for Mike's idea. I didn't want to bother arguing with someone so deep into supporting the console that they were starting a podcast just to parrot Mike's propaganda so I never returned his message and just let it be.

He eventually got YouTuber PickyOldGamer to be his co-host and they made only one episode. I remember listening to it while playing Sir You Are Being Hunted. It wasn't bad, you can tell it was their first attempt at a podcast but he kept the conversation going at a good pace. The host also had an Irish (?) accent which was cool, people like hearing various English accents in podcasts, and the effect was multiplied because POG has a deep Texan accent. I recall they mostly debated the price point (I think this was just after the $300 price reveal), talked about the games announced for it so far and described their plans to use the podcast to follow the console's library as time went on. They left off on a sort of cliffhanger where they would come back after the Kickstarter reveal.

Then shit immediately hit the fan. The host was shocked that Mike would make a last minute switch to Indiegogo and that they had no prototype this whole time. So he panicked and scuttled the operation, he deleted the podcast entirely off the web and disappeared. The saddest part is that he didn't even tell POG anything, he just abandoned him. I know because I communicated with both of them privately in the aftermath and tried to mediate things between them to keep the podcast going but the host was too embarrassed to continue any support for the RVGS and POG felt too betrayed to work anything out. I even told the host that this story was only going to get better and more popular so he should continue but he wouldn't hear me out. And that was the end of the RVGS podcast.

I wonder what would have happened had I taken up his offer and joined him on the podcast. I can only imagine that I would have dedicated all my RVGS efforts to it and therefore none of my videos would have ever been made. Even after he quit and ran away I probably would have felt burned just like POG and not have had the will to involve myself any further with the console, so again no videos by me. But another part of me wonders what would have happened if the podcast was successful? I think it would have had a neat dynamic to hear a strong supporter vs. a strong critic debating the issues that came up around this story. Maybe I could have convinced him to keep the podcast going. Maybe I could have turned him from a supporter into a critic as well. Would we still be doing the podcast today?

That one episode alone would be interesting to hear because a lot of RVGS podcast appearances were just Mike being interviewed or a five minute news item, but this podcast was just two random guys who were genuine believers, excited to get their hands on it from a consumer level and I don't think there was any other podcast that truly documented that angle.

• Like 8

There's one podcast that's impossible to find, it wasn't even that great, but dammit I want to listen to it again! It was a Retro VGS podcast, I shit you not, a podcast dedicated solely to the Retro VGS. It feels like I'm writing creepy pasta since few people remember this, but I swear it's all true.

The funny thing is that I was almost a co-host on it. It was back on NeoGAF and I got a PM from a guy asking if we could talk about the console. I was a huge critic of the console from the beginning and I recognized this user was a huge defender of it. This was way before the IndieGoGo, back when they still thought they were going to Kickstarter and there was a ton of OUYA-like support for Mike's idea. I didn't want to bother arguing with someone so deep into supporting the console that they were starting a podcast just to parrot Mike's propaganda so I never returned his message and just let it be.

He eventually got YouTuber PickyOldGamer to be his co-host and they made only one episode. I remember listening to it while playing Sir You Are Being Hunted. It wasn't bad, you can tell it was their first attempt at a podcast but he kept the conversation going at a good pace. The host also had an Irish (?) accent which was cool, people like hearing various English accents in podcasts, and the effect was multiplied because POG has a deep Texan accent. I recall they mostly debated the price point (I think this was just after the $300 price reveal), talked about the games announced for it so far and described their plans to use the podcast to follow the console's library as time went on. They left off on a sort of cliffhanger where they would come back after the Kickstarter reveal.

Then shit immediately hit the fan. The host was shocked that Mike would make a last minute switch to Indiegogo and that they had no prototype this whole time. So he panicked and scuttled the operation, he deleted the podcast entirely off the web and disappeared. The saddest part is that he didn't even tell POG anything, he just abandoned him. I know because I communicated with both of them privately in the aftermath and tried to mediate things between them to keep the podcast going but the host was too embarrassed to continue any support for the RVGS and POG felt too betrayed to work anything out. I even told the host that this story was only going to get better and more popular so he should continue but he wouldn't hear me out. And that was the end of the RVGS podcast.

I wonder what would have happened had I taken up his offer and joined him on the podcast. I can only imagine that I would have dedicated all my RVGS efforts to it and therefore none of my videos would have ever been made. Even after he quit and ran away I probably would have felt burned just like POG and not have had the will to involve myself any further with the console, so again no videos by me. But another part of me wonders what would have happened if the podcast was successful? I think it would have had a neat dynamic to hear a strong supporter vs. a strong critic debating the issues that came up around this story. Maybe I could have convinced him to keep the podcast going. Maybe I could have turned him from a supporter into a critic as well. Would we still be doing the podcast today?

That one episode alone would be interesting to hear because a lot of RVGS podcast appearances were just Mike being interviewed or a five minute news item, but this podcast was just two random guys who were genuine believers, excited to get their hands on it from a consumer level and I don't think there was any other podcast that truly documented that angle.

Somebody somewhere has a copy sitting on their harddrive. If we are lucky, they may read this thread and repost it. I would like to hear it.

Search for RetroVGSClub In the RVGS thread. He also posted about it here: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=179974526&postcount=500

Ummm, so I want every episode so bad!!!!!!!